No announcement yet.

Scary Clowns in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The two scariest clowns are the ones debating tomorrow night.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
      About 5 or 6 times over the years.
      1985, and I still think it was the absolute pinnacle of his career. I am very glad that it was over 1100 pages long, it was that kind of a book.

I could be critical and bring up some flaws in the book, but as I recall, there weren't any.
      The problem with him is that they keep making movies of his books, and there's only been one of them that was good - and King explicitly hated that interpretation.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
        The problem with him is that they keep making movies of his books, and there's only been one of them that was good - and King explicitly hated that interpretation.
        Actually there are more than 1. Stand By Me and The Shawshank Redemption are Stephen King stories and both are excellent movies. And The Mist was good as well.

And if you're talking about Kubrick's The Shining being good, well we'll just have to disagree about that overlong, overacted, boring, not scary movie.
        Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
          Actually there are more than 1. Stand By Me and The Shawshank Redemption are Stephen King stories and both are excellent movies. And The Mist was good as well.

And if you're talking about Kubrick's The Shining being good, well we'll just have to disagree about that overlong, overacted, boring, not scary movie.
          Sorry, I meant for his horror-related stuff. When it comes to his non-horror short-stories, there are some damn good work done.

But once he starts talking about ass weasels and Tommyknockers, it really starts to lose any impact on the screen. Have you ever sat through The Shining television series?

Comment

Paul
            ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
            All human ills he can subdue,
            Or with a bauble or medal
            Can win mans heart for you;
            And many a blessing know to stew
            To make a megloamaniac bright;
            Give honour to the dainty Corse,
            The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
              Sorry, I meant for his horror-related stuff. When it comes to his non-horror short-stories, there are some damn good work done.

But once he starts talking about ass weasels and Tommyknockers, it really starts to lose any impact on the screen. Have you ever sat through The Shining television series?
              No, I couldn't make it through the whole way. Same for The Stand. Ugh.
              Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                No, I couldn't make it through the whole way. Same for The Stand. Ugh.
                The problem with the TV series is that he often has too much input into them and, being a writer, doesn't really grasp the pacing issues with film or television.

I quite enjoyed The Shining movie despite some flaws, but I sorta saw the biggest flaws as being inherent to the written story - the whole "Shining" component was functionally useless to the story and just dragged the pacing down. That is one of the ways that adapting his works struggles, since they're pretty dense in content that can be detrimental to film.

When it comes to books, he can afford to take his time and go for such diversions. But in the film, all the explosion about "shining" added nothing to the film. But you can't exactly adapt a book called 'The Shining' to film and not include any Shining.

Heck, at least 'It' had the decency to cut out things like how the young girl had to have sex with all of her underage friends to help defeat the giant space spider... which, like so many King books, gives us a total "What the hell!?" moment when said aloud.

Though King did do 'Maximum Overdrive', which may just be a great example of self-parody...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X