Hoboken station crash: New Jersey train disaster 'kills three'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoboken station crash: New Jersey train disaster 'kills three'

At least three people are reported to have been killed and more than 100 injured, many of them critically, after a commuter train crashed into a railway station in the US state of New Jersey.
    The train reportedly went through ticket barriers and into the reception area of Hoboken station.
    Images show extensive damage to the train carriages and station, with part of the building roof caved in.
    People are said to be trapped in the wrecked carriages.
    Hoboken is across the Hudson River from New York City. Many commuters use the busy station to travel into Manhattan.
    Follow latest updates
    In pictures: Hoboken train crash
    A spokeswoman for New Jersey Transit, Jennifer Nelson, told reporters that 20 ambulances had arrived at the scene to take the injured to hospital.
    'Horror scene'

Ben Fairclough, a witness who was at the station, told the BBC: "I wasn't on the train, but I arrived just after it happened. There was water coming down off the roof and people climbing out through the windows.
    "There were people sitting down with blood coming from their head. There were lots of injuries."
    Commuter Mark Cardona described a "horror scene" at the station.
    "I was on my way to work. I was halfway along the platform when I saw a runaway train coming at me.
    "It went full speed into and then through the building,
    "I froze. People were screaming... The ceiling started to collapse. I ran for my life."
    New Jersey Transit posted on Twitter that the service out of Hoboken station had been suspended as a result of the crash.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37503920

So sad, prayers for them and theirs...
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37503920

BBC is now reporting only one dead but still many injured.

Also heard on the news that despite being ordered the train company effectively refused to implement more advanced safety improvements on its trains as required by the local authorities?
    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
      Also heard on the news that despite being ordered the train company effectively refused to implement more advanced safety improvements on its trains as required by the local authorities?
      This is false. The implementation date for Positive Train Control was pushed back until 2018. Many reasons for the delays are actually government sided not industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
        http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37503920

Yeah I was wondering about that, why no emergency breaking system outside of the cars? A couple of photo cells to indicate velocity and any number of means to stop the train...
        Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
          Yeah I was wondering about that, why no emergency breaking system outside of the cars? A couple of photo cells to indicate velocity and any number of means to stop the train...
          Any time that more advanced safety technology is available but not in use the answer is always the same - money.

The airlines fail to implement safety features until forced to all of the time, and so does rail transport.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by BigDog View Post
            This is false. The implementation date for Positive Train Control was pushed back until 2018. Many reasons for the delays are actually government sided not industry.
            I didn't know that that mandate extended to NJ Transit. I thought that it was only Metro-North, at least for the time being.
            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

RIP to the victims. Hopefully they can figure out how this happened and prevent such a mistake in the future.
              Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
              Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Working...
              X