Who won the debate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who won the debate?

Simple question: which candidate "won" tonight's debate. Not which candidate you like the most, or which one you think wins by default, but just which candidate was the evening's victor.
    Trump
    28.00%
    Clinton
    72.00%

I don't think there was a clear winner. I think at best, Trump eked out a very slight win.

I say this because on the whole, Clinton relied on a weak rhetorical response or answer much of the time, particularly when challenged on her record.
    Hillary also seemed to laugh and dismiss anything Trump said with her facial features and body language.

Neither candidate really scored anything close to a mortal wound on the other.

I also think whoever writes Hillary's "zingers" needs to be fired with prejudice. She repeated that lame "Trumped up... Trickle down" joke several times. It was just lame.

I also think Hillary made a mistake at the 1 hr 35 minute point going personal about women with Trump. That just came off mean.

Bottom line: A draw.

Comment

Clinton is a great lier and it shows.
      We hunt the hunters

Comment

If some one can post more than 5 coherent paragraphs that he said in the debate I'll be damned. Use the transcripts.

The man is a mess.
        “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
        “To talk of many things:
        Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
        Of cabbages—and kings—
        And why the sea is boiling hot—
        And whether pigs have wings.”
        ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
          If some one can post more than 5 coherent paragraphs that he said in the debate I'll be damned. Use the transcripts.

The man is a mess.
          What debate were you watching? Both candidates were reasonably coherent. I will say there was far more rhetoric from Clinton than Trump but I don't think either scored a major victory.

Comment

The debates rarely mean st Reagan was beaten by Mondale,W by Kerry and Obama by Romney so it may give a bump to the winner but it won't ultimately decide the winner.

Comment

Originally posted by VinceW View Post
              The debates rarely mean st Reagan was beaten by Mondale,W by Kerry and Obama by Romney so it may give a bump to the winner but it won't ultimately decide the winner.
              Pretty much agree. I was only in and out for the first hour or so, but I did not see anything that said that one person outdid the other. AP has a story out about a "bruising debate," but does not signify a winner.

Most of the tweeted comments I read during the debate went along the lines of "it is clear why the voters dislike both these candidates."

If it has any effect, we will see in the upcoming polls over the next few weeks.

T.

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post

The man is a mess.
                You saw what you wanted to see. That is all.

Tuebor.

Comment

I didn't vote, because the "real" choice was win, lose, or draw. Not Win or lose.

T.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                    Simple question: which candidate "won" tonight's debate. Not which candidate you like the most, or which one you think wins by default, but just which candidate was the evening's victor.
                    Neither. However, the momentum in the polls has been in Trump's favor. Hillary needed a convincing win, IMHO, to slow or reverse that trend. A tie will do her no good. When the next few sets of polls come out over the next few weeks we will know.

Tuebor

Comment

Trump bombed badly, he came off like a rambling buffoon gripping the podium for dear life as he babbled incoherently. He needed to come off looking like a president. Hillary on the other hand came off calm and collected, she looked and spoke like a president.

Any of the other Republican candidates would have cleaned Hillary's clock tonight.

Comment

I will say this: On the economy, Trump hammered Hillary in the opening ten minutes or so. All she had was the usual Social and Economic justice wealth redistribution crap as a response while Trump had what could be called fresh ideas. Her absolutely lame "Trumped up... Trickle down" one-liner fell absolutely flat.

Beyond that, I don't think either exhibited any particular skill that justifies a claim to a win.

Comment

Trump came across as slightly inarticulate and unpolished. These flaws will not be noticed by his followers. It is a different matter for the undecided. He made some factual errors, for example the murder rate in NYC, which gives ammo to those that find him unpresidental. The only plus for Trump from this debate is he didn't come across as an attack dog. The undecided would probably like him to be less defensive and better prepared maybe even admit some past mistakes.

Clinton seemed surprisingly vigorous and in control unfortunately for her the secret service reinforced her health issues by being obviously prepared to catch her when she went off stage. Trump is right to question if she has the stamina for the presidency. Of course FDR comes to mind and combined with his obese hacker comment he still has a problem not appearing crude.

I gave the debate to Clinton but neither will benefit from this debate in the election.
                          We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by Tuebor View Post
                            You saw what you wanted to see. That is all.

Tuebor.
                            No, I'll read the actual transcripts, will you???
                            “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                            “To talk of many things:
                            Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                            Of cabbages—and kings—
                            And why the sea is boiling hot—
                            And whether pigs have wings.”
                            ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                              What debate were you watching? Both candidates were reasonably coherent. I will say there was far more rhetoric from Clinton than Trump but I don't think either scored a major victory.
                              I was about to ask you the same thing.

About the best I've seen from Trump supporters has been "he didn't do that badly" - and that was from someone who also claimed that they gave Hillary more time to speak.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X