No announcement yet.

Bomb explosion in New York.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyways,nas has already been mentioned, the pressure cooker device as used in Boston has been online cor sometime, so any old tosser can use one. At this time there's no obvious link between the Chelsea NYC bombs and the Seaside NJ bombs, or any known terrorist organization. In light of recent vigilante attacks against Bangladeshis in Queens, the authorities are being tight lipped, lest they inadvertently inspire another ******* to stab an elderly woman carrying groceries.
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
      Anyways,nas has already been mentioned, the pressure cooker device as used in Boston has been online cor sometime, so any old tosser can use one. At this time there's no obvious link between the Chelsea NYC bombs and the Seaside NJ bombs, or any known terrorist organization. In light of recent vigilante attacks against Bangladeshis in Queens, the authorities are being tight lipped, lest they inadvertently inspire another ******* to stab an elderly woman carrying groceries.
      There is an obvious link. It is between the jihadi ceaselessly exhorting his brothers and sisters to kill the infidel, especially in America and France, and events like this.

It does not mean it is an Islamic inspired attack, there is not enough evidence to say that, but in 2016, a mass casualty attack is more likely to be this than anything else.
      Ne Obliviscaris, Sans Peur

Comment

Assuming that the bombsquad defused one then there is a awful lot of things they can learn. Hell with a lot of luck they have the bomb maker's dna.

Patience isn't sexy in the world any more. But it's what is needed right now.
        "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

Is there any truth to a note found near the pressure cooker that's written in Arabic? I also heard about a 911 call threatening more bombs. I heard it reported on CBS radio news while I was driving around this morning.
          "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

I think the officials ruling out "international terrorism" as a source of this attack is premature. I also think the person(s) responsible will be placing more devices in the coming days.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
              I think the officials ruling out "international terrorism" as a source of this attack is premature. I also think the person(s) responsible will be placing more devices in the coming days.
              They haven't ruled it out - they're just being responsible and saying there is no proof yet which indeed appears to be the case. It may be that it is and it may be that it isn't. You sound as if you're actually hoping for more bombs to support whatever agenda you have. Sad.
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                They haven't ruled it out - they're just being responsible and saying there is no proof yet which indeed appears to be the case. It may be that it is and it may be that it isn't. You sound as if you're actually hoping for more bombs to support whatever agenda you have. Sad.
                Actually, they all but have...

Officials declined to comment on why they seemed confident in ruling out a link to an international terrorist group but they noted that there had been no claim of responsibility from any terror network. In contrast, the Islamic State was quick on Sunday to claim a stabbing attack Saturday night at a Minnesota shopping mall that left nine people injured.
                http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/breaki...Kz&ocid=SMSDHP

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                  There was no claim of responsibility after the Boston bombing. I doubt there will be here either.

This feels very similar to the Boston attack, I suspect that the perpetrators will be similar. i would be very surprised if there wasn't a connection with the New Jersey attack.
                  Any one in the vicinity should be extra careful in the coming fortnight.
                  "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Escape2Victory View Post
                    There is an obvious link. It is between the jihadi ceaselessly exhorting his brothers and sisters to kill the infidel, especially in America and France, and events like this.
                    Or the perp can be motivated by left-leaning sentiments, or environmental sentiments, or right-leaning sentiments, as was mentioned earlier in this thread. NYC has long been a target of terrorists from all points of the political spectrum. Indeed, since the neighborhood in question, Chelsea, has long been associated with the LBGT community, it might be premature to discount an anti-gay motive.

Maybe. At least to the public, authorities have announced virtually nothing. So where you're getting "obvious" from remains something of a mystery -- empirically speaking, that is.

Originally posted by Escape2Victory View Post
                    It does not mean it is an Islamic inspired attack, there is not enough evidence to say that, but in 2016, a mass casualty attack is more likely to be this than anything else.
                    That too has yet to be seen.

Originally posted by DARKPLACE View Post
                    Assuming that the bombsquad defused one then there is a awful lot of things they can learn.
                    Perhaps, but the days of closely held professional "tradecraft" are pretty much passed. The internet has pretty much killed official secrecy. The Boston Marathon pressure-cooker bomb was a harbinger of the future: terrorism on the cheap for the amateur terrorist, available to any schmuck within driving distance of a Wal-Mart or Target. Indeed, the Oklahoma City bombers chose ammonium nitrate in a truck because they wanted to show that they could do it bigger and better than the 1993 World Trade Center bombers. I fear that the future of terrorism will be small cheap attacks, perpetrated by amateurs using knowledge gained from Google, and supplies purchased from 'most any popular retail establishment.

Hell with a lot of luck they have the bomb maker's dna.
                    Can never discount the luck factor.

Patience isn't sexy in the world any more. But it's what is needed right now.
                    Agree 1,000%. That being said, jumping to conclusions will not aid the investigators in any way.
                    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                      There was no claim of responsibility after the Boston bombing. I doubt there will be here either.

This feels very similar to the Boston attack, I suspect that the perpetrators will be similar. i would be very surprised if there wasn't a connection with the New Jersey attack.
                      Any one in the vicinity should be extra careful in the coming fortnight.
                      That's close to my view... Probably Islamic inspired terrorists, maybe or maybe not connected to overseas groups but acting on Islamic reasons. Coordinated? Likely too. At least three locations involved, possibly more. If the bombs are found to be similar, then the odds jump significantly.

I'd also expect more bombings in the very near future.

Comment

I expect cell phone jammers for civic events to become popular. (To block detonation signals...)
                        Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                          I expect cell phone jammers for civic events to become popular. (To block detonation signals...)
                          The problem with that is that violates FCC regulations and federal law. It'd take an act of Congress... literally... to allow jamming civil communications inside the US.

One thing to note, is that now the "experts" are saying the NY bombs used a pressure cooker and were similar in design to the Boston marathon bombs.

At the same time, other evidence from the bomb seemed to point overseas. Pressure cookers have been a container of choice for many improvised explosive devices over the years. They were used in the deadly Boston Marathon bombings in 2013 based on a model in publications put out by Al Qaeda’s affiliate in Yemen.
                          http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/breaki...Kz&ocid=SMSDHP

That seems to belie de Blasio's and other's commentary that it wasn't connected to overseas terrorist groups.

Comment

Yeah at this point I'd be willing to take any size bet that it wasn't a jihadi. (I think its rather sad that some here are saying it could be anyone else...)
                            Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Or the perp can be motivated by left-leaning sentiments, or environmental sentiments, or right-leaning sentiments, as was mentioned earlier in this thread. NYC has long been a target of terrorists from all points of the political spectrum. Indeed, since the neighborhood in question, Chelsea, has long been associated with the LBGT community, it might be premature to discount an anti-gay motive.

Maybe. At least to the public, authorities have announced virtually nothing. So where you're getting "obvious" from remains something of a mystery -- empirically speaking, that is.

That too has yet to be seen.

Perhaps, but the days of closely held professional "tradecraft" are pretty much passed. The internet has pretty much killed official secrecy. The Boston Marathon pressure-cooker bomb was a harbinger of the future: terrorism on the cheap for the amateur terrorist, available to any schmuck within driving distance of a Wal-Mart or Target. Indeed, the Oklahoma City bombers chose ammonium nitrate in a truck because they wanted to show that they could do it bigger and better than the 1993 World Trade Center bombers. I fear that the future of terrorism will be small cheap attacks, perpetrated by amateurs using knowledge gained from Google, and supplies purchased from 'most any popular retail establishment.

Can never discount the luck factor.

Agree 1,000%. That being said, jumping to conclusions will not aid the investigators in any way.
                              It's just a statistical thing. Of course there are a wide variety of nutters from all sides of the spectrum for who NY is an attractive target, anti gay, anti capitalist. If there was an attempt to kill lots of people, the jihadi sits top of the suspect list because they have the strongest track record based on the recent past. You are of course free to name the group who has a worse record of mass casualty attacks and attempted attacks, in the West. So who would that be please?
                              Ne Obliviscaris, Sans Peur

Comment

A third bomb.

ELIZABETH, N.J. (AP) — A suspicious device found in a trash can near a New Jersey train station exploded early Monday as a bomb squad was attempting to disarm it with a robot, officials said.
                                Elizabeth Mayor Christian Bollwage said that the FBI was working to disarm one of five devices found in the same bag, which was discovered in a trash can by two men around 8:30 p.m. Sunday, near the Elizabeth train station on New Jersey Transit's Northeast Corridor rail line. The men had reported seeing wires and a pipe coming out of the package, Bollwage said.
                                There was no immediate report of injuries or damage. A message left with the FBI wasn't immediately returned. The mayor warned that other explosions were expected.

NJ Transit service was suspended early Monday between Newark Liberty Airport and Elizabeth, and New Jersey-bound Amtrak trains were being held at New York Penn Station, officials said, while New York-bound Amtrak trains were being held in Trenton.
                                Train passengers reported being stuck on Amtrak and NJ Transit trains for hours Sunday night, while some trains moved in reverse to let passengers off at other stations. Amtrak said 2,400 passengers were affected and that trains were being brought into other stations for people to get other transportation. It wasn't clear when the Elizabeth station would be open, a threat to cause major issues on the Monday morning commute into New York.
                                The discovery of the suspicious package comes a day after an explosion in Manhattan injured 29 people, and an unexploded pressure-cooker device was found four blocks away. Also Saturday, a pipe bomb exploded about an hour from the Elizabeth train station in Seaside Park, New Jersey, forcing the cancellation of a military charity 5K run. Officials said it didn't appear that those two incidents were connected, though they weren't ruling anything out.
                                Investigators didn't immediately comment on whether they thought the Elizabeth incident was connected to either of the two blasts.
                                Bollwage said that he wasn't willing to say that Elizabeth had become a target, and that it was possible that someone worried about the authorities was trying to get rid of the package.
                                "I'm extremely concerned for the residents of the community, but more importantly extremely concerned for everyone in the state and country where someone can just go and drop a backpack into a garbage can that has multiple explosives in it with no timers and then you have to wonder how many people could have been hurt," Bollwage said.
                                ___
                                This story has been corrected to show that the bag was found around 8:30 p.m., not 9:30 p.m

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/1749e...g-investigated
                                Credo quia absurdum.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X