Killing ourselves by the plane load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phil74501 View Post
    16 minutes every 100 miles, times 4 for 400 miles, is 64 minutes. I was rounding off when I stated an hour. I would hope your driving is better than YOUR math. As for the rest, yes, there are too many variables to ever get an accurate amount of time saved. Whether you make 1 or 100 toilet breaks is irrelevant to how much time you would save driving. X amount of time spent in the toilet is X amount of time no matter how fast you drive.
    Calculate it properly

400 divided by the speed times 60 - distance/speed x 60 gives

at 65 mph = 369 minutes
    at 75 mph = 320 minutes

Saving of 49 minutes

Moreover unless you can go from 75 mph to zero mph (and from 0 mph to 75 mph) instantly without a spreading your self into a thin paste over the windscreen or rear window given the incredible G force that would generate, the number of stops in your journey are going to have a significant effect on your total time in motion. Unless of course you have a Kzin inertialess drive (See Larry Niven's Kzin SF stories)
    Last edited by MarkV; 05 Sep 16, 10:19.
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
      Sadly the truckers of today are little better. In the little time I spend on the Interstates they are falling into many of the bad habits as well. I got 40 tons and 18 wheels and fk ya, get out of my way. Your profession use to be made up of the best drivers on the road. I'm not sure if I can rate them as anything but average today.
      Agreed, and thus the last sentence of my post.
      If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
        Calculate it properly

400 divided by the speed times 60 - distance/speed x 60 gives

at 65 mph = 369 minutes
        at 75 mph = 320 minutes

Saving of 49 minutes

Moreover unless you can go from 75 mph to zero mph (and from 0 mph to 75 mph) instantly without a spreading your self into a thin paste over the windscreen or rear window given the incredible G force that would generate, the number of stops in your journey are going to have a significant effect on your total time in motion. Unless of course you have a Kzin inertialess drive (See Larry Niven's Kzin SF stories)
        Also the minute you save may be your last.
        "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

Originally posted by jonny87kz View Post
          Also the minute you save may be your last.
          More to the point it may be someone else's last. I lost some good university friends to a stupid speeding lorry driver
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
            Klaudia Tanner
            by casanova
            During a speech by the Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner to the soldiers one soldier fell down. The minister helped him to stand up again. The...
            Yesterday, 23:56
          • Karri
            Doom Patrol
            by Karri
            Anyone else following?

IMO, it's one of the rare good things to come from this whole superhero genre (which is really mostly the same as...
            Yesterday, 23:55
          • Nikki
            Iranian Nuclear Program Setback
            by Nikki
            Iran's nuclear program was at an advanced stage, this had to be done. Israel carried out this mission to buy the world some more time....
            Yesterday, 23:03
          Working...
          X