Killing ourselves by the plane load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killing ourselves by the plane load

What's Driving the Massive Surge in Traffic Deaths?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/...cid=spartandhp

IMO lack of attention for the most part followed by speeding, alcohol, drugs and little formal drivers ed. The left lane isn't for just cruising down the roads, it's to pass

Is passing on the right legal in the US?
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Mobile phone use while driving has been banned in the UK for some time. The article mentions that it is common in the US. Easy solution to ban it. If you are driving you should be concentrating on the road, not posting on Internet forums.
    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

I'm all for banning them while driving. Heck also for walking.

Driving is serious business which should have our full concentration.

Interesting data on the subject here.

http://www.cellular-news.com/car_bans/

Comment

The lack of anything approaching competency while driving is huge.

Followed by cell phones.

Then Driving drunk or high.

You really want to see incompetency on the road, turn on blue lights and try to run Code to a hot call (robbery, murder, etc). No one understands to slow down and go to the right (I guess brits would go to the left). Everyone craps themselves and either cuts me off, refuses to move, slams on brakes and stops in the middle of the road, etc.
        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

The lack of anything approaching competency while driving is huge.
          Is this due to a lack of formal driver training?

I had drivers ed back in Hi School but don't remember any instruction on reactions to emergency vehicles, but I still move to the side and either slow down on the Autobahn or stop on other roads.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

IMO lack of attention for the most part followed by speeding, alcohol, drugs and little formal drivers ed. The left lane isn't for just cruising down the roads, it's to pass

John, it's a bit of everything. Add to that the total lack of responsibility people have these days. The further left we move as a nation, the more that everything is someone else's fault. No one is responsible for their actions. And then combine that with the fact that most people are assholes. They will look you straight in the eye as they cut you off, and then flip you the bird.

And instead of fixing that, and increasing education, and increasing penalties for stupidity like Pokeman Go while driving, the push is towards driverless vehicles.

As a result, I view driving and riding as combat, and adjust my driving style to suit.
            ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

You have the left being the case of all your problems Jim. If the is the case why does Western Europe with it's left leaning governments have a much better record for traffic deaths?

Thats according to List of countries by traffic deaths , at Wiki. The UK has the lowest.

Comment

You have the left being the case of all your problems Jim. If the is the case why does Western Europe with it's left leaning governments have a much better record for traffic deaths?

Thats according to List of countries by traffic deaths , at Wiki. The UK has the lowest.
                The left in your country isn't always the same as ours.

And they aren't the cause of my problems. I'm responsible for what I do, and have done. But I can't control what the rest of the sheep do.

One of the primary symptoms, here, is the lack of personal responsibility. It pervades every aspect of life. Everything is someone else's fault.

I would prefer the US had driver's ed on the level of Finland. But that would mean far too many wouldn't be able to drive. And because of who that would include, it would be far too unPC to happen.
                Last edited by Gixxer86g; 02 Sep 16, 05:10.
                ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                  The left in your country isn't always the same as ours.

And they aren't the cause of my problems. I'm responsible for what I do, and have done. But I can't control what the rest of the sheep do.

One of the primary symptoms, here, is the lack of personal responsibility. It pervades every aspect of life. Everything is someone else's fault.

I would prefer the US had driver's ed on the level of Finland. But that would mean far too many wouldn't be able to drive. And because of who that would include, it would be far too unPC to happen.
                  WHOA Jimbo, My country is the same as yours I live in another country but that doesn't make me a German. Got it? I often do comparisons between the two that I grant but when I think the way somethings are done here could also be tried in the US.

I don't know a thing about the drivers ed in Finland, just Hi School drivers ed in the US from the 60s and here in Germany.

http://www.expat-finland.com/living_...d/driving.html
                  Last edited by Half Pint John; 02 Sep 16, 06:22.

Comment

I've driven in a number of countries with high accident rates (including the USA) and I've usually observed that the problem in say parts of Italy is over aggressive driving whilst in the USA it was more often unawareness of the presence of other vehicles. So in Italy (or for that matter Saudi) you got cut up by someone changing lane without warning they usually knew you were there but didn't give a damn whereas in the US they were so wrapped up in their comfortable bubble with the music on that they just forgot to look in the mirror.
                    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

1. I'm not joining this weekend madhouse.

2. Not enforced even though extra patrols will be on the freeways looking for drinking, texting, speeding, aggressive driving, and seat belt violations.

3. No, but it is rarely enforced.

Passing a big rig on the right is extremely dangerous, especially if they have pulled into the left lane so they can make a right turn without running over a curve with the trailer.
                      Last edited by SRV Ron; 02 Sep 16, 07:09.
                      “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Finland has pretty good driver ed, but also national thing. Downside is that a drivers license is thousands of euros with all the training and tests, which is just bullshit.
                        Wisdom is personal

Comment

distractions go a long way. most close calls ive had i usually see a shocked look on the other guys face ...that "where did you come from"? look (riding a motorcycle makes life interesting)

also passing on the right is legal in Wisconsin in certain circumstances.

346.08  When overtaking and passing on the right permitted. The operator of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting the movement in safety and only if the operator can do so while remaining on either the roadway or a paved shoulder, and then only under the following conditions:
                          (1) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn or U-turn; or
                          (2) Upon a street or highway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width to enable 2 or more lines of vehicles lawfully to proceed, at the same time, in the direction in which the passing vehicle is proceeding; or
                          (3) Upon a one-way street or divided highway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width to enable 2 or more lines of vehicles lawfully to proceed in the same direction at the same time.
                          History: 1991 a. 316; 2009 a. 97.

admittedly people stretch the above where its not really safe.
                          45B10 1986-91

Comment

Actually taught myself to drive. In the UK a three wheel vehicle can be driven on a motorcycle licence. When I got married and my wife refused to ride pillion I swapped my bike for a thing called a Reliant Super Van (same as Del Trotter drove - not a Robin). Trip home from the dealer was a bit hairy as part of it involved the London North Circular but soon got the hang of it. After driving it for about a year I took my driving test and got the extra wheel.
                            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Inattentive and distracted driving is the number one reason.
                              I can not count the number of drivers I have seen driving with their heads down looking at a cell phone, or talking to someone on a cell phone, add to it all the other distraction that are built in your cars today, DVD players to keep children occupied, a screen glowing in your face displaying every detail of none important crap we lived without for many generations
                              Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Klaudia Tanner
                                by casanova
                                During a speech by the Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner to the soldiers one soldier fell down. The minister helped him to stand up again. The...
                                Yesterday, 23:56
                              • Karri
                                Doom Patrol
                                by Karri
                                Anyone else following?

IMO, it's one of the rare good things to come from this whole superhero genre (which is really mostly the same as...
                                Yesterday, 23:55
                              • Nikki
                                Iranian Nuclear Program Setback
                                by Nikki
                                Iran's nuclear program was at an advanced stage, this had to be done. Israel carried out this mission to buy the world some more time....
                                Yesterday, 23:03
                              Working...
                              X