Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a problem with North American aircrew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a problem with North American aircrew?

Two pilots from United Airlines have been arrested at Glasgow Airport on suspicion of being under the influence of alcohol when about to take off for Newark. In June two Canadian pilots from Air Transat were arrested and charged at Glasgow for the same offence. One assumes that they showed signs of being under the influence for them to have been stopped in the first place. Makes me wonder if they had got away with it on previous occasions when they had been drinking but didn't show obvious signs and if other air crew are also flying in this condition

Is this the tip of the ice cube?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-37208114
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

If you were an overworked bus driver with wings on it, what would you do when stuck in an airport in some foreign country?

Comment

A rarity, just like a European that flies his plane into the ground because of depression. Glasgow can do that to you...

Comment

In this day and age of total lack of common sense, a casual joke among friends, overheard by some nosy do gooder is all that is needed to cancel a flight as well as mess up a flight crew's day.

There was an actual domestic flight cancelled as a result of such a scenario years ago. A case of guilty until proven innocent long after the fact.
        “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
          If you were an overworked bus driver with wings on it, what would you do when stuck in an airport in some foreign country?
          Well I'd also be worried if bus drivers were drinking before going on shift but airline crew are supposed to have more brains
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
            A rarity, just like a European that flies his plane into the ground because of depression. Glasgow can do that to you...
            When you get two crews both pilot and co pilot involved in such a close period it becomes more than a co incidence

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
              In this day and age of total lack of common sense, a casual joke among friends, overheard by some nosy do gooder is all that is needed to cancel a flight as well as mess up a flight crew's day.

There was an actual domestic flight cancelled as a result of such a scenario years ago. A case of guilty until proven innocent long after the fact.
              Once possibly - twice - pull the other one its got bells on

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                Well I'd also be worried if bus drivers were drinking before going on shift but airline crew are supposed to have more brains
                That's a pretty bigoted statement. Who knows why people choose their careers? Besides intelligence has nothing to do with making bad choices. Think about the stupid things professors, doctors, high ranking military officials, attorneys, Ivy League grads, and world leaders have done over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
                  That's a pretty bigoted statement...
                  That's the routine.
                  Maybe he's just doing this to make me start slapping the European threads around again?
                  "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

If indeed they had one too many to recover from during their 12 hour layover, given that they know the consequences of being caught, their flying careers are over.

Then, there is a transportation company that will soon be sued out of business over allowing an unlicensed illegal to drive for them who crashed into an accident scene resulting in 40 serious injuries, some severe, and a couple of fatalities.
                    http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/28/us/lou...ers/index.html
                    “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Something to consider. For normal everyday people, at least here in the US, you can't drive if you have a BAC of .08%. It's different in aviation, BAC is not what is considered. By FARs you can't fly if you've consumed any alcohol at all within the last 8 hours. Even if it was only 1 beer consumed 7 hours before you hop in the plane. Most airlines go even further with a 12 hour time limit. I've actually heard of some airlines with a 24 hour limit, which pretty much precludes any of their pilots of from drinking except on rare occasions. I would assume that the 8 hour standards apply pretty much world wide. I read the article and it doesn't state what the pilots BAC was. They could've only consumed 1 beer in the previous 8 hours and be in violation of the legal standards for pilots.

Comment

Two pilots from United Airlines have been arrested at Glasgow Airport on suspicion of being under the influence of alcohol when about to take off for Newark. In June two Canadian pilots from Air Transat were arrested and charged at Glasgow for the same offence. One assumes that they showed signs of being under the influence for them to have been stopped in the first place. Makes me wonder if they had got away with it on previous occasions when they had been drinking but didn't show obvious signs and if other air crew are also flying in this condition

Is this the tip of the ice cube?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-37208114
                        Okay, let's see if we have this straight;

Hundreds of flights originating from Europe every day. Two crews get caught and you think this is a North American problem?

Your bigotry is showing.
                        "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
                          Okay, let's see if we have this straight;

Hundreds of flights originating from Europe every day. Two crews get caught and you think this is a North American problem?

Your bigotry is showing.
                          My first thought was... Is Glasgow so horrible of a place that aircrew can't stay sober long enough to leave?

Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X