A potty story about noodles in US prisons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A potty story about noodles in US prisons

Ramen noodles have overtaken tobacco to become the most valuable commodity in US prisons, a new study suggests.
    The research said the shift was a response to a decline in the quantity and quality of food on offer.
    "Because it is cheap, tasty, and rich in calories, ramen has become so valuable that it is used to exchange for other goods," said study author Michael Gibson-Light.
    US prison data shows spending has not kept pace with the number of inmates.
    Perhaps Britain should send them Jamie Oliver to sort out prison meals like he did with school meals? Or would that constitute cruel and unusual punishment?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37162373
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Ramen noodles are also used in betting in card and dice games in prison.

And they aren't cheap on the inside. 10 for a dollar in a supermarket, but a buck a piece in the commissary.
    ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Maybe the USA should stop sending people to prison who dont need to go there.
      you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
        Agreed, but OT.
        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

OT?
          you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
            Agreed, but OT.
            Why? The problem seems to arise from having more people in jail than you can afford to feed. Back in the 18th century we resolved this by changing the laws so we could hang more of them but in a marginally more civilised society this probably isn't an option.
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
              Why? The problem seems to arise from having more people in jail than you can afford to feed. Back in the 18th century we resolved this by changing the laws so we could hang more of them but in a marginally more civilised society this probably isn't an option.
              Have you been there?

This isn't new. And like I said, I agree about lot's of people being in prison that don't belong there.

But that has NOTHING to do with ramen noodles being used as currency.
              ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

Have you been there?

This isn't new. And like I said, I agree about lot's of people being in prison that don't belong there.

But that has NOTHING to do with ramen noodles being used as currency.

Article says it due to a increases in prison population and no increase in funds. So if you say give a guy caught with weed (no matter if it is his 3rd strike) community service and mandatory conciling you save money. Those guys that should be prison get the food it the amounts and qualtie that means cigarettes can become prison cash again.

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Have you been there?
                  Only as an observer

But if the reason that noodles rather than baccy are being used as currency is because you can't afford to feed the prisoners then the problem is you've got too many people in jail. Stop evading the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                    Only as an observer

But if the reason that noodles rather than baccy are being used as currency is because you can't afford to feed the prisoners then the problem is you've got too many people in jail. Stop evading the issue.
                    Ramen noodles are easy to get, and isn't contraband. Your kit isn't going to be strewn about the dorm due to ramen. This has nothing to do with population levels. People just like the noodles. They mix it with prison food. It's jailhouse cuisine.

Yes we have too many people in jail, but noodles have nothing to do with it.
                    ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

Considering the increasing laws and restrictions on smoking/burning tobacco in public places and inside buildings, it's likely something would have to replace tobacco/cigs as "currency".

Comment

More and more US prison and jail systems are banning tobacco and cigarettes for health reasons. For example, the whole federal prison system is tobacco free, so revenue from cigarette sales in prison commissaries is $0.

Postage stamps are the preferred alternate currency by the by...

Comment

I think tobacco may haven fallen in circulation due to ever increasing smoke-free prisons and less smokers among the criminals.

When I was in High School, I think the majority of the students were at least part-time or social smokers. Now I don't see many that smoke cigarettes.

The prison population has grown because of the increase in national population in general, particularly illegals who have become an increasingly larger proportion of the inmates. We has a border problem and government reluctance to deport. It is far cheaper to deport the bastards rather than to release them over and over again until they do end up in prison.

Build that wall and deport the illegals. Prison problem solved. Unemployment problem solved.
                          Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
                            Every single inmate I came across during my career in corrections needed to be there. You might want to spend some time there yourself until you have a better grasp of our justice system, starting with the fact that only one out of every hundred of those arrested ever serve time. Only the dumbest criminals end up doing time.
                            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Ramen noodles are also used in betting in card and dice games in prison.

And they aren't cheap on the inside. 10 for a dollar in a supermarket, but a buck a piece in the commissary.
                              I have a friend who served time in the federal penitentiary. At the time, jerky was the most valuable commodity. He used to beg all his visitors to bring as much jerky and cigarettes as they possibly can. He liked neither items but he said it's used like currency so he went with it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X