Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"What have you got to lose?" Deliberate insult or overdue acknowledgement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "What have you got to lose?" Deliberate insult or overdue acknowledgement?

"What have you got to lose?" Deliberate insult or overdue acknowledgement?:confused:

Trump's approach continues to interest me.
    A strange mix.
    He says something apparently outrageous, racist, deliberately divisive and confrontational.
    Then he just sits back and waits......for what?

Well basically for some parts of the US electorate to think about it.

I mean, could anyone else have said what he did so openly and brazenly about the state of parts of the black American community?

What do posters think about it?
    Bearing in mind that Trump's approach to virtually everything is a sound-byte that gets publicity and sucks the oxygen away from his opponents.

Regards
    lodestar

Originally posted by lodestar View Post
    "What have you got to lose?" Deliberate insult or overdue acknowledgement?:confused:

A strange mix.
    He says something apparently outrageous, racist, deliberately divisive and confrontational.

I mean, could anyone else have said what he did so openly and brazenly about the state of parts of the black American community?

Bearing in mind that Trump's approach to virtually everything is a sound-byte that gets publicity and sucks the oxygen away from his opponents.

Regards
    lodestar

Racist?
    He said: ""You're living in poverty, your schools are no good, you have no jobs, 58% of your youth is unemployed -- what the hell do you have to lose?"

Exactly where is the racism?
    Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

It that what he's going on about?

I honestly couldn't understand the OP... but then, I don't have the innate bias that causes me to believe that everyone on the Right is a hopeless racist.
      "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
        Racist?
        He said: ""You're living in poverty, your schools are no good, you have no jobs, 58% of your youth is unemployed -- what the hell do you have to lose?"

Exactly where is the racism?
        Trump said it, therefore it is automatically racist, bigoted, hateful, sexist, misgynological, or otherwise evil...

Comment

I am not a big Trump fan, but I have to say, in this case he said exactly what many people in the US feel, and yes, even some African Americans feel the same way.
          Since LBJs Great Society program the democrats have enjoyed the support of most of the black voters.
          We have more unemployment in the primarily black communities, more crime, schools that are failing their students. Chicago, Detroit and Baltimore are prime examples. Democrates have been in charge of those cities since the 1960s.
          Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
          Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

Now what I'm going to put forth can be taken many ways.
            If one is getting something for nothing even though the something basically keeps you supporting those that really haven't improved your situation, they are still apt to accept the something for nothing group because the other group might make you actually work for what you get.
            Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
              I am not a big Trump fan, but I have to say, in this case he said exactly what many people in the US feel, and yes, even some African Americans feel the same way.
              Since LBJs Great Society program the democrats have enjoyed the support of most of the black voters.
              We have more unemployment in the primarily black communities, more crime, schools that are failing their students. Chicago, Detroit and Baltimore are prime examples. Democrates have been in charge of those cities since the 1960s.
              I was doing research the other day and found some of them go back under Democrat control as far back as the 30's. In Milwaukee's case it was like the 1906/08 time frame. It's eye-opening listening to people on TV from those cities bitching about how it's been F'ed up as far back as they can remember but can put 2 and 2 together.
              [Official Game Thread] "To the Berezina River" Napoleonic Game

Comment

I don't think Trump is a real racist at all

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                It that what he's going on about?

I honestly couldn't understand the OP... but then, I don't have the innate bias that causes me to believe that everyone on the Right is a hopeless racist.
                I've explained many times that as a 'persona' and entertainer I LIKE TRUMP.

And for Pete's Sake I don't think everyone on the right is a racist.

I said this on Post #144 of my 'Trumps mistakes and foibles are boosting his popularity. Is he an American Putin? ' thread-starter:

"Trump great fun
                I really like Trump as an entertainer and showman but think his 'politics' are simply part of that persona.
                I doubt if he really believes in anything and doesn't care less. For example, he was a Clinton man in the '90's and his current Health plan rehashes Hilary's one from that era.
                Racist? No way.... but if people are drawn to him because of things he says and they believe he 'tells it like it is' and 'just says what everyone thinks' why would he disappoint them?

Come on, the guy's having the time of his life national grandstanding as well as derailing the GOP and loving every minute of it!"

Regards
                lodestar

Comment

Originally posted by lodestar View Post

A strange mix.

Regards
                  lodestar
                  All politicians speak in sound-bites these days, so I don;t hold that against him.

It looks to me like he's an old-fashioned leadsman testing the depth of the waters and examining the tallow on the bottom of the lead to see what the bottom conditions are like. He tosses something out and watches the response - some things resonate and others don't. One thing is for certain: not owing allegiance to any specific party means he can get away with comments and observations that others cannot, and he has said some things that need to be said and certainly need to be heard by his audience, but beyond that, I don't know.

It's one thing to test the waters, and something entirely different to set an accurate course to a specific destination. If he's not careful, he'll lose the election all by himself.

I agree with your assessment that he's having the time of his life stirring up national politics, but to what end? It will be like stirring a bucket of water - the second he stops, the water will return to it's usual state and we'll be left with Clinton - the Second Anti-Christ.
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

The message is essentially, "You're mugs and the government has been making mugs of you since Abe Lincoln, I can't possibly make things worse but I promise I'll do better" and he offers no evidence that he can make things better or how - it's "trust me". Why should they - on that account its been every administration that's shafted them Democrat and Republican - why would they believe his would be any better? And its poor tactics - nobody likes to be told that they've been made mugs of
                    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                      The message is essentially, "You're mugs and the government has been making mugs of you since Abe Lincoln, I can't possibly make things worse but I promise I'll do better" and he offers no evidence that he can make things better or how - it's "trust me". Why should they - on that account its been every administration that's shafted them Democrat and Republican - why would they believe his would be any better? And its poor tactics - nobody likes to be told that they've been made mugs of
                      Why shouldn't they - I believe you meant to say? Same way they were urged to trust Lil' Bush and BoBo, whose whole platform came down to "I'm not Bush".

Different politicians - same rules of engagement.

Clinton, BTW, is demanding far more trust than anyone in recent history, given her volatile and criminal background...so why should anyone trust her either?

As for being "made mugs of"...we have been and we will continue to be because Americans by their very nature are far too trusting for their own good.
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        [FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Why shouldn't they - I believe you meant to say?
                        No I didn't I meant what I said - I suspect that Afro American voters have more intelligence than to be taken in by the same old lies. Bitter experience usually gets through to people eventually
                        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

No I didn't I meant what I said - I suspect that Afro American voters have more intelligence than to be taken in by the same old lies. Bitter experience usually gets through to people eventually
                          And yet, they just keep voting for Democrats.

Why is talking about that so incredible?
                          "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

You'd be wrong on a good portion of them. They've been fed a diet of lies and racism for decades. I know that first hand talking to them. Their distrust of Whites runs deep, even when it is totally unjustified. A lot of it comes from self-imposed segregation too.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                              You'd be wrong on a good portion of them. They've been fed a diet of lies and racism for decades. I know that first hand talking to them. Their distrust of Whites runs deep, even when it is totally unjustified. A lot of it comes from self-imposed segregation too.
                              very true.
                              The fact is that regardless of skin color, after 45 years of welfare programs there are families that have relied on welfare for 3 sometimes 5 generations.
                              Entire sections of cities in which to main source of support, financial, housing, medical care, food and clothing are supplied by federal and state welfare systems.
                              Not only the families, but the businesses in those areas depend on welfare money, the rentals are subsidized by federal and state funds. School districts that no longer depend on tradition local tax bases but on federal funding that is tied to the number of children whose parents are on welfare.
                              When the only way of family life for 40 years, housing, food, clothing comes from a system of dependency that requires the individual to relinquish their future to a bearucracy, and that bearucracy also depends on expansion, it become a political force, much like a wild fire that creates its own weather system.
                              Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                              Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X