NYT: Tied, Rasmussen: Trump +7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
    Forgive me, but wasn't that more a conflict within the government bureaucracy and the politicians themselves surrounding flawed electoral mechanics?
    And that differs how from today???

Jefferson's Republican party swept to a landslide victory from the White House through congress. It literally was a sea change election. The voters played a role in it... it wasn't just arcane internecene political maneuvering.
    Last edited by The Doctor; 14 Jul 16, 15:46.
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
      And that differs how from today???
      I haven't heard either major candidate discussing flaws in the Electoral College, for example.

The current scenario seems to be far more "people vs establishment" while that was, to my flawed memory, more akin to a disagreement within the establishment on points of order.

Jefferson and his Republican party swept to a landslide victory from the White House through congress. It literally was a sea change election. The voters played a role in it... it wasn't just arcane internecene political maneuvering.
      I thought that the resolution took congressional action after, what, a few dozen locked votes internally?

I'd argue (again, from my flawed memory) the 1800 revolution had as its biggest outcome some fundamental changes in how the mechanics of government and presidential elections were resolved, making it more about the internal processes of government and not a revolution by "the people" against "the establishment" - more like "the establishment" against "the establishment".

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X