Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Syrian refugees to Canada do not assimilate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syrian refugees to Canada do not assimilate?

Here's something that I just thought of...it may sound crazy, but here goes...
    Maybe it's easier for a refugee/immigrant to assimilate in Canada, US and a few other countries because everyone (or their relatives) was once one themselves. It's in older countries where the inhabitants have been there for many centuries and are insular, that anyone who is "different" can never be "one of them", so they put obstacles in their way or the people just give up.
    Anyone can be an American or a Canadian, but not everyone can be a German or Italian (examples).

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
      Maybe it's easier for a refugee/immigrant to assimilate in Canada, US and a few other countries because everyone (or their relatives) was once one themselves. It's in older countries where the inhabitants have been there for many centuries and are insular, that anyone who is "different" can never be "one of them", so they put obstacles in their way or the people just give up.
      Anyone can be an American or a Canadian, but not everyone can be a German or Italian (examples).
      I think that is true, for example, to bring it to an extreme, Japan does not define itself as an Immigrant/refugee nation. Canada and the United States do define themselves that way. Nations define themselves, not demographics. So Europe is in the middle ground between homogeneous Japan and refugee settled North America. Good point!

Comment

Today's New York Times lead article is a great read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/wo...-refugees.html

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
          That's a concept that's been around for awhile. Unfortunately it doesn't apply to all refugee/immigrants/aliens that find their way to USA or Canada, in terms of how they see themselves upon getting here. While our nations are willing to accept any coming here with intent, desire, and effort to become 'Merican or Canadian, some don't arrive with that goal in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
            That's a concept that's been around for awhile. Unfortunately it doesn't apply to all refugee/immigrants/aliens that find their way to USA or Canada, in terms of how they see themselves upon getting here. While our nations are willing to accept any coming here with intent, desire, and effort to become 'Merican or Canadian, some don't arrive with that goal in mind.
            I agree; nothing is ever 100%. I just meant that it seems like we have a lot few immigrant "enclaves" that are insular like they do in Europe. Most of the Middle Easterners in the Detroit area are from Lebanon, Iraq and Yemen. Many came here to work in the auto factories and get away from the BS at home, and have succeeded.

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
              That's what makes refugees so much different than immigrants. The mentality is very, very different.

A refugee is by that very definition a temporary "guest", while an immigrant isn't. If you are just there for a while, you have less reason to assimilate to a great degree because you won't be there forever.

That's not that it won't happen at all, only that I'd bet good money the immigrant in the United States for a year will assimilate more than the refugee here for a year.

Still, good on Canada for doing what they see as right. I just think that in the grand history, refugees have a lower rate of assimilation in the host nation.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                That's what makes refugees so much different than immigrants. The mentality is very, very different.

A refugee is by that very definition a temporary "guest", while an immigrant isn't. If you are just there for a while, you have less reason to assimilate to a great degree because you won't be there forever.

That's not that it won't happen at all, only that I'd bet good money the immigrant in the United States for a year will assimilate more than the refugee here for a year.

Still, good on Canada for doing what they see as right. I just think that in the grand history, refugees have a lower rate of assimilation in the host nation.
                I don't know if that is true. I had some Syrian refugees move into some Apartments I have some ownership in. I organized a day of tobogganing for them. I posted a message on KIJIJI that I needed toboggans and I got ten times what I needed delivered to my place. It was one of the funnest most satisfying and inspiring days of my life. Those Syrian refugees had so much fun, those who never knew snow. I'd be very surprised if they didn't grow up in Canada and become great citizens, nothing I saw that day would make me believe otherwise.

Comment

More Muslims just means more current and future generations of them will fight in the name of Islam against our countries and our interests.
                  Multiculturalism has failed and Western leaders are starting to finally acknowledge that fact and liberals won't admit it when there are failures in their delusions that everyone will get together and will live in peace,they just keep doubling down on their failed policies like our PM Selfie/Zoolander has just done.
                  Britain has had enough of it one day it'll finally dawn on the rest of us.
                  Last edited by VinceW; 01 Jul 16, 21:28.

Comment

Multiculturalism as failed in Canada? Really?

Not when I look at my experience growing up and going to school in Montreal, Trois-Riviere and Sherbrooke. Not my experience with the Canadian Forces.

An especially not when I look at the younger generation.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
                      Multiculturalism as failed in Canada? Really?

Not when I look at my experience growing up and going to school in Montreal, Trois-Riviere and Sherbrooke. Not my experience with the Canadian Forces.

An especially not when I look at the younger generation.
                      Muslims here have been plotting terrorist attacks and not just the new Muslim immigrants it has been done by 2nd and 3rd generation Muslims if that is successful assimilation and multiculturalism I'd hate to know what failure would have to be to for liberals,blaming Whitey can only last for so long.
                      Many still live in tight nit groups that many want to live by Sharia law that governments have to keep on telling them no.
                      Ethnic minorities have the lowest enrolment rate per capita in the Armed Forces compared to White people if they ever become the largest majority group in Canada we're going to be in trouble when we have to fight in a war.

Comment

You've missed the point! I don't recall Japanese and German Americans killing us during WW2. **** Islam!
                        My worst jump story:
                        My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                        As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                        No lie.

~
                        "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Canada like multiculturalism, America prefers assimilation.

Multiculturalism:

Pros
                          • people are more tolerant of other ethnics
                          • Better for immigrants
                          • people are allowed to practice their own culture
                          • people are more likely to learn English
                          • people feel welcomed
                          • There is more recognition to minority groups
                          • The ideas from diversity of view-points will strengthen the host country
                          • A greater chance that the immigrants will fight for their host country
                          • Attempts to create unity through difference
                          • provides the public sense of free speech
                          • democratic
                          • can help separate conflicting groups
                          • economically beneficial to immigrants and the host country

Cons
                          • people are not very unified
                          • loss of culture of the host country
                          • It highlights difference and can increase hate crimes
                          • It is less successful because of having to do with problems of social cohesion, conflict, and even violence
                          • encourages damaging claims to victim-hood
                          • can cause the false mashing of identities

Assimilation:

Pros
                          • people are more unified
                          • already unified in time of crisis
                          • increase standard of living
                          • can provide indigenous peoples with skills to succeed
                          • America demonstrates that assimilation can succeed

Cons
                          • people are less tolerant of other ethnics
                          • example of assimilation is with the First Nations
                          • enforces English, which leads to rebellion
                          • people are expected to shed their own culture
                          • loss of many characteristics of absorbed group
                          • forbids any formal governmental recognition being given to groups of different kinds
                          "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                            You've missed the point! I don't recall Japanese and German Americans killing us during WW2. **** Islam!
                            I get the gist of your point. However, some German immigrants both resident and naturalized and even some second generation Germans returned to the Vaterland to fight for Germany.

There were also some Japanese (Japanese immigrants were not eligible for American citizenship) and Japanese-Americans that chose to return to Japan rather than go into internment.
                            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

I hate to rain on your parade, but...

EXCLUSIVE: Media suddenly SILENT about that Islamophobic “hate crime” in London — could THIS be why?

A Muslim mother was shopping in a grocery store when she was allegedly hit and spat on by a woman wearing a “Canada” shirt of all things. During the altercation, the victim’s hijab was removed.

I don’t like the idea that anyone in my city or in my country could be attacked without provocation, but this particular story didn’t sit right.

From NDP Member of Provincial Parliament Peggy Sattler to Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale, politicians lined up to denounce this “hate crime” against Muslims. Media outlets didn’t challenge anything, but accepted at face value that a crime against a Muslim must be a hate crime.

When police in London identified and charged the suspect, they only charged her with common assault—not anything "hate" motivated.

More curiously, they refused to name her, which is a stark departure from their usual practices, through which the names of anyone charged are released to the media. Even when asked by media outlets, police were tight-lipped.

Not one news article appeared mentioning the name of the accused, nor did anyone cover the details of her first appearance in court. One detail in particular.

And I think I found out why.

After accessing court records, I learned that the accused is 38-year old Sheila Shaidaie of London. We don’t yet know her motivations for the alleged assault, but we do know one thing:

When she appeared in court, she had a Farsi interpreter.

Farsi is a language spoken almost exclusively by people from Iran. We also know the Muslim population of Iran is about 99.4 per cent.

We don’t know whether Shaidaie herself is a Muslim. We don’t know whether this alleged attack was random or targeted towards the victim because she was a Muslim. There is a lot about this that we don’t know—and part of covering court cases is learning as things unfold.

But in the absence of anything more concrete, reporters and politicians spared no effort in proclaiming to have already identified the accused’s motivation.

The facts are irrelevant to them, as their refusal to cover this case any further has indicated.
                              http://www.therebel.media/exclusive_...ld_this_be_why

Two Reps Attended Muslim Brotherhood Front Event
                              Two congressmen attended an Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) conference in 2008, as revealed in testimony in a congressional hearing.
                              https://www.clarionproject.org/news/...od-front-event

Texas "regugee" was pledged to ISIS all along-

The fact the 37-year-old made it out of the country, returned, and then wasn’t arrested until two years later is not what former Dallas FBI chief Danny Defenbaugh would expect. “I’m extremely concerned, but I’ve been concerned anyway,” he said. “You look to your southern border and it’s still completely porous, even after what 14 years with them knowing [what happened on] 9/11/2001.”
                              https://creepingsharia.wordpress.com...e-joined-isis/
                              "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X