Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driverless Tesla Models S kills first victim...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post


    Now, make the CEO's of all airlines spend at least eight hours per month on a no-frills flight riding coach next to a screaming baby and a fat person. Minimum duration of flight - four hours. Must arrive two hours early and go through complete security check including body scan and physical search every time.
    I feel your pain but that would probably result in very few airlines
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

    Comment


    • #47
      Pilots do not sleep at the controls and we can assume that for the immediate future driverless cars are not an option and sleeping at the wheel will remain illegal. However cars who can preform beyond human capabilities similar to fly by wire planes are a viable alternative to adding more lanes.

      People will die in car accidents with or without the new technology. If you want to be certain you will not die in a car your only option is to never get in one. The zero tolerance for perceived risk is one aspect of the feminization of society. While it is probably true that humans have self domesticated and that this process has reduced masculine traits resulting in our more gracile features and non violent attitudes not all masculine traits are undesirable.

      Risk taking is an important masculine trait that needs to be revised. We may not need to be brave enough to spear a mammoth but we do need to be brave enough to embrace our own potential despite risks.
      We hunt the hunters

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
        You can't have freedom without risk and regressive are more than happy to use bad behavior to implement collectivist laws and policies.

        I used air transport as an example to illustrate how humans are unable to preform the necessarily tasks that complex systems require. If given the option of individual automated transport or collectivist mass transit the risks associated with the former are out weighted by the restrictions on freedom the latter imparts.
        The problem with autopiloted automobiles is that they operate in a highly uncontrolled and congested environment. Airliners and most other autopiloted vehicles operate in highly controlled or uncongested environments. AUV's (autonomous underwater vehicles) can do just about anything ROV's can do.... but they don't have to worry about ROV's getting in their way.

        The problem isn't with the autopiloted vehicles. The problem is with the human-operated vehicles competing for air, sea or road space.
        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
          The problem is with the human-operated vehicles competing for air, sea or road space.

          Sadly, this is the truth. There's a simple solution, increased education. It's way too easy to get a drivers license here in the US. Especially in NJ.

          What's that? You're a 45 yr old woman who was never allowed to drive, or leave the house without a male family member? Here's your license!

          I suggest we follow Finland's example on driver education.
          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

          BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

          BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

          Comment


          • #50
            Possibly there is a place for the autopilot as a supplement to rather than a replacement for the human driver. They could be set to override stupid. dangerous and/or illegal manoeuvres. It would not be difficult to set matters so that the vehicle won't operate without hands on the wheel. You could then have two classes of licence - one that only allows driving of an autopilot fitted vehicle and one with a much more stringent test allowing driving of a completely unautomated one. We already have two classes of licence here one for only vehicles with an automatic shift and the other for those with manual as well. It might reduce the risks posed by ageing drivers who might be restricted to the autopilot assisted vehicles unless they can prove that they are still with it.
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by MarkV View Post
              Possibly there is a place for the autopilot as a supplement to rather than a replacement for the human driver. They could be set to override stupid. dangerous and/or illegal manoeuvres.
              Similar features are currently available in some vehicles; but they are rather expensive options.

              A strong economic argument could probably be made that such features would actually save money in the long run and they would save lives. Most government mandates designed to save lives don't save money too. This might be a rare regulatory win-win situation...

              Originally posted by MarkV
              It would not be difficult to set matters so that the vehicle won't operate without hands on the wheel. You could then have two classes of licence - one that only allows driving of an autopilot fitted vehicle and one with a much more stringent test allowing driving of a completely unautomated one. We already have two classes of licence here one for only vehicles with an automatic shift and the other for those with manual as well. It might reduce the risks posed by ageing drivers who might be restricted to the autopilot assisted vehicles unless they can prove that they are still with it.
              We have too many lawyers for that to work here...
              Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                Sadly, this is the truth. There's a simple solution, increased education. It's way too easy to get a drivers license here in the US. Especially in NJ.

                What's that? You're a 45 yr old woman who was never allowed to drive, or leave the house without a male family member? Here's your license!

                I suggest we follow Finland's example on driver education.
                The problem with more education is...



                Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                  The problem with more education is...



                  Ha!

                  Well, for me that means no license for you! Unfortunately, PC takes over and these idiots rule the roads.
                  ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

                  BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

                  BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                    Pilots do not sleep at the controls
                    [.....]
                    Really?



                    You might need to catch up on your reading.

                    'More than half' of pilots have slept while flying

                    27 September 2013

                    More than half of pilots have fallen asleep while in charge of a plane, a survey by a pilots' union suggests.

                    Of the 56% who admitted sleeping, 29% told Balpa* that they had woken up to find the other pilot asleep as well.

                    [.....]
                    * British Airline Pilots Association.

                    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-24296544
                    Last edited by At ease; 04 Jul 16, 07:35.
                    "It's like shooting rats in a barrel."
                    "You'll be in a barrel if you don't watch out for the fighters!"

                    "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
                    Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by At ease View Post
                      Really?



                      You might need to catch up on your reading.




                      http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-24296544
                      He probably should have said that pilots aren't allowed to sleep while at the controls. So, pilots who follow the rules don't sleep at the controls...
                      Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        One pilot is allowed to take catnaps at a time.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post
                          Two things that seem to be imminent that I cannot see working well:

                          1. Roads filled with driverless cars

                          2. The skies filled with autonomous drones delivering pizzas and other stuff.

                          But they do seem to be imminent.


                          Philip
                          If I don't have to tip the drone, then No. 2 is good with me.

                          Tuebor

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                            ...Maybe we can change the title of the thread to "Harry Potter DVD Kills First Victim"?...
                            Make that a driverless Harry Potter DVD...

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by III Corps View Post
                              Make that a driverless Harry Potter DVD...
                              Hey, it could happen...

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X