Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driverless Tesla Models S kills first victim...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    you all are dreaming small. The office is carried by a drone to pic you up from your driverless home
    you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

    CPO Mzinyati

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by andrewza View Post
      you all are dreaming small. The office is carried by a drone to pic you up from your driverless home
      Put the head of Tesla in the driverless vehicle and let it carry him everywhere he goes.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
        My understanding is that the Tesla autopilot is supposed to be able to detect and react to drivers falling asleep and other human errors.

        While I think the Tesla is a huge economic failure, propped up by investors' "irrational exuberance" .. the technology is amazing. If I had $150K to blow on a vehicle, I would test drive a Tesla and the buy one of these:

        http://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/filson-edition
        It also requires that as a Tesla driver you keep your 2 hands on the steering wheel per Page 72 of the owners manual. OTOH, this is defeatable and is not entirely accurate 100 % of the time a driver is in the active mode. This guy didn't have his s**t together and supposedly was watching Harry Potter on a DVD player. His past apparently links him to doing other things like videotaping while driving and such and was a big autopilot proponent guy.

        If the Tesla software and sensors can't properly detect a semi painted white and a blue sky, that's a human factors issue from the get-go while programming. Can't ignore something like that and expect reality to match your programming/sensor limitations. If there was a warning somewhere that the sensors can't pick-up the difference, it should have been published.

        Or if the truck had a proximity system and the Tesla had a proximity system that were both active and passive and didn't depend just on the colors of the immediate environment, the crash might not have happened. But that takes integration.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Put the head of Tesla in the driverless vehicle and let it carry him everywhere he goes.
          I am prety sure they keep both hands on the wheel and know it is just a prototype.
          you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

          CPO Mzinyati

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by boomer400 View Post
            It also requires that as a Tesla driver you keep your 2 hands on the steering wheel per Page 72 of the owners manual. OTOH, this is defeatable and is not entirely accurate 100 % of the time a driver is in the active mode. This guy didn't have his s**t together and supposedly was watching Harry Potter on a DVD player. His past apparently links him to doing other things like videotaping while driving and such and was a big autopilot proponent guy.

            If the Tesla software and sensors can't properly detect a semi painted white and a blue sky, that's a human factors issue from the get-go while programming. Can't ignore something like that and expect reality to match your programming/sensor limitations. If there was a warning somewhere that the sensors can't pick-up the difference, it should have been published.

            Or if the truck had a proximity system and the Tesla had a proximity system that were both active and passive and didn't depend just on the colors of the immediate environment, the crash might not have happened. But that takes integration.
            Perfect idiot-proofing is probably not attainable by humans. It may be necessary to only allow autopilots that only work when no humans are in the front seat.

            You would think that radar would have been able to detect the truck. The radar sensors in my wife's GL450 make it sound like SAM missiles have locked on to us every time we come close to the rosemary bushes along the driveway...
            Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by andrewza View Post
              I am prety sure they keep both hands on the wheel and know it is just a prototype.
              And they are smart enough to hire test occupants...
              Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by boomer400 View Post
                If the Tesla software and sensors can't properly detect a semi painted white and a blue sky
                From my understanding the sky appeared white. It can down this way due to the high humidity and certain sun angles.

                Comment


                • #38
                  People who fly in planes that land themselves worry about cars that are automated? The truth is that we already live in a world where computers are general considered indispensable assistants and superior in many cases to human pilots.

                  The choice of automation is not a threat to individual freedom but the road to protecting it. It is much cheaper and less destructive to automate than to expand infrastructure to increase capacity. The individual transport vehicle as envisioned in "I Robot" represents the alternative to collectivist regressive mass transit.
                  We hunt the hunters

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                    People who fly in planes that land themselves worry about cars that are automated? The truth is that we already live in a world where computers are general considered indispensable assistants and superior in many cases to human pilots.

                    The choice of automation is not a threat to individual freedom but the road to protecting it. It is much cheaper and less destructive to automate than to expand infrastructure to increase capacity. The individual transport vehicle as envisioned in "I Robot" represents the alternative to collectivist regressive mass transit.
                    I don't worry about airliners that land on autopilot because there's not some @$$hole in a Gulfstream trying to cut off the airliner and steal its spot in the landing order.
                    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                      I don't worry about airliners that land on autopilot because there's not some @$$hole in a Gulfstream trying to cut off the airliner and steal its spot in the landing order.
                      You can't have freedom without risk and regressive are more than happy to use bad behavior to implement collectivist laws and policies.

                      I used air transport as an example to illustrate how humans are unable to preform the necessarily tasks that complex systems require. If given the option of individual automated transport or collectivist mass transit the risks associated with the former are out weighted by the restrictions on freedom the latter imparts.
                      We hunt the hunters

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by BigDog View Post
                        From my understanding the sky appeared white. It can down this way due to the high humidity and certain sun angles.
                        Apparently the trailer went across the front of the car and the car went under it rather than into it (except that the windscreen and presumably the drivers head didn't make it) It would seem that the radar beam and the audio pulses all passed below the truck chassis and therefore didn't 'see' it. It was a white trailer against a white sky. Seems like a design failure but one that can be fixed. Doesn't say much for Tesla's system testing though
                        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by andrewza View Post
                          I am prety sure they keep both hands on the wheel and know it is just a prototype.
                          Then make him ride in the back seat. The idea is that inventors place their lives in jeopardy to prove it works.

                          Frankly, if I have to keep my hands on the wheel at all times and be instantly ready to act if the vehicle fails, that's more exhausting than just driving it myself, and in no way an "improvement".
                          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Then make him ride in the back seat. The idea is that inventors place their lives in jeopardy to prove it works.

                            ]
                            In parts of Polynesia this system used to be used with new canoes. The builder would be placed in the new canoe and taken through the roughest water that could be found.

                            There have been a number of doctors in the West who have tested the new drugs/medicines they have devised on themselves
                            Last edited by MarkV; 03 Jul 16, 13:30.
                            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                              In parts of Polynesia this system used to be used with new canoes. The builder would be placed in the new canoe and taken through the roughest water that could be found.

                              There have been a number of doctors in the West who have tested the new drugs/medicines they have devised on themselves
                              Precisely. If the inventor doesn't believe in it enough to risk his own life, why should anyone else?

                              Now, make the CEO's of all airlines spend at least eight hours per month on a no-frills flight riding coach next to a screaming baby and a fat person. Minimum duration of flight - four hours. Must arrive two hours early and go through complete security check including body scan and physical search every time.
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                                You can't have freedom without risk
                                Then the risk must be assumed first by those who propose the system.

                                Old Army saying: "Nothing is impossible if you're going to make someone else do it for you."
                                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X