Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driverless Tesla Models S kills first victim...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
    I guess it wasn't driverless, however. Care for me to change the title to be accurate?
    I quoted the article that used "driverless." It would be inaccurate to change it.

If the test occupant allowed the autopilot to crash the car, it was effectively driverless.
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
      I quoted the article that used "driverless." It would be inaccurate to change it.

If the test occupant allowed the autopilot to crash the car, it was effectively driverless.
      Operator error.
      “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
      “To talk of many things:
      Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
      Of cabbages—and kings—
      And why the sea is boiling hot—
      And whether pigs have wings.”
      ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
        Operator error.
        Big time.
        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

This is a subject that's dear to me. Technology removing responsibility from people.

When Chrysler first came out with back up sensors (pre-camera), we had a customer come in a test a Caravan with the sensors. She put it in reverse, nailed the gas and took out the rear ends of eight new vehicles on the line. Then blamed the van.

Tesla was clear about this being an imperfect system. They were clear about what was required of the driver.

That's why I'm against this garbage. Anti lock brakes, back up cameras, hell, I'm even against using salt on the roads!

All we're doing is making increasingly inept drivers.

This doesn't look, at least now, to be Tesla's fault.
          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
            The Telesa is a autopilot car, NOT a driverless car. Not the same thing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ash-explained/
            Driverless cars aren't truly driverless either. A computer is driving.
            The crash that killed a Tesla driver in Florida on Thursday when his car struck a tractor-trailer may mark the world's first fatal accident in which a computer was at the wheel.

[...]

Here's how Tesla said the crash occurred: As the truck turned left, crossing the Tesla's path, neither the human nor the machine could distinguish the white-colored body of the truck from the sky, Tesla said. As a result, the Model S never slowed down, punching through the gap between the truck's wheels and getting crushed.

Comment

Driverless cars aren't truly driverless either. A computer is driving.
              The crash that killed a Tesla driver in Florida on Thursday when his car struck a tractor-trailer may mark the world's first fatal accident in which a computer was at the wheel.

[...]

Here's how Tesla said the crash occurred: As the truck turned left, crossing the Tesla's path, neither the human nor the machine could distinguish the white-colored body of the truck from the sky, Tesla said. As a result, the Model S never slowed down, punching through the gap between the truck's wheels and getting crushed.
              Have you ever driven and not see the white bodied trucks?

Driver was asleep.

End of story.
              Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Two things that seem to be imminent that I cannot see working well:

1. Roads filled with driverless cars

2. The skies filled with autonomous drones delivering pizzas and other stuff.

But they do seem to be imminent.

Philip
                Last edited by PhilipLaos; 02 Jul 16, 01:09.
                "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post

Philip
                  Really good to see yah. I had grammar issues that required attention but I fear is now beyond redemption.
                  Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

It's the failure of some humans to understand that things like driver automation actually require more than just cars to have automation. It's an integration issue and you can't really have a portion of the vehicles driving be automated and everything else to be independent. No point to having automation then. It's stupid to assume that an automated car of only 1st gen technology would be able to handle unautomated environments. Human factors failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                      Have you ever driven and not see the white bodied trucks?

Driver was asleep.

End of story.
                      Was the autopilot asleep too? Or was it watching Harry Potter?

Comment

Originally posted by boomer400 View Post
                        It's the failure of some humans to understand that things like driver automation actually require more than just cars to have automation. It's an integration issue and you can't really have a portion of the vehicles driving be automated and everything else to be independent. No point to having automation then. It's stupid to assume that an automated car of only 1st gen technology would be able to handle unautomated environments. Human factors failure.
                        My understanding is that the Tesla autopilot is supposed to be able to detect and react to drivers falling asleep and other human errors.

While I think the Tesla is a huge economic failure, propped up by investors' "irrational exuberance" .. the technology is amazing. If I had $150K to blow on a vehicle, I would test drive a Tesla and the buy one of these:

http://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/filson-edition

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post

Philip
                          Wouldn't it be way cool if a drone could deliver a pizza to your driverless car while it was on the way home from the office?

Wait a second... If your driverless car was on its way home from the office, wouldn't you still be at the office?

Comment

There is a propensity these days to just throw words around regardless of their actual meaning. Just like the 'hoverboard' craze for something that doesn't really hover. I read somewhere that Tesla recommends keeping both hands on the wheel just in case.
                            [Official Game Thread] "To the Berezina River" Napoleonic Game

Comment

Wouldn't it be way cool if a drone could deliver a pizza to your driverless car while it was on the way home from the office?

Wait a second... If your driverless car was on its way home from the office, wouldn't you still be at the office?

Simpler to have a bigger drone deliver you to the office
                              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                                Simpler to have a bigger drone deliver you to the office
                                Better yet... Have a super bigger drone deliver my driverless vehicle to my office...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X