Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is terrorism going to be the defining issue of the next election?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is terrorism going to be the defining issue of the next election?

I was listening to the radio while driving about and the host asked that question.

So what do you think, is terrorism going to be the largest issue?
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

I'd say the economy and immigration... though both will be beneath Hillary's servers/Benghazi/Trump University/whatever other dirt gets dragged up by the competitors.

Comment

Not likely. The economy will be one. Right now the economy is limping along at best. Sure the administration says otherwise, but I think most people aren't happy with the way the economy is doing right now.
      Immigration will be another, but lesser one. I also think that most Americans fall on the side of Trump to one degree or another rather than Hillary and the Democrats with amnesty and open borders.

Another that's not apparent yet is just how much character and likability of the candidates plays a role.
      I suspect that the debates this time will actually make a difference.
      Right now, the MSM is pillorying Trump and all but ignoring Hillary. But, it's abundantly clear from her past history that she's a very dislikable person for most of the public. She gets mad and shouting in a debate, and she's hit. One "At this point what difference does it make?" moment in a debate and she's all but sunk. It's likely to happen given Trump's style in those to date.

Comment

It will certainly be one of them.

1. the economy
        2. illegals
        3, terrorism
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

The economy? I thought that was fixed?
          There are no illegal people! Everyone knows that,
          Terrorism is a myth created by the NRA and the radical right, you know, the same people who really took down the WTC!

We must make terror the number one issue, and strong immigration management policies are the first line of defense, it was true in FDRs time,
          It was true during Woodrow Wilson's time, it was true during JFKs time.
          It is true today.
          Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
          Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

Not if the Hillary and her minions in the press have their way.
            Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Comment

I was talking to a senior VP in a US Multinational a few months back. He said that the senior team in the organisation had been taken on a corporate retreat during which they had received a security briefing from a retired CIA analyst. He said that the treats were, in order of severity; Russian military aggression, Chinese economic and cyber aggression as well as military aggression in their local region and recession/war/ disability in the Middle East and its impact on oil prices but he said Russia was by far the biggest global issue.
              When they asked him about domestic threats to them and their families rather than big picture threats he said crime, severe weather and drink drivers were the biggest threats. He said to forget about terrorism as statistically it is pretty much nonexistent as a threat and has no reasonable chance of having a long term impact on the security or prosperity of the USA.

So, stop worrying about the fly buzzing at the window and look at the bear that's going to try to smash in your door.
              "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
              validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
              "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
                I was talking to a senior VP in a US Multinational a few months back. He said that the senior team in the organisation had been taken on a corporate retreat during which they had received a security briefing from a retired CIA analyst. He said that the treats were, in order of severity; Russian military aggression, Chinese economic and cyber aggression as well as military aggression in their local region and recession/war/ disability in the Middle East and its impact on oil prices but he said Russia was by far the biggest global issue.
                When they asked him about domestic threats to them and their families rather than big picture threats he said crime, severe weather and drink drivers were the biggest threats. He said to forget about terrorism as statistically it is pretty much nonexistent as a threat and has no reasonable chance of having a long term impact on the security or prosperity of the USA.

So, stop worrying about the fly buzzing at the window and look at the bear that's going to try to smash in your door.

Which is why I complain that we waste precious airframe hours in Syria and Iraq.

Our military has lost huge amounts of prestige over the last few years. The Russians and Chinese have taken note, and are acting accordingly. And that's all on Bobo's shoulders.
                ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                  ...is terrorism going to be the largest issue?...
                  Not to me.

Comment

Let's see if we have this straight.....

You have second hand information from a retired CIA analyst that you never met about a place where you don't live....

Meanwhile your "fly" has had a direct impact on citizens over here while your "bear" hasn't......

In the past 7 months 63 people have been killed and 75 injured by your "fly," visible security has been increased at most mass transit sites. The Administration tries to blame the NRA and restrict law abiding citizens.

You should probably reassess your opinion on this.
                    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Terrorism is a 'fly' now, yes, but not because they have ceased hating us, but because to date we have kept them from developing large enough cells inside the USA (we hope), or from them getting their hands on a WMD.

9/11 was, in terms of number of dead and infrastructure loss, a 'fly' as well, but it has defined the last sixteen years.
                      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

In over 50 years of adult life I have worked in over forty countries, many in 'hot spots' like the Middle East. In all that time I have been in two buildings bombed by terrorists. One was Harrods in London (IRA) and the other the Shelbourne Hotel Dublin (UVF probably). Flys can buzz where you don't expect them and even a small fly can carry a deadly disease.
                        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Exactly. I know the head of security for a multinational Tier 1 automotive supplier. He told me the same thing. He said his biggest concern was people coming from foreign subsidiaries and wandering about in sketchy areas of Detroit.

Comment

I think terrorism or protection of the American People is going to be a lot more prominent on peoples minds when they vote this year. Though nobody seemed to like Bush's answer which was going after the terrorists aggressively and keeping the USA homeland safe for the last 7 years of his presidency it did work. Obama has been passive and relaxed the information gathering for the homeland and now we see the results. Attack after attack. This pre911 thinking isn't working and something has got to change. So yeah, I think it is going to be higher in thought for this years election.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                              In over 50 years of adult life I have worked in over forty countries, many in 'hot spots' like the Middle East. In all that time I have been in two buildings bombed by terrorists. One was Harrods in London (IRA) and the other the Shelbourne Hotel Dublin (UVF probably). Flys can buzz where you don't expect them and even a small fly can carry a deadly disease.
                              Good to see you made it out.

This also reminds me of the man who was struck by lightning seven times, where something that most certainly is a very low-probability event can still be much more common to those unlucky enough to be outliers.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X