Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trump gets rock-bottom ratings in international survey

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trump gets rock-bottom ratings in international survey

    WASHINGTON (AP) A new multi-nation survey finds that confidence in Donald Trump's ability to manage foreign policy should he become U.S. president is rock-bottom in a host of countries in Europe and Asia.

    In seven of 15 countries outside of the U.S. polled by Pew Research Center, Trump's ratings are in the single digits. Large majorities in 11 of the countries have little or no confidence in the prospective Republican presidential nominee ability to manage international affairs. That includes 92 percent of Swedes, 89 percent of Germans and 82 percent of Japanese.

    He polls best in China, where there is a split between 40 percent who have no confidence in Trump and 39 percent who do not offer an opinion. Trump, who has advocated trade protectionism and temporarily banning Muslims from entering the United States, records his highest ratings in Europe among supporters of political parties that are anti-immigration or oppose European integration. But even among those poll respondents, his confidence ratings remains below one-third.
    AP - Full Article

    What's amusing is that this contrasts with Obama's sky-high approval overseas... which (somehow) still remains high!

    In all countries surveyed other than Greece, half or more of those polled express confidence in the U.S. president. That includes more than 80 percent in Sweden, the Netherlands, Germany, France and Australia.
    Considering that external views of American politicians are shaped greatly by both mass media and social media, this is no surprise.

    One thing I'd love to look into is how strong a correlation there is between positive views on an American president and views on America in general. Does an unpopular president increase anti-Americanism, and vice-versa? And by how much?

  • #2
    Who gives a rat's @$$ what foreigners think?
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
      Who gives a rat's @$$ what foreigners think?
      A majority of people America deals with outside its borders happen to be foreigners.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
        A majority of people America deals with outside its borders happen to be foreigners.
        So long as they stay outside of our borders, I don't mind if they stay there.
        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
          Who gives a rat's @$$ what foreigners think?
          I am with you on that one, they are also the ones that think that BoBo is a rock star, so they don't care what people like me think about the Dud.
          Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
            I am with you on that one, they are also the ones that think that BoBo is a rock star, so they don't care what people like me think about the Dud.
            I'd be more concerned if foreigners were digging Trump.

            I don't want foreigners to like our President; I want them to fear him...
            Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

            Comment


            • #7
              That's a strong point in favor of Trump. Foreign relations do not bulk large in the voters' priorities.

              Coming hard on the heels of Bobo coming out in support of the EU on the Brexit issue (another failure on his part), it is a very good thing.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                So long as they stay outside of our borders, I don't mind if they stay there.
                Sure. But some issues cross borders, which is why I was curious as to the nature of the relationship between presidential popularity (such as Obama's stupefyingly high numbers) and foreign opinion of the United States.

                Maybe it's just the political realist in me, but I don't see the US as operating in a vacuum where other nations have no impact. It's not as though foreign approval rates are the key deciding factor in national success, but on the other extreme nations who end up unpopular and isolated tend to have bad futures.

                Plus I like the idea of seeing if there is an inverse relationship between international popularity and actual performance. Obama has been a disaster and remains popular, so perhaps a loathed Trump will be the equivalent of President Jesus?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                  I don't want foreigners to like our President; I want them to fear him...
                  What about mockery and contempt?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                    What about mockery and contempt?
                    That's when you make them wish they had feared you...
                    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                      Sure. But some issues cross borders, which is why I was curious as to the nature of the relationship between presidential popularity (such as Obama's stupefyingly high numbers) and foreign opinion of the United States.

                      Maybe it's just the political realist in me, but I don't see the US as operating in a vacuum where other nations have no impact. It's not as though foreign approval rates are the key deciding factor in national success, but on the other extreme nations who end up unpopular and isolated tend to have bad futures.

                      Plus I like the idea of seeing if there is an inverse relationship between international popularity and actual performance. Obama has been a disaster and remains popular, so perhaps a loathed Trump will be the equivalent of President Jesus?
                      The rest of the world ranges from our competition to our out-right enemies. ExxonMobil wouldn't pick a CEO based on the opinions of either ConocoPhillips or Greenpeace.
                      Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                        ...Who gives a rat's @$$ what foreigners think?...
                        I tend to agree. None of those polled will be voting in November.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                          The rest of the world ranges from our competition to our out-right enemies. ExxonMobil wouldn't pick a CEO based on the opinions of either ConocoPhillips or Greenpeace.
                          But they would take into consideration the views of their business partners.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                            That's when you make them wish they had feared you...
                            I'm now struck by the image of Trump being a Kim Jung-Il figure, singing "I'm so lonely" and wondering why nobody fears him.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                              The rest of the world ranges from our competition to our out-right enemies. ExxonMobil wouldn't pick a CEO based on the opinions of either ConocoPhillips or Greenpeace.
                              There it is.

                              Every nation's attitude towards other nations is the local language version of ' them'.

                              National self interest is the only viable international motivation.

                              No one is going to help the USA except the USA.
                              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X