(NSFW) Why Shooting In Legs Isn't A Good Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (NSFW) Why Shooting In Legs Isn't A Good Idea

Interesting video clip. Warning, not safe for work.

In movies, it seemed a good idea to shoot someone in legs if you want to take that person alive or for whatever reasons. However, in real life, it's nothing like a movie.

It's unbelievable how fast a person bleeds to death. Just in few minutes, the robber was dead with bystanders arguing with each other and the police officer seemed stumped to what to do next. Amazing.

In America, I bet for most police officers, they'd shot the robber on spot.

They are lucky that the robber didn't take one as hostage or injure somebody else with his knife.

See for yourself, again I have to warn you that viewer discretion is needed.

https://www.full30.com/video/7e1b2a5...5581fc7712f9f6
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

I know everything I was ever trained to do was "center mass." I'd have shot him 3 or 4 times in the chest to "stop the action."
    That would have had the same result and less uncertainty about hitting him to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      I know everything I was ever trained to do was "center mass." I'd have shot him 3 or 4 times in the chest to "stop the action."
      That would have had the same result and less uncertainty about hitting him to begin with.
      Agreed. The police officer is lucky that nobody else is injured due to his incompetence.

I think in America, he'd be laid off right away.
      Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Its "Hollywood" - in films (TV movies, series whatever) shot in the legs or arms (including shoulder) is portrayed as trivial. The individual is usually portrayed as lightly wounded and people believe that what they see on the screen is reality. Being shot anywhere is dangerous and having been shot in the calf when I was 12 I can testify bloody painful.
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

There are a number of major vessels and arteries that go through the shoulder joint, the groin, and the knee. If you get shot in the arm or leg, you need a tournaquet, pronto! Getting shot through the lung is painful, but a prompt trip to the ER will stabilize it. The cut and insertion of a tube to re-inflate the lung and use as a drain may hurt worse than the shot. There are major nerves and arteries right above the lung you should avoid as well. There was a mobster named Gallo that got shot at multiple times and only got hit in the rear end. The bullet nicked an artery and he bled out.

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

A hit to the femoral area can dump 2 liters of blood in a matter of 90 seconds or less, depending on fitness and heart rate. You've got 5-6 liters depending on size, but a 2 liter loss is both life threatening and shocky......you won't be able to function effectively after such a loss, and you might not survive it.

Once you hit 3 liters of blood loss you're in the 'you're Effed' department.

All of that is why we train to be able to very quickly self-apply a tourniquet even while still in the fight.

Also that's why when in the Corps we trained for failure to stop drills hitting both head and pelvic girdle with the finishing shot. There's an awful lot of blood down there........
            Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X