Senate Bill Says Women Must Register For The Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senate Bill Says Women Must Register For The Draft

The Senate passed the 2017 National Defense Authorization Act 85-13. A section of that bill requires women to register for the draft.
    I guess those females that wanted to serve in combat roles found that sometimes you get what you might not want.
    http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...vy-a_160622.nl
    Last edited by Salinator; 22 Jun 16, 23:23. Reason: spelling in title
    Too Much To Do Too Little Time

In the immortal words of Forrest Gump:

"Stupid is as stupid does!"

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Be careful what you wish for... You just might get it. Words no Progressive ever heeds.

Comment

Long overdue.
        Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Agreed.

"Equality" is a specific condition.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I think it is a good step forward, not that I want to see women in combat but the nationstate that can mobilize it's entire population has an advantage over one that does not.

Comment

What we did in WW2 was allow women to volunteer for non-combat roles. The vast majority of them stayed home and raised the kids. Many also went to work in Industry and replaced the missing men. I get a bad feeling that any Generals/Admirals that want a women draft think they will only get the cream of the crop and no non-hackers. I see them being told they have to take the 4'10" 90 pounders as well as the six foot Amazons. The Defense Department had also better start building daycare infrastructure as draft age females will have lots of children that need care. The days of sending them to live with Granny are over.

Pruitt

Comment

What's the problem? My position has always been that of equality - either both males and females are eligible for the draft or nobody is. Plain and simple. If I had to register with Selective Service when I turned 18 than every 18 year old girl should have to as well.

National defense is an obligation that should be required of all citizens if necessary.

Comment

Lets be sensible, I doubt all the women would be drafted as combat infantry, as pointed out many were placed in support roles freeing up the men for combat.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                    What we did in WW2 was allow women to volunteer for non-combat roles. The vast majority of them stayed home and raised the kids. Many also went to work in Industry and replaced the missing men. I get a bad feeling that any Generals/Admirals that want a women draft think they will only get the cream of the crop and no non-hackers. I see them being told they have to take the 4'10" 90 pounders as well as the six foot Amazons. The Defense Department had also better start building daycare infrastructure as draft age females will have lots of children that need care. The days of sending them to live with Granny are over.

Pruitt
                    Drafting women does not mean having to send them into combat - it means freeing up able bodied troops while the females take over the support roles.

They've been doing that in the Israeli military since Day One.

Day care? That's what husbands, fathers and mothers are for. Or all of those "unemployed" drawing checks from the taxpayers.

Time to realize that if you haven't served your country, your country doesn't owe you anything.
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

What happened to soldiers in the last couple of wars? Parents found out they had no one to take their children. Not everyone has living parents or relatives. If young women are drafted, some will be Mothers already. Even if they are amenable to joining the service, who will watch their kids during duty hours? Day care is a thriving business near bases.

Pruitt

Comment

Ah, the draft. A useless holdover from a past-era that still manages to convince people it's somehow significant.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                          What happened to soldiers in the last couple of wars? Parents found out they had no one to take their children. Not everyone has living parents or relatives. If young women are drafted, some will be Mothers already. Even if they are amenable to joining the service, who will watch their kids during duty hours? Day care is a thriving business near bases.

Pruitt
                          Well, I know of one actual case with a unit I was in where a single mother (volunteer service) was sent to mast then discharged with an OTH for failing to have provision for child care for her kids as required by a document in her contract she signed required. I have heard of others that are similar.
                          I also have seen cases where single mothers have gotten slammed at mast (article 15 for the other services) for not being at their duty or post because of child issues they were supposed to have a means to cover.

The military isn't completely stupid. Single parents are required to sign an agreement that says they will have the means to have their children cared for when deployed, or when required to perform service or duties that require them. They can't and they get hit with NJP or a court martial and discharged less than honorably.

Comment

Not all parents will be able to keep their designated "sitter" they have in mind when signing the contract. Some will die or get jobs that preclude taking care of children. Some soldiers lose their "sitter" when they transfer to another base. I don't have a good solution and I wish it did not have to be a OTH discharge. I recall a female soldier at my second BT Company at North Fort Polk. Her name was also Pruitt. You can imagine some of the conversations I had with her on the phone when I had to leave the Company area.

"Hello Private Pruitt, this is Private Pruitt!.."

She had a kid without visible signs of a spouse.

If you are going to draft females, there will have to be another solution than a OTH discharge or all the Mothers will go that route! I had a neighbor on the next street that got out of being drafted early. He hit his commanding officer! He was back working construction before you knew it. I paid attention because his sister Yolanda was fine! Yolanda I hope you have done well out there...

Pruitt

Comment

If single parent women are going to get a pass for having kid(s) to care for, I'd say men deserve the same consideration.
                              Of course, that isn't going to happen.

If women are good enough to hold any job in the military then they're good enough to be drafted if that were to happen.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X