Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Report assails NYC jail's sex abuse response

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Report assails NYC jail's sex abuse response

    NEW YORK (AP) New York City's Rikers Island jail has entrenched problems dealing with sexual abuse, including emergency hotlines that don't work, confidential complaints read by fellow inmates and investigations that don't interview alleged attackers, according to an internal review obtained by The Associated Press.

    The report, conducted last year by an outside consultant, also revealed that guards dangerously underestimated the problem, felt helpless to do anything about it and showed "poor professional boundaries" themselves by inappropriately hugging and kissing one another and hanging racy postings in common areas.

    The findings come as overseers of the city's 10,000-inmate jail system moved last week to write new city rules spelling out a zero-tolerance sexual assault policy in line with the 2003 federal Prison Rape Elimination Act.

    At the time of the report, its authors noted, few staff or inmates had heard of the federal law, and education addressing its requirements "did not appear to be occurring."
    AP - Full Article

    Funnily enough, I've seen more than one person who thought that rape in prisons and jails was a good (or at least tolerable) thing as it helped deter criminals by making going to jail or prison seem even more horrendous.

  • #2
    In a related story, the chief of the corrections officers' union, Norman Seabrook, was two weeks ago arrested and charged with defrauding his union's pension fund, by investing in a hedge fund in return for under-the-table con$ideration.
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

    Comment


    • #3
      Based on my own experiences working for Colorado DOC, the only way to prevent inmates from harming each other is to keep them all on 24 hour lockdown, permanently.

      These are not people with social problem solving skills, nor are they seeking any. They are people to whom violence is both a way of life and an answer to all of life's problems.

      And no offense to New Yorkers, but I seriously down that Rykers is staffed by the best and the finest.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Based on my own experiences working for Colorado DOC, the only way to prevent inmates from harming each other is to keep them all on 24 hour lockdown, permanently.
        That is my experience as well.

        You're talking people who literally live in the moment, and they're already incarcerated.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          And no offense to New Yorkers, but I seriously down that Rykers is staffed by the best and the finest.
          We've known for decades that the bulls are as bad as the cons. When their union boss fights every discipline case like it's the OK Corral, these kinds of incidents should never come as a surprise.
          I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
            We've known for decades that the bulls are as bad as the cons. When their union boss fights every discipline case like it's the OK Corral, these kinds of incidents should never come as a surprise.
            Its tough to find people who are willing to work in a cage full of the worst of society. I worked corrections for less than two years, and would never go back.
            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
              Its tough to find people who are willing to work in a cage full of the worst of society. I worked corrections for less than two years, and would never go back.
              I agree -- but when the bulls are running inmate "fight club," then maybe it's time to lop off some heads -- bureaucratically speaking, of course.

              This is old news. Rikers has been overrun with all manner of contraband -- including weapons, for decades. It can't get in without the bulls' tacit approval. There's no other way around it.
              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                I agree -- but when the bulls are running inmate "fight club," then maybe it's time to lop off some heads -- bureaucratically speaking, of course.

                This is old news. Rikers has been overrun with all manner of contraband -- including weapons, for decades. It can't get in without the bulls' tacit approval. There's no other way around it.
                Yes, few confinement facilities can keep out contraband.
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

                Comment

                Latest Topics

                Collapse

                Working...
                X