Filibuster Ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filibuster Ends

How do you feel about these 2 issues? Ban people on the no-fly list from buying guns and expand background checks for gun shows & internet sales.

Filibuster Ends After GOP Agrees to Allow Gun Control Votes

Senate Democrats ended a nearly 15-hour filibuster early Thursday after Republican Party leaders reportedly agreed to allow votes on two proposed gun control measures.

Sen. Chris Murphy, a Democrat from Connecticut, said that a compromise had been reached. Votes would be held on whether to ban people on the government's terrorist watch list from obtaining gun licenses and whether to expand background checks to gun shows and internet sales, he added.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/orl...enator-n593396
    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Personally, I would have liked to see just how long the Dumbocrats could have kept on talking while America tries to deal with its problems.

The filibuster is one of those things intended to prevent government from working as it should.

Other than that, I have to admit that the two conditions seem sensible, provided proper safeguards are in place, because neither the Terrorist Watch List nor the No Fly List are very accurate.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Other than that, I have to admit that the two conditions seem sensible, provided proper safeguards are in place, because neither the Terrorist Watch List nor the No Fly List are very accurate.

This is how I feel too. There are still people on those lists who shouldn't be there, AND there are people who should be on it but aren't.
      "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
        This is how I feel too. There are still people on those lists who shouldn't be there, AND there are people who should be on it but aren't.
        Exactly, and who's keeping a sharp eye on the low level bureaucrats who put names on those lists?
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Internet sales already have background checks. All internet sales have to be sent to the buyer's local FFL, where they are handled (background checks, etc.) just like any other transfer of a firearm.
          Most gunshow sales also have background checks. Some shows mandate them and, even if they don't, all licensed dealers also must do them. The only ones that don't require a background check (in most states) are when an owner is thinning their collection and is selling their personal firearms.

Comment

Well, given the secrecy surrounding the no fly list where people on it often only find out they're on it when denied boarding a plane, the mistakes made in putting people on it, and the near impossibility of getting off it even when its clearly a mistake, I'd say its a terrible idea.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/07/politi...wis/index.html

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...-rules-n139896

The federal government lacks an effective system for allowing people to get off the no-fly list who are put there by mistake, a federal judge ruled Tuesday.

The ruling came in a lawsuit filed by 13 American citizens and permanent residents, including four military veterans, who have been barred from flights to or from the United States or over U.S. airspace. Many of them have been told they're on the government's no-fly list.
            http://www.npr.org/2014/06/29/326718...-fly-list-case

ABE MASHAL: And the night before I was trying to print my boarding pass online. I was unable to print it. So I called the airlines up. I said, hey I'm not able to print my boarding pass. And they told me to report to the ticket counter in the morning. Next morning I went to the airport handed the lady my license. She kind of gave me a strange look then she went in back for about five minutes. And when she came back out I heard some commotion behind me so I turned around and I was surrounded by around 30 TSA and Chicago police. So that's how I found out I was on the no-fly list.

RATH: Abe Mashal says an FBI agent then took him into a back room at the airport.

MASHAL: So we went in back and he just asked me some general questions, name, Social Security number, you know, my background and I told him I was half Italian, half Arab. And then once I said that he kind of really followed in with some of the Arab background questions. Am I Muslim? You know, do I go to a mosque? This and that. And I actually, I answered all of his questions and then he told me I was free to go. And I said, well wait a minute - how did I end up on this list and how do I get off? And he said that even if he knew why they put me on it he wouldn't be able to tell me. And he knows of no way off of it and the only thing I could do was go home and fill out a redress form on the Department of Homeland Security's website. And that's exactly what they did.

RATH: He says he got no response from Homeland Security. He was never charged with a crime. But Mashal says a couple of months later two FBI agents called him and asked to meet him at nearby hotel. He agreed.

MASHAL: And I says, OK guys what's going on? And he basically said, well the good news is we can get you off this no-fly list today if you agree to become an undercover informant for us. You know, we would be paying you under the table. You wouldn't be claiming this money but you couldn't even tell your wife about this position. And I was like you know what guys this is crazy. I want to speak with an attorney.

That's a tip of a very large iceberg.

If the federal government makes errors on this list frequently, can't tell someone if they're on the list, won't tell them how to get off if it's a mistake, won't bother to even tell those who notify the government of a mistake if its corrected, then using this list for any purpose is just wrong.

Yea, let's just use a list of people who might be remotely, or not even at all, connected to terrorism or whatever on a secret government list to prevent them from purchasing a firearm....

Maybe the government could start doing its friggin' job and actually investigate and pay attention to what potential terrorists are doing. It's becoming pretty damn apparent that the Orlando shooter had a long history of doing stuff that should have gotten him attention. Why didn't he get on people's radar? I'd bet it was out of trying to be "sensitive" and politically correct towards someone who was Muslim... I'd also bet if he were a neo-Nazi he'd have been rolled up in an instant for similar behaviors.
            It seems to me we have people running the show who are in denial about who and what is going on in the world around them.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
              Internet sales already have background checks. All internet sales have to be sent to the buyer's local FFL, where they are handled (background checks, etc.) just like any other transfer of a firearm.
              Most gunshow sales also have background checks. Some shows mandate them and, even if they don't, all licensed dealers also must do them. The only ones that don't require a background check (in most states) are when an owner is thinning their collection and is selling their personal firearms.
              I know this, you know this, everyone that doesn't have their head up their posterior knows this except the antis and they are driving on with the same BS, never mind the horse is blind, load the wagon.
              I am sure the Clinton women does too and so does BoBo, but keep on throwing crap against the wall and eventually some of it will stick!
              Last edited by Trung Si; 16 Jun 16, 21:25.
              Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X