Not an AR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not an AR

What are the anti's going to do now that it's been revealed that the rifle used wasn't an AR15 and isn't used by any military force in the world (that I can think of)? It was a SIG MCX, which is a new rifle designed for the civilian market. The only part that it has in common with the AR15 is the magazine.

Facts never register with democrats, liberals, and the insane.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
      What are the anti's going to do now that it's been revealed that the rifle used wasn't an AR15 and isn't used by any military force in the world (that I can think of)? It was a SIG MCX, which is a new rifle designed for the civilian market. The only part that it has in common with the AR15 is the magazine.
      Nothing, they don't know the difference and don't want to know, to them any semi is an assault rifle.
      Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

They'll do what they've been doing. Call for a ban on 'Assault Weapons' (Whatever those are supposed to be) and ignore facts. to support their delusions.
        BoRG
        "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Simple, their interest is to ban all firearms.
          My worst jump story:
          My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
          As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
          No lie.

~
          "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Arthwys View Post
            They'll do what they've been doing. Call for a ban on 'Assault Weapons' (Whatever those are supposed to be) and ignore facts. to support their delusions.
            Isn't a police baton "an assault weapon"?

Isn't the functional definition of just about any weapon an "assault weapon"? Even when used in defense, it's designed purpose is to "assault" someone with it.

The cure to America's problems is to get rid of all of the Libbies, Dumbocrats, "Progressives" and, of course, the liars, and get back to basics.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
              Facts never register with democrats, liberals, and the insane.
              And the Ayatollah Obama just happens to be all three of those categories.
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Isn't a police baton "an assault weapon"?

I guess a police baton could be construed as one yes.

Isn't the functional definition of just about any weapon an "assault weapon"? Even when used in defense, it's designed purpose is to "assault" someone with it.
                I would disagree, but then we could say that, by your definition above a bow and arrow are Assault Weapons, a lawn dart is an assault weapon. So let's look at the language:

Full Definition of assault

1. 1 a : a violent physical or verbal attack b : a military attack usually involving direct combat with enemy forces c : a concerted effort (as to reach a goal or defeat an adversary)
                2. 2 a : a threat or attempt to inflict offensive physical contact or bodily harm on a person (as by lifting a fist in a threatening manner) that puts the person in immediate danger of or in apprehension of such harm or contact — compare battery 1b b : rape 2

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/assault

Definition of assault weapon
                1. : any of various automatic or semiautomatic firearms; especially : assault rifle

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...sault%20weapon

So according to the definition no, a police baton would not be an assault weapon.

The cure to America's problems is to get rid of all of the Libbies, Dumbocrats, "Progressives" and, of course, the liars, and get back to basics.
                I'm going to disagree with you there because your country has always had Liberals, and Democrats and didn't have these issues way back when.

My issue with the term Assault Weapon is that it is a sweeping generalization which is inaccurate, and popular with people involving themselves in the bigger conversation about firearms ownership and control thereof, and being ignorant of the facts involved in that conversation.

When the ignorant go off saying "Ban assault weapons!" they aren't articulating what they mean. They are just parroting the sound byte made popular by the media. I had a friend just today post that he feels ownership of an assault rifle should be a felony. I pointed out that it has been a felony in the US since 1986. He was happy with that but didn't catch my point of his statement.

Basically that the Orlando Shooting wasn't carried out with an Assault Rifle. It was carried out with a semi-automatic civilian market firearm...

Most of the uneducated don't know what separates an Assault Rifle (or Battle Rifle if you like) which is illegal in the civilian market, from their legal semi-automatic, but similarly appearing cousins. Which is the Selective File capability.

If the weapon can't switch between semi-automatic, and fully automatic (sometimes three round burst depending on model and variant) then it's not an assault rifle.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a 'gun nut' I don't think that civilians should be allowed to own fully automatic firearms (though I understand why they want to, they're damn fun to shoot).

I feel that people should have to take and pass a psyche evaluation before they can qualify for gun ownership, but then I feel people should have to pass a psyche eval for being allowed to breed, so what do I know?

My problem with this whole thing is the language being used in the larger conversation is disconnected from the real issue at hand.
                BoRG

Comment

Technically, an "assault rifle" is capable of selective, fully automatic fire. The AR15 is not an assault rifle. It is an assault-style rifle... It looks like an assault rifle.
                  Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Why are we jawboning about guns when the real culprit is the human?

Oh.... because we can remove the weapon before we can cure the mind.

GG
                    "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

Comment

Originally posted by Grognard Gunny View Post

GG
                      Well there's a cure, and then there's a CURE!
                      BoRG

Comment

Note, Lawn Darts have been banned. So have the Mattel Vacuum form machine and toy baking ovens.

Tom Brokaw even called the mass shooter's weapon an AR 14 during the evening news.

As usual, nothing is being done about minds being poisoned by the teachings of Radical Islam. In fact, this so called pResident has made a big deal over the use of the name Radical Islam. He would rather disarm the law abiding then admit that followers of his beloved adopted religion are capable of such mindless violence.
                        “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

"AR15" has become a generic term.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                            Frankly it does not matter who the manufacturer is. It is still a firearm does not belong in civilian hands. I cannot speak to this model in particular but an AR-15 has a fire rate of around 42 rounds per minute in the hands of a competent shooter, I expect that this weapon falls in similar parameters. No matter how many different shades of lipstick you put on this pig the only real difference between weapons like these and their military variants is that the military carbines (these are not truly rifles) can be used in full auto mode while the "civilianized" weapons are semi-automatic; at best, that is splitting hairs.

Clearly these kind of firearms are not meant for hunting, unless you happen to be going against heavily armed deers that is. The SIG MCX uses the same kind of ammunition as the AR-15, and according to at least one article Eugene Stoner "designed the original AR-15 in the late 1950s, working on it in his own garage and later as the chief designer for ArmaLite, a then small company in southern California. He made it light and powerful and he fashioned a new bullet for it — a .223 caliber round capable of piercing a metal helmet at 500 yards."

You can try and spin this anyway you want to but as far as I am concerned an average of 9.5 mass shootings per year, many of which figure AR-15 like weapons are far too many. I am not opposed to anyone owning a firearm if they wish, but this flippant attitude that gun ownership should not be regulated or limited somehow are specious, self centered and remarkably entitled.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fam...b7Kz&ocid=iehp

Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                            Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Grognard Gunny View Post

GG
                              Because the weapon makes it easier to kill, particularly when it is specifically designed to do just. Keep in mind the ancient Greek proverb "The blade itself incites to violence."
                              Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                              Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X