When Considering Slavery And Reparations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Considering Slavery And Reparations

This was sent to me on Facebook. Apologies for the crude language, but the message is one to take nore of.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Or, Koreans, Chinese, Indians, indigenous peoples of Central and South America...

Comment

As some one who is half Irish I would say not infrequently - depends on the Irishman (or woman) but that is probably true of most nationalities and I would suspect that the Irish who were indentured (not enslaved) in America were not the worst treated by a long way. Shame on you for posting such an apology for the racists
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

The Irish where NOT human chattle. The idiot that posted the silly FB meme does not understand that. No, I don't think anyone alive today deserves reparations. However comparing slaverynto the Irish is idiotic.
        “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
        “To talk of many things:
        Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
        Of cabbages—and kings—
        And why the sea is boiling hot—
        And whether pigs have wings.”
        ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
          The Irish where NOT human chattle. The idiot that posted the silly FB meme does not understand that. No, I don't think anyone alive today deserves reparations. However comparing slaverynto the Irish is idiotic.
          I agree on all your points!
          It's as idiotic as the people that call for reparations for slavery and the Idiots that support them.
          Last edited by Trung Si; 10 Jun 16, 19:33.
          Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
            It's as idiotic as the people that call for reparations for slavery and the Idiots that support them.
            Which I do believe was the point all along.

But they keep bringing it up, as if hoping for a generation that is weak-minded enough to go along with it.
            The first Barbarian in line gets the best loot, when the gates finally fall.

Comment

You mean someone is actually considering them?

GG
              "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                This was sent to me on Facebook. Apologies for the crude language, but the message is one to take nore of.

Perhaps you could buy your friend a few history books. You might want to read them too.

Modern day political grievances inaccurately grafted onto historical events and thrown around by the ignorant.
                "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
                G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
                Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

What about all the other slave stuff that has gone on throughout history, where the heck can you rationally and 'fairly' start or end?

Heck, slavery goes on even to this day.

Even the US marines were sent in to tackle the Barbary pirates. ' .... to the shores of Tripoli .... '

Comment

Originally posted by Wooden Wonder View Post
                    What about all the other slave stuff that has gone on throughout history, where the heck can you rationally and 'fairly' start or end?

Heck, slavery goes on even to this day.

Even the US marines were sent in to tackle the Barbary pirates. ' .... to the shores of Tripoli .... '
                    A lot of historical BS about slavery as well, "Roots" being the ultimate truth that many "scholars" base their opinions on.

Consider that life wasn't always all roses for white immigrants coming to this country and working hard to make a living as many think. White privilege my ass.
                    My worst jump story:
                    My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                    As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                    No lie.

~
                    "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

I wouldn't have thought that they needed free ****.
                      "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                      Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                        I wouldn't have thought that they needed free ****.
                        Health care, food, lodging, and in some cases education was included in the package.

On the other hand the Irish (and others) were owned by the company and store.
                        My worst jump story:
                        No lie.

~
                        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

I believe that indentured servitude was the first form of unfree labor in the American Colonies for blacks and whites. Permanent slavery was more a thing we did to the Native Americans, but they were not robust enough mentally or physically to be able to endure it for a lifetime.

I have seen cases where an indenture was set to run for 7 years, but because of infractions on the part of the indentured person that time was extended. One of the more common infractions was for a woman to get pregnant illegitimately (by rape often) and to have her time extended for that. This would be especially beneficial for owners who might also be the impregnators.

It was supposedly a common thing for English raiders to go into Irish seaports and kidnap young Irish boys and girls and take to be slaves, indentured or otherwise. I believe that I am descended from one of those, a young man named David O’Killey, who was indentured very early on in the Cape Cod area. He did become a freeman later on, but his origins are a mystery.

And I am descended from an indentured Scotsman, George Darling, who was a war prisoner. He was taken to New England and sold as an indentured servant for 7 years to the foundry at Hammersmith in Saugus, MA. I have always been taught that war prisoners being forced to work was slave labor.

If a person was sold for indentured servitude, unwillingly, because he was kidnapped or a war prisoner, or a criminal, or even a prisoner of conscience, how was that not slavery? And as I understand it, most of the first blacks in the Colonies were indentured, sometimes for 7 years or if they were very young until they were 21.

However, that being said, I am against the idea of Reparations for blacks. My husband and I have men in our families who were members of the Union army, and some, his relatives especially, were killed in battle. We paid a price in blood for the freedom of the slaves and I don’t think that we, as a nation, owe them anything in the nature of reparations. They can make of their lives what they wish, just as we who are the descendants of indentured slaves have done.

Also, since so many of the American population are descended from immigrants who came after the Civil War, why should those people pay a price for a sin done before their people even thought about coming here?
                          Homo homini lupus

Comment

Indentured servants were guaranteed freedom after their contract ended. And usually received a bonus on termination.

The great majority went into indenture willingly, essentially a long term employment contract.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indentured_servant
                            "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Actually, slavery for blacks could also be considered a form of long term indentured servitude. At least by Maryland law slaves were released after reaching a certain age. Just saying...
                              My worst jump story:
                              No lie.

~
                              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X