Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should we be lowering the standards for hiring police officers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we be lowering the standards for hiring police officers?

Police departments across the US are having a hard time filling vacancies, there are many reasons officers are leaving the ranks, natural attrition/retirement, job burn out, and unfortunately from premature death, it's a dangerous job.
    It takes a toll on personal on families and friendships not to mention on the individual. Since the 1960s most police forces have raised standards and required indepth vetting and training requirements, and demanded recertification and college degrees. No history of drug use or behavior problems.
    But today police forces are struggling to find qualified candidates. In response some agencies are proposing that standards be lowered, not only are some agencies lowering educational requirements, at least a few are saying it is unrealistic to expect a candidate under the age of 30 to not have previous drug use, or even to have dealt drugs.
    IMO this is not going to improve the image of LEOs nor will it attract the type of person we need to be in a position of authority.
    But then, today, authority is not respected.
    Louisville Metro Police will soon lower its requirements to become an officer with the department.
    http://www.officer.com/video/1221821...s-requirements

Dallas Police Department Struggling to Hire Officers
    http://www.officer.com/video/1220971...-hire-officers
    Last edited by Urban hermit; 08 Jun 16, 21:43.
    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

No!
    Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

I agree, we should not lower standards.
      But when we see stories like this....

Nebraska deputy who was shot late last year has lost his work-issued health insurance and is in a fight to get it back.

Deuel County dropped Deputy Mike Hutchinson, who continues to recover from four gunshot wounds sustained while serving an arrest warrant on Dec. 3, 2015, from its group plan on May 31, according to The Star Herald.
      Who would be stupid enough to volunteer for the abuse?

http://www.officer.com/news/12218323...nce-terminated
      Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.

Comment

I don't think standards need to be lowered, but perhaps revisited to see if we are using the best indicators to predict who should be hired. For example, I think some of those psych tests are a load of hooey in predicting who will be a good police officer.

Comment

Some standards are largely BS...

You need a pristine credit score for example, with many agencies. How many people 30 and under have that today? If someone with a degree has a pile of student debt that can be enough to keep them from getting a job in many cases.

Facebook and other social media can doom an applicant. Something stupid they posted up at 16 can be ruinous at 21 or 25 trying to get a job.

That's two examples of overreach with job interview / vetting processes.

Comment

Based on some of my own experiences, when groups of any kind have trouble recruiting personnel, the first place to look is at the organization itself, not at the potential hirelings.

Always look at the bosses before you look at the employees.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Based on some of my own experiences, when groups of any kind have trouble recruiting personnel, the first place to look is at the organization itself, not at the potential hirelings.

Always look at the bosses before you look at the employees.
              In this case the anti cop movement and the spineless elected officials are the problem

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X