Saudi Arabia holds USA shorthairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saudi Arabia holds USA shorthairs

The following link/article addresses the huge portion of USA Federal debt held by SA and gives a clue as to why we "do their bidding" at times, or so it might seem (they own us). Admittedly begun with near-term good intentions (maybe), but 40+ years later this effort to return petro-dollar$ to the USA has price tag likely not foreseen back then.

The Untold Story Behind Saudi Arabia’s 41-Year U.S. Debt Secret
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...LGL?li=BBnbfcL

Very much worth the read!
    A condition that may be in need of correction, if possible.

TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz
    Present Current Events are the Future's History

Nonsense. The only nation protecting the worthless Saudi's is America, and they need our spare parts for the weaponry we sold them to even do anything at all in their own defense, which they never do.

OTH, they remain in the crosshairs of 300 million Americans for 9/11.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Nonsense. The only nation protecting the worthless Saudi's is America, and they need our spare parts for the weaponry we sold them to even do anything at all in their own defense, which they never do.

Please read that article closely. The weapons and spares were part of the deal. If they sell their holdings, as have threatened lately, we'll be in a big sinkhole of financial woes.

Comment

The Saudis hold pieces of paper (IOU's). To get value they have to buy US products with this paper. If we ever renege on this debt, they are more in trouble than we are!

Pruitt
        Last edited by Pruitt; 05 Jun 16, 19:44.
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

And the only navy keeping the gulf open for their oil tankers is ours.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I'm not saying we haven't any leverage, or bargaining power. The article explains why past Admins have been "nice" to SA. I don't expect any current DNC replacements for BHO to do other than bow down the way he has.

Trump "might" break the cycle.

Comment

Given the Saudis have zip point $h!+ for a military we can always do a "hostile takeover" of their "business interests."

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

As far as I am concerned, let them float on their own!
                Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

We actually hold the Saudis by the short hairs... http://maritime-executive.com/editor...losing-the-war
                  Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                    We actually hold the Saudis by the short hairs... http://maritime-executive.com/editor...losing-the-war
                    Perhaps a "South of our border ("Mexican" not PC) standoff" where both have a hold?

Quote from the OP article;
                    Saudi Arabia, which has long provided free health care, gasoline subsidies, and routine pay raises to its citizens with its petroleum wealth, already faces a brutal fiscal crisis.

In the past year alone, the monetary authority has burned through $111 billion of reserves to plug its biggest budget deficit in a quarter-century, pay for costly wars to defeat the Islamic State, and wage proxy campaigns against Iran. Though oil has stabilized at about $50 a barrel (from less than $30 earlier this year), it’s still far below the heady years of $100-a-barrel crude.

Saudi Arabia’s situation has become so acute the kingdom is now selling a piece of its crown jewel—state oil company Saudi Aramco.

What’s more, the commitment to the decades-old policy of “interdependence” between the U.S. and Saudi Arabia, which arose from Simon’s debt deal and ultimately bound together two nations that share few common values, is showing signs of fraying. America has taken tentative steps toward a rapprochement with Iran, highlighted by President Barack Obama’s landmark nuclear deal last year. The U.S. shale boom has also made America far less reliant on Saudi oil.

“Buying bonds and all that was a strategy to recycle petrodollars back into the U.S.,” said David Ottaway, a Middle East fellow at the Woodrow Wilson International Center in Washington. But politically, “it’s always been an ambiguous, constrained relationship.”

Yet back in 1974, forging that relationship (and the secrecy that it required) was a no-brainer, according to Parsky, who is now chairman of Aurora Capital Group, a private equity firm in Los Angeles. Many of America’s allies, including the U.K. and Japan, were also deeply dependent on Saudi oil and quietly vying to get the kingdom to reinvest money back into their own economies.

“Everyone—in the U.S., France, Britain, Japan—was trying to get their fingers in the Saudis’ pockets,” said Gordon S. Brown, an economic officer with the State Department at the U.S. embassy in Riyadh from 1976 to 1978.

Comment

I personally couldn't care less about all the towel and rag heads, I may sound like Jones here, but why do we need these people, I am not seeing how or why, or I am just plain crazy?
                      Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

The Persian Gulf is just another place we should walk away from.

Iranians outnumber Saudis by about 8-1, and some of them even remember how to fight in a real war.
                        Its no contest.

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                          I personally couldn't care less about all the towel and rag heads, I may sound like Jones here, but why do we need these people, I am not seeing how or why, or I am just plain crazy?
                          Hey, that's just wrong. They wear a picnic napkin with a fan belt on their heads and a Klan outfit...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X