Ex-Marine fired from job for lowering flag on Memorial Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Were you ever a supervisor, Nichols? Ever discipline someone without terminating them or sending them to jail? Ever correct a small problem without turning it into a nuclear media firestorm? Just by sitting down with a subordinate and explaining what went wrong and why, and asking them to help in preventing it from happening again?

Obviously I have.

Here's something you seemed to have forgotten; once it is elevated above your level....there is not much you can do about it.

Ever serve in the military yourself

Yes, but I never claimed stolen valor...you know something like say maybe a.....Silver Star...

Make a minor mistake? Was it handled like intelligent adults, or were you sent to the stockade immediately for a minor infraction? Was any actual harm done to Time-Warner by this incident, or did they just throw away a million dollars worth of outstanding in their galloping rush to turn this former Marine into a villain?
    As I already posted, as long as it was kept at a certain level....it could be taken care of.

Actual harm to Time Warner.....read the OP in this thread and then read how you are attacking them when they did everything correctly.

No, of course not. Your appalling lack of comprehension and your utterly inane responses make that glaringly obvious.
    You can't blame me for your failure to comprehend what is going on here.

Time-Warner and the contracting company could have easily handled this in an adult manner, but they chose not to, thus making this a clear cut case of using a cannon to swat a fly, fired by a bunch of bureaucratic pi$$ants.

Once he posted it on social media, he took the ability for Time Warner and the contracting company to handle this on their level.

Have you been sleeping?

Do you realize what goes on with social media these days?

Look at how you have fallen for this hook, line, and sinker....
    Last edited by Nichols; 05 Jun 16, 20:58.
    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
      Okay, everyone calm down.
      Sorry Sal, we posted about the same time.....I'm calm now.
      "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
        Sorry Sal, we posted about the same time.....I'm calm now.
        Thanks.

I think that some of the emotion behind the anger of this Marine being fired is that however wrong about flag protocol, his misguided actions stemmed from patriotism. That is complete opposite of what is seen so often now with the utter disrespect for the American flag and that darn Mexican flag being waved at political rallies.

My original point in my reply to the OP was thinking of just such a scenario, Suppose some anti-Trumpster lowered the American flag, raise a Mexican flag in its place, cussed it out and posted it in social media, that person would be a hero on facebook and twitter. If his employee fired him or if police arrested him, there will be lynch mobs yelling "racists"!
        Last edited by Salinator; 05 Jun 16, 21:39.
        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
          Thanks.

I think that some of the emotion behind the anger of this Marine being fired is that however wrong about flag protocol, his misguided actions stemmed from patriotism. That is complete opposite of what is seen so often now the the utter disrespect for the American flag and that darn Mexican flag being waved at political rallies.

My original point in my reply to the OP was thinking of just such a scenario, Suppose some anti-Trumpster lowered the American flag, raise a Mexican flag in its place, cussed it out and posted it in social media, that person would be a hero on facebook and twitter. If his employee fired him or if police arrested him, there will be lynch mobs yelling "racists"!
          Sal,

I completely understand what and where you are coming from...100%.

Both parties in this story were trying to do what was right, just happens that one of my brothers was completely wrong......that really is a tough thing for me to say.....I'm expecting HPJ, 101st, and a few others rub that fact in....

I wish that the Marine would have kept it local at his level instead of going all social media and try to incite others against Time Warner but he didn't.

The past couple of years there has been a social media push to 'educate' the public on special days:

Memorial Day: Those that have fallen.
          Armed Services Day: Those that are serving.
          Veteran's Day: Those that have served.

These are the sound bites that are being pushed out, they barely touch the surface of what these days really represent. I can see how the Marine was confused but like I said, he went all social media without knowing the facts.

If he came back and publically apologized, admitted his mistake, and took full responsibility for his mistake.......I wouldn't be surprised if Time Warner hired him as a full time employee.

Comment

Obviously I have.

Here's something you seemed to have forgotten; once it is elevated above your level....there is not much you can do about it.

Yes, but I never claimed stolen valor...you know something like say maybe a.....Silver Star...

As I already posted, as long as it was kept at a certain level....it could be taken care of.

Actual harm to Time Warner.....read the OP in this thread and then read how you are attacking them when they did everything correctly.

You can't blame me for your failure to comprehend what is going on here.

Once he posted it on social media, he took the ability for Time Warner and the contracting company to handle this on their level.

Have you been sleeping?

Do you realize what goes on with social media these days?

Look at how you have fallen for this hook, line, and sinker....
            Well said - especially about how he chose to make more of it than required. Perhaps if he had chosen to handle it differently after he lowered the flag it could have been responded to in a different manner. Impossible to say now though.
            "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
            G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
            Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

I am not an american so could this man sue for wrongful dismissal ? and do Americans not have the right of freedom of expression ?

Comment

The main problem was that this was a contract employee. Many companies use contract employment to check out a person before hiring them direct. It's sort of a probationary position. It makes it easier to get rid of them if they screw up. A good example is the difference between how you would treat a 5 year employee who called in sick two days in a row versus someone who you just hired last week. One would be counseled and one would probably be fired.

Comment

Originally posted by bill shack View Post
                  I am not an american so could this man sue for wrongful dismissal ? and do Americans not have the right of freedom of expression ?
                  "At will" employment is just that....Freedom of expression extends to Gov't NOT private industry....

Comment

Originally posted by bill shack View Post
                    Freedom of expression stops at your employer's front door.

Comment

Time Warner had a policy in effect to honor Memorial Day as per US Code. They didn't over-react and this isn't PC, they were following the law to the letter.

US Code Title 4 Section 6 clearly states that the flag is flown at half staff until 12:00 on Memorial Day and then raised to full height for the remainder of the day.

Flag etiquette 101....the Cub Scouts know this.

The Marine disobeyed US Code which was also Company Policy.....he needed to be fired. In his attempt to make the Company look bad, he made himself and the Corps look bad.
                      Sadly the Flag Code is disregard on a regular bases by our military. When was the last time military members carried a huge flag across a playing field horizontally? That is also a no-no according to the Flag Code. If our military cannot follow it who can?
                      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

The reaction to this firing across the country (and not just here) is a conservative reflection of that same snap-judgements based around emotion rather than logic or reasoning (or fact) that we've seen so often from liberals, demonstrating that such knee-jerk "that's offensive/racist/disrespectful/political correctness gone mad!" sentiment is sadly universal, just triggered by different content.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                          Sadly the Flag Code is disregard on a regular bases by our military. When was the last time military members carried a huge flag across a playing field horizontally? That is also a no-no according to the Flag Code. If our military cannot follow it who can?
                          I can't agree more, I don't know why we have official codes if there is no authority to back them up.
                          Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X