Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-Marine fired from job for lowering flag on Memorial Day

Good thinking Time Warner,

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A former Marine says he was fired from his contract job with Time Warner Cable in Charlotte after he lowered the American flag to half-staff on Memorial Day.

The Charlotte Observer reports (http://bit.ly/1X3eT3v) Allen Thornwell was thinking about his best friend, a former Marine who he says killed himself two years ago after he returned stateside.

The 29-year-old Thornwell was fired Tuesday. The placement service that arranged the job for Thornwell said Time Warner told them they were disturbed by what was termed him "passion for the flag and (his) political affiliation."

Thornwell said he remains in shock over his firing. A Time Warner Cable spokesman confirmed Friday that the former Marine "was no longer under contract" with the company but declined further comment.
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ex-...fyy?li=BBnb4R7
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

How can passion for the flag be a termination offense? And political affiliation - how the hell did they come up with that?

Now try firing someone that carried the Mexican flag and threw eggs at a Trump rally and see how far that will fly........
    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
      http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...e81658827.html

Or you could post the actual story which gives some details of potential issues.

By the time Thornwell left – and only a few minutes after he had lowered it – the flag was back at full-staff. Thornwell said he reacted angrily at what he took as a sign of disrespect to him and other vets. He can be heard cursing twice in a short video he shot at the scene with his phone. He said he wanted to send a message to military personnel around the world that “this is what the people back home think about us.”
      Also apparently he went online slagging off his employers, it was company policy that employees should not touch the flagpole and guidelines say

Whether Time Warner Cable was improperly displaying the flag during the country’s annual tribute to its dead veterans is a matter of debate. The U.S. Flag Code, which offers guidance on how to fly the flag during holidays, says the banner should be at half-staff until noon on Memorial Day then returned to its normal position. Thornwell said the incident took place around 2:30 p.m.
      Protocol says the flag should not have been lowered, he says he knew it and did it anyway.
      "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
      G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
      Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

Time Warner over-reacted. A simple discussion with their employee would have sufficed, but in today's insanely charged PC/political environment, even the smallest incident is grounds for instant dismissal.

And Marines know better than to act without permission.

Both parties in this dispute are wrong, period.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Time Warner over-reacted. A simple discussion with their employee would have sufficed, but in today's insanely charged PC/political environment, even the smallest incident is grounds for instant dismissal.

Time Warner had a policy in effect to honor Memorial Day as per US Code. They didn't over-react and this isn't PC, they were following the law to the letter.

US Code Title 4 Section 6 clearly states that the flag is flown at half staff until 12:00 on Memorial Day and then raised to full height for the remainder of the day.

Flag etiquette 101....the Cub Scouts know this.

And Marines know better than to act without permission.

The Marine disobeyed US Code which was also Company Policy.....he needed to be fired. In his attempt to make the Company look bad, he made himself and the Corps look bad.
          "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

Time Warner had a policy in effect to honor Memorial Day as per US Code. They didn't over-react and this isn't PC, they were following the law to the letter.

US Code Title 4 Section 6 clearly states that the flag is flown at half staff until 12:00 on Memorial Day and then raised to full height for the remainder of the day.

The Marine disobeyed US Code which was also Company Policy.....he needed to be fired. In his attempt to make the Company look bad, he made himself and the Corps look bad.
            Wasn't necessary to fire an employee - a veteran at that - over a minor matter, so Time Warner is wrong, unless, of course, they fire every supervisor and high ranking exec who makes a poor decision.

A good supervisor could have handled this without it ever becoming a news item or a matter of contention; obviously, therefore, TW has no "good supervisors" and they must also be fired for their failure to act properly in this matter, and the president and CEO, who are ultimately responsible, must also be terminated. "Zero Tolerance" means exactly what it says, all the way up the chain of command.

Comment

In other words, this was not part of the greater left wing conspiracy? Flag etiquette is trained in the military to the level it used to be; you would not believe how many times I had to gig U.S. Navy ships for flying the flag at half mast while under way; a major no-no.
              Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
              Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Wasn't necessary to fire an employee - a veteran at that - over a minor matter, so Time Warner is wrong, unless, of course, they fire every supervisor and high ranking exec who makes a poor decision.
                He wasn't a TW employee, he was a contractor that deliberately broke the law.

TW isn't responsible for hiring or firing him, that is up to the company that hired him to do the job. TW can tell that company that the position is no longer needed. At that point the company can find another job for him or pay him with overhead.

His excuse for doing it was also idiotic.....Keep in mind, I am a retired Infantry Gunny...calling another Marines actions idiotic outside of the Corps is very difficult for me.

BTW, I'm still pissed that he is being called an "Ex-Marine," there is no such animal.

The reason it goes to full staff at noon is for those currently serving, before noon, at half staff is for those that died.

Here is Smuckatelli's reason for doing it:

Thornwell said he reacted angrily at what he took as a sign of disrespect to him and other vets. He can be heard cursing twice in a short video he shot at the scene with his phone. He said he wanted to send a message to military personnel around the world that “this is what the people back home think about us.”

So TW is showing respect to the military personnel around the world and ole numbnutts decides to disrespect those same people.

A good supervisor could have handled this without it ever becoming a news item or a matter of contention;
                How exactly should a good supervisor, TW or the Marine's company handle it when he already posted it on social media?

He specifically posted that to make TW look bad and as you are showing...it worked.
                "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
                  In other words, this was not part of the greater left wing conspiracy?
                  No, this one is pure 100% right wing conspiracy defending a numbnutt.

Had he been drunk....I could have given him a pass with some extra instruction on the Flag.

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
                  Flag etiquette is trained in the military to the level it used to be; you would not believe how many times I had to gig U.S. Navy ships for flying the flag at half mast while under way; a major no-no.
                  Don't even get me started Chief......

My newly minted Ensign almost had me clock her twice last summer.

She had to do her summer cruise on the Wasp, I drove her down to Norfolk so she could spend a little more time un-assing herself.

The day before she was trying to convince me that she had to report to the USO....it took some time to let it sink in that she was reporting straight to the ship, she wasn't flying into the airport in Norfolk.

The next question out of her was "how will I know where to go?" I told her to not worry, I would take her straight to the gangplank if she needed it. That is when I found out that she meant once she was aboard. I told her the OOD would tell her where to go. Then she informed me that She didn't know how to read compartments...

I asked her how she managed to get around on the Shiloh the year before when she floated from Japan to Hong Kong.....her answer..."I followed everyone else."

So then I told her to reference the Blue Jacket Manual, she gave me the strange look. I told her it was that book that I gave the day she was awarded her NROTC Scholarship. It final dawned on her what I was talking about and she said; "That book is for Enlisted, I'm going to be an Officer" I almost clocked her then.

Driving down to the ship, I listened to all of her 'college woe is me' stories and finally I told her to walk me through how she would report.

She had no idea that she was supposed to face aft, salute the colors and then face the OOD and request permission to come aboard. She attempted to tell me that the colors were on the main mast, not the aft of the ship. I REALLY wanted to clock her then......but I didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
                    Protocol says the flag should not have been lowered, he says he knew it and did it anyway.
                    Good post Sergio.

Comment

He wasn't a TW employee, he was a contractor that deliberately broke the law.

TW isn't responsible for hiring or firing him, that is up to the company that hired him to do the job. TW can tell that company that the position is no longer needed. At that point the company can find another job for him or pay him with overhead.

His excuse for doing it was also idiotic.....Keep in mind, I am a retired Infantry Gunny...calling another Marines actions idiotic outside of the Corps is very difficult for me.

BTW, I'm still pissed that he is being called an "Ex-Marine," there is no such animal.

The reason it goes to full staff at noon is for those currently serving, before noon, at half staff is for those that died.

Here is Smuckatelli's reason for doing it:

Thornwell said he reacted angrily at what he took as a sign of disrespect to him and other vets. He can be heard cursing twice in a short video he shot at the scene with his phone. He said he wanted to send a message to military personnel around the world that “this is what the people back home think about us.”

So TW is showing respect to the military personnel around the world and ole numbnutts decides to disrespect those same people.

How exactly should a good supervisor, TW or the Marine's company handle it when he already posted it on social media?

He specifically posted that to make TW look bad and as you are showing...it worked.
                      Awwww...the itty-bitty widdle former Marine said a bad thing about gweat big Time-Warner? And they couldn't deal with it like real men? The elephant got raped by a mosquito?

Tsk...tsk...

And you might actually read my post in which I very clearly stated that he was wrong, too.

Comment

Awwww...the itty-bitty widdle former Marine said a bad thing about gweat big Time-Warner? And they couldn't deal with it like real men? The elephant got raped by a mosquito?

Tsk...tsk...
                        Time Warner dealt with it like grown men and women. Would you have been happier if they allowed the former Marine to disrespect the flag and currently serving military?

Something you need to think about MM, sometimes the little guy is 100% wrong.

And you might actually read my post in which I very clearly stated that he was wrong, too.
                        I have been reading your posts in this thread. You are clearly wrong in your assessment of Time Warner.....heck, you were claiming that he worked for them.

You should actually read what is being posted and the links that are being discussed.

Comment

Time Warner dealt with it like grown men and women. Would you have been happier if they allowed the former Marine to disrespect the flag and currently serving military?

Something you need to think about MM, sometimes the little guy is 100% wrong.

[FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]

I have been reading your posts in this thread. You are clearly wrong in your assessment of Time Warner.....heck, you were claiming that he worked for them.

You should actually read what is being posted and the links that are being discussed.

I read the drivel you post. You're the one not reading mine.

Were you ever a supervisor, Nichols? Ever discipline someone without terminating them or sending them to jail? Ever correct a small problem without turning it into a nuclear media firestorm? Just by sitting down with a subordinate and explaining what went wrong and why, and asking them to help in preventing it from happening again?

Ever serve in the military yourself? Make a minor mistake? Was it handled like intelligent adults, or were you sent to the stockade immediately for a minor infraction? Was any actual harm done to Time-Warner by this incident, or did they just throw away a million dollars worth of outstanding in their galloping rush to turn this former Marine into a villain?

No, of course not. Your appalling lack of comprehension and your utterly inane responses make that glaringly obvious.

Time-Warner and the contracting company could have easily handled this in an adult manner, but they chose not to, thus making this a clear cut case of using a cannon to swat a fly, fired by a bunch of bureaucratic pi$$ants.

Comment

You need to read the forum rules.

Comment

Okay, everyone calm down.
                              Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X