A Sad Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Sad Day

Graduations were marred by accidents, one fatal, at the Air Force Academy and the Naval Academy, when members of both elite aerial teams crashed.

An F-16 from the Thunderbirds crashed near Peterson Field on final approach when something went wrong and the pilot diverted to avoid crashing into civilian areas. The pilot ejected at the last minute after guiding his aircraft safely down into a field and survived.

The Blue Angels pilot was not so lucky and was killed.

see thread already running http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...43&postcount=1
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

...so, how much did THAT cost?

RIP to the USMC pilot from the Blue Angels who was unable to eject in time.

I know I'll catch some flak over this next statement but, isn't it time to stop wasting government funds putting on circus acts for the public? Was it last year that a member of the famous US Army parachute team lost his life? How much time and effort was put into the training of the Marine pilot that was killed the other day? And, wasn't there another Blue Angels mishap with loss of life just recently?
      Yeah, I've seen all the "holy mackerel!" stunts and impossible maneuvers that these awesomely trained pilots can do. They are truly amazing. But wouldn't it be better if they used this training to do what they're supposed to be doing? i.e. Using their skills to defend this country and to prosecute enemies?
      Just sayin'...
      ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
      IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

RIP Marine!
        Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Another Marine reporting, Sir...

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post

I know I'll catch some flak over this next statement but, isn't it time to stop wasting government funds putting on circus acts for the public? Was it last year that a member of the famous US Army parachute team lost his life? How much time and effort was put into the training of the Marine pilot that was killed the other day? And, wasn't there another Blue Angels mishap with loss of life just recently?
            Yeah, I've seen all the "holy mackerel!" stunts and impossible maneuvers that these awesomely trained pilots can do. They are truly amazing. But wouldn't it be better if they used this training to do what they're supposed to be doing? i.e. Using their skills to defend this country and to prosecute enemies?
            Just sayin'...
            Your posting doesn't merit a reply.

Comment

RIP, Sir, and thank you for your service.

Comment

RIP to the Blue Angels pilot Jeff Kuss.

Comment

Just sayin'...
                  Not sure about actual value in dollars, but the flying and parachute teams educate the public and they are probably the best recruiting tools out there. These teams still do it for less than the mostly phased out Armed Forced Day dog and pony shows from the past.
                  My worst jump story:
                  My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                  As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                  No lie.

~
                  "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                  -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                    Your posting doesn't merit a reply.
                    So...why did you reply? I mean, I KNEW that my comment would not hit everyone at the same level and I truly am sorry that a valued member of the USMC lost his life doing a stunt but let's look at the cost that these shows incur. Not just in taxpayer funds but also in lives and in taking these superbly trained individuals out of the combat ready roster. And also for taking their billion dollar machines out of circulation to do the job for which they were intended.
                    ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                    IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                      RIP Marine!
                      Fair winds and following seas Marine......Shipmate going ashore.

Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                      Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Just sayin'...
                        Yes, it would, but it's a giant PR and recruiting tool, and besides, what else do the services have to amuse politicians like Obama.

The AF pilot did a superb job and his aircraft slid to halt in a field with minimal damage despite his having ejected. I can only assume that he held on until the last possible moment before pulling the handle.

Comment

Just sayin'...
                          There have been display flights almost as long as there have been military aircraft and all major air forces have them. As was pointed out as long ago as WW1 very few of the aerobatics performed by these have any role in actual combat. Somewhere I have a photo taken by my Grandfather of a flight of Gloster Gamecocks at Hendon performing formation flying with the aircraft linked together with coloured ropes.
                          However they do foster the public's support of the armed forces for which they are paying, strengthen esprit de corps in those forces, foster the development of flying skills, act as a recruiting sergeant and fly the flag on overseas engagements. It's not a lot different from the Brigade of Guards trooping the colours whilst wearing scarlet uniforms and bearskins or the Royal Horse Artillery galloping around to music with WW1 vintage 13 pounders
                          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Just sayin'...
                            They are needed.

With the almost total disconnect of the American public with our military; these demonstrations are a very effective bridge.

I had to support two 'Marine Day' events. One in Seattle with the Blue Angels and one in Phoenix without the Blue Angels. It was a major pain in the rear end both financially and physically to get the USMC training gear out to these locations but in the end the interaction between the public and the military was well worth it.

What these two incidents point out is what has been reported the past couple of months; Lack of funding, scarcity of parts, lack of training....

Sequestration is killing our military.
                            "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X