Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And There Are Those That Say Defense Spending Should Be Cut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
    The Navy always runs out of money before the end of the fiscal year. TDY in a five star hotel.
    The other branches don't have that problem? I just assumed the other branches had the same issues.

Comment

Originally posted by FTCS View Post
      Excuse me. I was commenting on Mountain Mans suggestion of using US military to work on the national infrastructure.
      Then you brought up Eisenhower and somehow that seemed to get twisted into Eisenhower using the military to build the interstate highway system.
      All is well, I brought up Eisenhower because after the war our military was downsized greatly, there were many veterans out of work. The Interstate system was one of the greatest accomplishments of this nation, it created jobs, but beyond that it improved transportation systems and interstate commerce which in turn created more jobs.
      But he did more than just push for new highway systems, airports were expanded to accommodate the next generation of commercial aircraft powered by jet engines, schools were build to accommodate the "boom generation",
      The nation built more power plants to provide for future expansion.
      Sadly, our self centered short sighted instant gratification driven generation could not even muster the consensus to maintain the infrastructure we inherited, bridges are replaced after they fail, our aging natural gas pipelines are past they expected life span, our sewer systems are operating beyond capacity, our drinking water systems are antiquated., our schools are aging and operated by a spoils system.
      Our once great space program has no direction and has failed to capture the publics imagination.
      The things we are really good at are, eliminating jobs, closing US plants, failure of enforcing basic health codes, and using drones to blow crap up.
      Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
      Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
        The other branches don't have that problem? I just assumed the other branches had the same issues.
        Rarely, we normally have last minute spending sprees so we don't lose it.

Besides we sleep on the ground.
        My worst jump story:
        My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
        As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
        No lie.

~
        "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by FTCS View Post
          Seems that when one looks at the facts, the military is really hurting. For example
          http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...vy-a_160601.nl

Until they stop sequestration cuts, there is no way to know what can be trimmed from the budget. The DOD is going to need at least three years to recover from sequestration once it stops.

Today isn't like the old days when you had a mad rush to spend remaining funds in August......those funds aren't there anymore and it is next to impossible to transfer funds from one budget line to another.
          "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
            Rarely, we normally have last minute spending sprees so we don't lose it.

Besides we sleep on the ground.
            I don't think we have last minute spending sprees either. The money for Annual Training, schools, and other things that are known entities seems to start going low April-May. Truth be told, I know funding is beyond my paygrade. I focus on making sure I meet my requirements and don't get too wrapped up in the actual funding - it's not like I can have an impact on it, so I don't waste energy on it.

Comment

Meanwhile, in Georgia.....

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/south-carolina-air-national-guard-f-16s-crash-georgia-n588046

Two more birds down. Seems we're getting these stories every few days now.
              ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

A good place to start is cutting down on the number of civilian contactors. Deployed Army Avn units going to the ME are leaving their assigned avn maintenance people behind, without anything to maintain, while contactors do the work on those that are deployed

Overall cost go up and assigned military are less proficient having no real MOS duties.

Two major hqs here have more coat and ties than uniforms walking around.

When did this start? Haliberton in Gulf I ?
                "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                  Halliburton did get a boost capping the oil wells in Gulf War I but contingency contracting has been a part of the military since 1775.

The big change occurred during the Balkans War. Everyone wanted the 'Peace Dividend' from the ending of the Cold War. Reducing the forces but hiring additional non contingency contractors was the solution. No more mess/KP duty.......
                  "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                    A good place to start is cutting down on the number of civilian contactors. Deployed Army Avn units going to the ME are leaving their assigned avn maintenance people behind, without anything to maintain, while contactors do the work on those that are deployed

Overall cost go up and assigned military are less proficient having no real MOS duties.

Two major hqs here have more coat and ties than uniforms walking around.

Concur John, too many things have been civilianized. I used to see active duty people take care of base grounds and buildings. Sailors used to do maintenance on their own ships and bring aboard their own stores. That is not the case anymore and I really do not see the savings and it has to be a security concern. Who the heck are these civilians that are applying coats of paint to destroyers and that bring cases of soda aboard aircraft carriers and how well screened are they?

You may recall the case of the truck driver that got onto Norfolk Navy Base and made it all the way to the quarterdeck of the USS Mahan where he managed to grab a gun from one of the watch personnel and used it to kill a PO2 before he was shot and killed himself. He only possessed a TWIC ID and he was granted that even though he was a convicted felon (he did five years for manslaughter).

To make things even worse, the Navy has been flirting with the idea of using Civil Service Mariners in the engine rooms of warships (as opposed to tenders). What would happen if the USA and China got into a no BS shooting war in the South China Sea? A very real possibility as you probably know. What would stop that civilian engineer from walking off the destroyer that he is working because he does not want to go to war? He/she is a civilian after all.

http://wavy.com/2015/03/17/navy-repo...ahan-shooting/

http://cimsec.org/moving-navycivmar-...t-forward/8283
                    Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                    Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X