Clear All

• We The People

Good for us!
    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
      Good for us!
      How well did the recent apology in Hiroshima go over?
      Last edited by Salinator; 02 Jun 16, 01:07.
      Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Years ago I did a tour of Nagasaki. We took a cable car to a mountaintop where you had a view of the city. There was a panoramic photograph of the city as it appeared after the bombing below the viewing windows.
        All I thought at the time was "Man, we really blew the living $h!+ out of that city with a single bomb..." America has nothing to apologize for from ending a war Japan started in Japan's defeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
          How well did the recent apology in Hiroshima go over?
          Which apology was that?
          "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
          G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
          Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
            Which apology was that?
            Sarcastic remark about Obama visit to Hiroshima.

Prayers.

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
              Sarcastic remark about Obama visit to Hiroshima.
              Did he make a sarcastic apology?

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
                No. It was a pathetic apology.

Prayers.

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post

I think the apology was implicit.
                  Just my opinion, but I can't see what else was the purpose of the wreath laying.
                  If a future president were to lay a wreath at a memorial to Osama Bin Laden I think that BO's supporters would be rightfully offended at the implied message.

It would be difficult to see such a hypothetical wreath laying as anything other than an apology for our actions.

Why are we laying wreaths at Hiroshima and not Dresden, or Berlin, or Tokyo? Or at a memorial to the victims of Japanese brutality?
                  Hiroshima wasn't the only place where we killed thousands in the course of a war that was forced on us.
                  Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Agree completely.

More people were killed in the Tokyo firebomb raids than in either nuke drop.

Japan sowed the wind and reaped the whirlwind.

I don't feel sorry for them at all. If you start it you get what's coming.

Comment

Did Japan apologized for the death march,the rape of Nankin , of Manilla, the beheadings of allied pows , the global deshumanization that they put in each of their military actions ?
                      That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
                        Just my opinion, but I can't see what else was the purpose of the wreath laying.
                        If a future president were to lay a wreath at a memorial to Osama Bin Laden I think that BO's supporters would be rightfully offended at the implied message.

It would be difficult to see such a hypothetical wreath laying as anything other than an apology for our actions.

Why are we laying wreaths at Hiroshima and not Dresden, or Berlin, or Tokyo? Or at a memorial to the victims of Japanese brutality?
                        Hiroshima wasn't the only place where we killed thousands in the course of a war that was forced on us.
                        A number of American presidents have participated in wreath laying ceremonies in former enemy countries, to somehow read an implied apology when no apology was actually delivered is reading between the lines. The word "imply" is closely related to 'indicate' or 'mean' but it is not something that would stand up in a court of law because it requires an assumption. I will also point out that in Asia, apologizing is not an admission of guilt like it is in our litigious society, it is merely an expression of regret.
                        Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                        Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
                          Did Japan apologized for the death march,the rape of Nankin , of Manilla, the beheadings of allied pows , the global deshumanization that they put in each of their military actions ?
                          No Japan has done no such thing Seb, and frankly it is high time that the Japanese government did that. Frankly, that was an American failure at the end of WWII as the Japanese should have been forced to accept what they did just as the Germans had their collective noses rubbed in the stinking pile of excrement that was the Holocaust. That however, is a different matter altogether.
                          Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                          Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

So even though there was no apology of any kind made some people are determined to see one. I guess that this can be added to the fake apology tour.

It would make more sense to point to the incongruence of a President who has just agreed to undertake a $1 trillion nuclear arsenal upgrade going to such a memorial with the nuclear codes on hand.
                            "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
                            G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
                            Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/05/06/in...pagewanted=all

BITBURG, West Germany, May 5 — President Reagan presided over a wreath-laying today at the base of a brick cemetery tower looming over the graves of nearly 2,000 German soldiers, including 49 SS troops.
                              “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                              “To talk of many things:
                              Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                              Of cabbages—and kings—
                              And why the sea is boiling hot—
                              And whether pigs have wings.”
                              ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X