X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two dead in UCLA shooting.

Not many details available yet.

Associated Press
    LOS ANGELES — Two people were shot and killed on the UCLA campus Wednesday, a police spokesman said.

Campus media relations officer Rebecca Kendall said she did not know the whereabouts of the shooter.

The campus on the city's west side was locked down, and university and Los Angeles police officers were moving around with weapons drawn. More than a dozen police cars massed near Boelter Hall, an engineering building.

Los Angeles Officer Tony Im would only say that the department's officers are responding to a report of an active shooter.

The shooting occurred the week before final exams at the school, the flagship of the University of California system with about 43,000 students.
    Boelter Hall is near the center of a campus that occupies 419 acres in a bustling part of Los Angeles.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Just another day in pradice
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Yeah, just spoke to the 3 nieces there; they're ok. It's gotta be tough for the law presence there. That campus is huge and even just the engineering buildings are really a maze internally. I went there as a kid with my mom for her research library stuff and it was seriously creepy in those engineering stacks. Plus, it's a bad time, right during finals. Lots of stress... this isn't helping.

Comment

When you get past the full screen advertising.
        http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...nap-story.html
        It now appears to be a murder suicide as the usual panic and speculation spreads throughout the campus.
        “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Meh. Murder suicide. Nothing to see here, move along...

Comment

Yeah, probably someone who blew his tests, labs or didn't make the grades he needed and couldn't handle it unfortunately. Sad. No panic, though, at least from the students. My nieces said everyone was pretty calm about, they just went to their dorm and locked up and then started to walk around the hallways after a little while.
            She said that the police were pretty intense though with all the different teams from feds, LAPD, sheriffs, etc. etc. Some she couldn't even identify except they had vests and helmets on and SMGs, (her family has an NCIS addiction so she named off MP5s, and CAR15s too, lol). Parents were freaking probably though.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
              Meh. Murder suicide. Nothing to see here, move along...
              Yep. Run-of-the-mill lover's spat gone terminal.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

You know, the nice thing about UCLA is that they're like 4 blocks from the Fed building....although I suppose that could go both ways.....

Comment

Originally posted by boomer400 View Post
                  You know, the nice thing about UCLA is that they're like 4 blocks from the Fed building....although I suppose that could go both ways.....
                  What good is that? The Feds won't respond to something like that until they get invited. Even then they're of limited use since they don't have jurisdiction.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                    What good is that? The Feds won't respond to something like that until they get invited. Even then they're of limited use since they don't have jurisdiction.
                    Plus they don't have the same training, they're not integrated into the response, their radios don't have the right freqs, they're not in uniform and thus difficult to recognize, and so on (AJ can probably give a few more problems).

If I was senior officer in the initial response and the feds rolled up to help, I'd punch them out as outer perimeter to keep onlookers at bay so I could push more of my officers in after the threat.

We had a comically bad 'gunbrella' incident a few years back that showed in vivid detail why plainclothes officers are a bad idea in one of these deals. Drug task force officers were near the college when an 'armed subject' call went out. They responded to assist.....and the uniformed officers spent more time proning the drug cops out and identifying them than they did looking for the 'gunman'....it was an accidental hoax due to someone misidentifying an umbrella and calling 911.
                    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

One has to wonder when one of these massive police responses to a university campus (aka "gun free zone) results in their shooting some idiot college student because he or she didn't do what the police said or such. Given the numbers involved in the responses these days, odds are in favor of that happening...

Comment

Originally posted by boomer400 View Post
                        ... My nieces said everyone was pretty calm about, they just went to their dorm and locked up and then started to walk around the hallways after a little while. ....
                        The media made it sound like thousands of kids were running around screaming their heads off.
                        Trust the news, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                          Apparently, there's an understanding....and since UCLA has some national security stuff, there's a presence. And some kind of integration as well. Dunno the details, feel free to investigate and tell us.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                            The media made it sound like thousands of kids were running around screaming their heads off.
                            Trust the news, eh?
                            I was watching some of that, but I think that it was more the news screaming their heads off than the kids. Some of the on-campus people were coming out to see what was going on while the LEO was running around telling them to go to safety; they could see nothing was going on so they'd just go back into their buildings, close their doors, and sit around. The guys in engineering were more concerned than anyone else. Now, if there was something going on like UT, I'm sure it would've been different.

Comment

This has to be made up, there are no guns allowed on campus in the state of California. Campuses are gun free zones!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X