Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Bad Is Trump’s Brand of Authoritarianism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Bad Is Trump’s Brand of Authoritarianism?

We went from "the great communicator" to "the great bamboozler!" God bless America!

Indeed, the issues often seem secondary, or maybe even irrelevant. Trump has changed his positions on matters of consequence—explaining away his past support for abortion rights or gun control, with a wave of his hands—and suffered no obvious consequences, which is why he can't be trusted any more than the elites. In the elites' case, a few tell the many what they need. In Trump's case, one man performs that function. And given that his views are often contradictory, usually uninformed and connected by no common philosophical thread, or reflecting a coherent theory of international relations, we have no basis for assessing whether his foreign policies, in practice, will be all that different from the elites that he so often scorns.
    http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the...arianism-16386
    Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
    Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

As with all speculation, the answer seems to be "We shall soon see."

Comment

The standard in any election is what the voters find acceptable.

That's democracy.

Hillary has shifted more than a drop of mercury on a Ferris wheel.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
        We went from "the great communicator" to "the great bamboozler!" God bless America!

And you skipped right over the Great Lying Con Artist in the process...BoBo Hussein.

Don't forget to mention the Murderous Lying B in your next post...you know...Hildebeast.

This is better than Comedy Television...all the paranoids running around screaming TRUMP IS COMING!!

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          And you skipped right over the Great Lying Con Artist in the process...BoBo Hussein.

Don't forget to mention the Murderous Lying B in your next post...you know...Hildebeast.

This is better than Comedy Television...all the paranoids running around screaming TRUMP IS COMING!!

You can always watch reruns of your GW's speeches.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
            I am somewhat confused about one thing, Mario. Where exactly is the justification in this article for suggesting that Trump represents authoritarianism? That he switches positions is clear - but that seems a pretty common aspect among politicians. That he appeals to the "masses" or "lowest common denominator" - others have done that as well. Fearmonger - check that box for other politicians also. Frankly, I can't see how he differs substantially from Hillary to justify calling the former "authoritarian" and the latter.. what.. anti-authoritarian? If authoritarian means acting unilaterally, we have already had Hillary violating rules when she was Secretary-of-State. Interestingly enough, one of the statements specifically put forward in the article - "what if such a leader committed to ”extending American power" globally, and convinc[ing] the American people to “accept their role as upholder and defender of the liberal world order”" - seems to describe Clinton more than any other candidate.

Comment

Bass Man is completely wrong about Trump. Trump is, on a national level, Sheriff Joe Arpaio.

Like Arpaio, Trump is has a great feel for what voters, the silent majority if you will, want. That often does not equate with what the MSM reports or pushes as views.

For example, Arpaio years ago was pro-illegal and really did nothing to pursue the issue. Then along came the si se Puente march in Phoenix. Tens of thousands of illegals and their supporters waving Mexican flags marching down Central Avenue. The MSM was supportive. Public outrage was overwhelming.
              Arpaio changed sides on the issue overnight. He went with what the public wanted, not what the press was saying. His popularity soared and the press castigated him mercilessly. He was easily reelected.

Trump is the exact same way. He knows the crowd and doesn't care what the elites and media are saying.

This is the exact opposite of Hillary. She could care less about the public-at-large. She only cares about enriching herself and doing what the establishment and elite want because that's the circle she runs in.

Arpaio wins election after election. The media, Left, and establishment hate the man. I personally won't vote for him because he costs taxpayers piles of money from his antics. But, I can't deny that he wins elections.

Hillary has no traction with the public-at-large. She wins with the party insiders and party faithful. That's why she's now polling neck and neck with Trump and that's going to get worse. That's why she lost to Obama. At least he knew how to play an audience. She can't do that. She comes off as the arrogant elitist she is. She makes Romney look charming and personal.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                Bass Man is completely wrong about Trump. Trump is, on a national level, Sheriff Joe Arpaio.

Like Arpaio, Trump is has a great feel for what voters, the silent majority if you will, want. That often does not equate with what the MSM reports or pushes as views.

For example, Arpaio years ago was pro-illegal and really did nothing to pursue the issue. Then along came the si se Puente march in Phoenix. Tens of thousands of illegals and their supporters waving Mexican flags marching down Central Avenue. The MSM was supportive. Public outrage was overwhelming.
                Arpaio changed sides on the issue overnight. He went with what the public wanted, not what the press was saying. His popularity soared and the press castigated him mercilessly. He was easily reelected.

Trump is the exact same way. He knows the crowd and doesn't care what the elites and media are saying.

This is the exact opposite of Hillary. She could care less about the public-at-large. She only cares about enriching herself and doing what the establishment and elite want because that's the circle she runs in.

Arpaio wins election after election. The media, Left, and establishment hate the man. I personally won't vote for him because he costs taxpayers piles of money from his antics. But, I can't deny that he wins elections.

Hillary has no traction with the public-at-large. She wins with the party insiders and party faithful. That's why she's now polling neck and neck with Trump and that's going to get worse. That's why she lost to Obama. At least he knew how to play an audience. She can't do that. She comes off as the arrogant elitist she is. She makes Romney look charming and personal.
                You've posted this before, and once again I have to say that is extremely apt in its particulars.

People forget Trump is a born salesman.
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

There's a sucker born every minute.

When is your birthday Rimmer?
                  "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

Excellent post.
                    ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                      The standard in any election is what the voters find acceptable.

That's democracy.

Hillary has shifted more than a drop of mercury on a Ferris wheel.
                      He'd rather have a monarch like under his king Obama, next queen Hillary. God bless America!
                      My worst jump story:
                      My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                      As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                      No lie.

~
                      "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                        There's a sucker born every minute.

When is your birthday Rimmer?
                        My worst jump story:
                        No lie.

~
                        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

I've given this some thought and I think you guys should go for trump. Not because i think he's going to be particularly good or that he is not in fact a demagogue who makes it up as he goes along . But because he's not Clinton or Bush . He is not the establishment a lying oligarchy which the people are utterly sick of. He won't get much done because of the way your checks and balances work ( and anyway who needs activist politicians anyway) but he is shockwave to scare the utter **** out of the status quo.
                          Trump is your Brexit. Do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
                            I am somewhat confused about one thing, Mario. Where exactly is the justification in this article for suggesting that Trump represents authoritarianism?...
                            Next month, and last yyear, he was too much of an anarchist...

Its easy; all they do is take something that is true about Hillary and try to reverse it by switching the name to Trump.
                            We have 5 more months of this to go, so get ready to do a lot of ignoring.

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                              I've given this some thought and I think you guys should go for trump. Not because i think he's going to be particularly good or that he is not in fact a demagogue who makes it up as he goes along . But because he's not Clinton or Bush . He is not the establishment a lying oligarchy which the people are utterly sick of. He won't get much done because of the way your checks and balances work ( and anyway who needs activist politicians anyway) but he is shockwave to scare the utter **** out of the status quo.
                              Trump is your Brexit. Do it.
                              My worst jump story:
                              No lie.

~
                              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X