Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louisiana Becomes First State to Make Targeting Officers a Hate Crime

It's about time!

BATON ROUGE, Louisiana -- Gov. John Bel Edwards has signed legislation that makes Louisiana the first state to make it a hate crime to target police officers and firefighters.

The legislation, which has been dubbed the "Blue Lives Matter" law expands the state hate crime law and ultimately increase penalties for certain crimes that target law enforcement and firefighters in Louisiana, including assault and arson.

It passed the Legislature with little resistance.

According to data from the National Conference of State Legislatures, no state has gone so far as to include law enforcement or firefighters among protected classes in hate crime laws.

Under Louisiana's hate crime statute, people convicted of felonies against protected classes face an additional five years in prison and up to $5,000 fine. In misdemeanor cases, the hate crime statute increases penalties by $500 or up to six months in prison. Those increased penalties will now be extended for any victim who is targeted based upon his or her actual or perceived employment as a law enforcement officer or firefighter.
    http://www.officer.com/news/12213336...n=CPS160521004
    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Good. Let's hope it works and that more states follow suit.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I agree, it should be a federal crime to target LEOs, and service men and women, firemen too.
      Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
        I agree, it should be a federal crime to target LEOs, and service men and women, firemen too.
        Screw that. The Feds don't execute many people.

Plus that would mean your investigative team will often be based a hundred or more miles away.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
          Hello UH.

I find that all people in the USA should be treated equally. In other words say if a man assaults a black person, a man assaults a Muslim, a man assaults a Christian, a man assaults a LE officer. Lets say all of these assaults were carried out due to the criminal having either anti religious, anti LE, or anti so called racial views. And say all the assaults result in the same physical damage...imo all the criminals should be charged equally.

I see a negative drawback in having hate crimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Taieb el-Okbi View Post
            Hello UH.

I find that all people in the USA should be treated equally. In other words say if a man assaults a black person, a man assaults a Muslim, a man assaults a Christian, a man assaults a LE officer. Lets say all of these assaults were carried out due to the criminal having either anti religious, anti LE, or anti so called racial views. And say all the assaults result in the same physical damage...imo all the criminals should be charged equally.

I see a negative drawback in having hate crimes.
            That train left the station years ago, and it was being driven by those who believe in victim status.
            Not that there is not a element of truth to the argument. If some targets a spicific group for harassment based on predjudice, I get it.
            But once it crosses from harassment to assault or murder, what's the point?
            But that is the present logic. Today people are targeting police officers because they are police officers. So less give them the same protection.

Comment

Is the murder of a cop the sole objective of the crime, or does this apply to situations where a cop gets killed during some other botched crime?

On one hand, I don't think a cop, trained, armed, and armored, should command a higher penalty than my Mom. The penalty should be equally harsh....

But if a cop is the target, it's an assassination. We're going beyond simple murder. It's insurgency.
              ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                Is the murder of a cop the sole objective of the crime, or does this apply to situations where a cop gets killed during some other botched crime?

On one hand, I don't think a cop, trained, armed, and armored, should command a higher penalty than my Mom. The penalty should be equally harsh....

But if a cop is the target, it's an assassination. We're going beyond simple murder. It's insurgency.
                As I understand it, it is directed at cases involving the targeting of LEOs, not the killing of all officers would be covered. But those in which the motive was to target officers,nsuch as the killing of the two NYC defectives last year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X