Girl in USMC not allowed to walk at her HS graduation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girl in USMC not allowed to walk at her HS graduation

Typical of the pretty Progressive / Leftist schools in Illinois, McHenry High School West Campus administration would not let a girl who had joined the Marine Corps walk graduation in her dress uniform.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/f...cL&ocid=SMSDHP

Megan Howerton, a U.S. Marine, chose to wear her Dress Blues instead of the required graduation cap and gown, NBC New York reports. School officials refused to let her walk in graduation, instead making her sit in the audience. Megan wasn't even mentioned in the graduation lineup, sparking outrage and a hashtag.

Could be Progressive lunacy and their hatred of the military, but there are probably many other reasons.

-Safety for the wearer
    -School conformity, etc.

Comment

Nah...just more Lefty Libby idiocy.

What she should have done was wear her blues under her gown, and after being handed her diploma, rip off the gown and stick it to them all.

Here's to you, Marine. Ne illegitimae, non carborundum.

Comment

Originally posted by rkohut View Post
        Could be Progressive lunacy and their hatred of the military, but there are probably many other reasons.

-Safety for the wearer
        -School conformity, etc.
        I'd say mostly Progressive lunacy. There are schools all over the Chicago area that are rife with it.

Groups like this predominate in their ranks...

http://www.teachersforjustice.org/

http://areachicago.org/economic-just...ons-directory/

http://www.greatschools.org/illinois...e-High-School/

http://www.ncte.org/cee/positions/socialjustice

Many of the leaders in the field of Critical Pedagogy teach at the University of Chicago or other Illinois and nearby universities.

Comment

Originally posted by rkohut View Post

-Safety for the wearer
          -School conformity, etc.
          Safety for the wearer? Seriously? Caps and Gowns are themselves the most unsafe things high school students are forced to wear.

Loose fitting gowns are get snagged on all short of things and are often caught by things such as escalators, car or bus doors, swiveling fans, etc. Some end up with a gown that is too long that causes someone not used to wearing a gown to trip on their own or to stop on someone's else gown. They are also slippery very slippery, especially when sitting on those metal folding chairs.

And then there are the caps with the square-board sharp points that is a menace when students of various heights are walking in close proximity or hugging each other. Not to even mention the cap tossing ritual that magically transform the caps into giant ninja throwing-stars.

Casualties at my high school graduation as witnessed by myself:

1) I recall at least four people tripping.
          2) One girl falling down the stairs of the stage when the person behind her was stepping on her gown.
          3) Some guy getting one of his contacts knocked out by someone's tassel, got a red eye and lost his contact.
          4) Numerous argument over whose cap belonged to whom.

Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

This is pure bullshit! I work at a progressive, left-leaning school. This last weekend, we had a Marine in uniform walk the stage. I wore my dress blues in lieu of gown, as did a COL in the AF. The faculty is overwhelmingly supportive, and encourages this.

Comment

This school seems to have a clear policy of what people have to wear. It also has an option which has been previously used by students in uniform. Not only did she not want to use that but she did not even mention to a staff member that she wanted to wear her uniform. All seems very hey look at me.

Change the rules by petitioning the school at a board meeting. Not mentioning her name as a student graduating was petty though.
              "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
              G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
              Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

Would she have been allowed to wear her cap and gown at the end of her boot camp graduation?

The whole time line seems off. How did she become a Marine before finishing HS?
                "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                  Would she have been allowed to wear her cap and gown at the end of her boot camp graduation?

Agreed....time line seems off. You can join USMC at 17 with parental consent....but I recall a pretty strict requirement for either a High School Diploma, or GED plus 1 year of college. At least that was what it was when I joined a bit over a decade ago.
                  Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Not sure about the Marines but the National Guard had an option, not sure if it still does, called Split Training or something where the Student did Basic between Junior and Senior year then AIT after graduation.
                    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                    “To talk of many things:
                    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                    Of cabbages—and kings—
                    And why the sea is boiling hot—
                    And whether pigs have wings.”
                    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Wear the required cap and gown over your dress blues.

Comment

One has the option to graduate HS as soon as they finish all their requirements and have enough credits. The early graduates have the right to return for the ceremony.
                        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

If they have a mandatory dress code that's the end of the subject.

Unless the student feels special. Come on guys, a dress code. Obey it or get booted...

I know the progressives hate the military. But if you break the rules expect consequences. Or do we just let anyone do what they will???
                          Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                            Or do we just let anyone do what they will???
                            Only if they're not liberals & progressives apparently
                            Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                              If they have a mandatory dress code that's the end of the subject.

Unless the student feels special. Come on guys, a dress code. Obey it or get booted...

I know the progressives hate the military. But if you break the rules expect consequences. Or do we just let anyone do what they will???
                              You mean, like the rich, the politicians, the Libbies, the minorities, the special groups like gays and the college professors? Most of America these days is doing what it damned well pleases.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X