Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Texting a problem in today's society?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Karri View Post
    No it means that texting is a bad manner for you.
    Actually I was referring to the bad manners you exhubed to AJR in the here and now....Have fun, you'll go far..... <PLONK>

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Holliday View Post
      Actually I was referring to the bad manners you exhubed to AJR in the here and now....
      He is my nemesis. Though I guess one should be polite even to the devil.
      Wisdom is personal

Comment

I wasn't talking about them but you. I have any number of friends, acquaintances and associates who have accomplished what you have listed. Is it supposed to mean something? Personal accomplishment are of course a measure of your personality on some level, but I thought you were talking about something bigger than what anyone can do.

And man, does time fly for you. I was begging for the contacts almost a year ago, last September. As you can check from the actual post. In any case, I didn't get any contacts from you or anyone else. That's about the time I started doing freelancing. I should update that thread to point out that it was 9 months ago, and I've pretty much figured this industry out. Also got offered several jobs which I turned down. And a part of a website which I took, and for which I am now responsible for almost all writing. My rate is still not what I want it to be. I recently got a gig to write for an american open carry blog, something with weapons anyways. Haven't had a decent look yet. So now you might be reading something I wrote, be in agreement with it and never know it. Either a curse or a blessing.
        My accomplishments are on line with those I listed. A bit higher in numbers since I have been doing it longer.

I don't read blogs, so I'll have to give your work a miss. It is an interesting coincidence, since I have published on firearms issues, albeit in print, not the Net. Most of my work, as you might imagine, has a much more narrow focus than simple discussion. A jury this month handed down 75 years based upon a 'writing gig' I did last summer, as just one example.

I'm glad you were able to find a job; that isn't really an accomplishment, more a basic requirement to adulthood. It doesn't seem a particularly stable one, but I'm sure you are doing the best you can.

However, to write well, one must have lived. So what have you done? Wife, children, lives saved, evil vanquished, violence faced, lives taken, fates altered? Who lives with your face an name burning in their head? Who lies beneath the sod because Karri stood against him? How many tombstones have men engraved your name upon? How many continents have you lived upon, great loves you have experienced, books you've written, lives you have changed?
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

What a lovely life you have led. However, to be your nemesis I would have to desire your destruction, whereas you haven't even made my Ignore List. I find you entertaining.

I've never considered having a 'nemesis'; that is an interesting thought. There is a guy in central Texas who has a tombstone near his house with my name engraved upon it, but he has several such dedicated to police officers, so I'm not unique I that regard, although I do display a photo of it in my office. There's a guy on Death Row who knows my name and curses it, but again, I'm not alone on his list.

There are a long list of lesser lights, too many to remember much less consider.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
            What a lovely life you have led. However, to be your nemesis I would have to desire your destruction, whereas you haven't even made my Ignore List. I find you entertaining.

I've never considered having a 'nemesis'; that is an interesting thought. There is a guy in central Texas who has a tombstone near his house with my name engraved upon it, but he has several such dedicated to police officers, so I'm not unique I that regard, although I do display a photo of it in my office. There's a guy on Death Row who knows my name and curses it, but again, I'm not alone on his list.

There are a long list of lesser lights, too many to remember much less consider.
            Have I made nemesis qualification yet?
            A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Nemesis.....now I have something to aspire to.....never had anyone go to the trouble of carving a gravestone for me to take a picture of.....got one or two serving life or better that don't like me though......
              Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

This is one of the rare perks I get when speaking English as a 2nd language.

I wasn't talking about them but you. I have any number of friends, acquaintances and associates who have accomplished what you have listed. Is it supposed to mean something? Personal accomplishment are of course a measure of your personality on some level, but I thought you were talking about something bigger than what anyone can do.

And man, does time fly for you. I was begging for the contacts almost a year ago, last September. As you can check from the actual post. In any case, I didn't get any contacts from you or anyone else. That's about the time I started doing freelancing. I should update that thread to point out that it was 9 months ago, and I've pretty much figured this industry out. Also got offered several jobs which I turned down. And a part of a website which I took, and for which I am now responsible for almost all writing. My rate is still not what I want it to be. I recently got a gig to write for an american open carry blog, something with weapons anyways. Haven't had a decent look yet. So now you might be reading something I wrote, be in agreement with it and never know it. Either a curse or a blessing.
                Note: Good on the job BTW....if you need any 'open carry' points or whatnot from a semi-rural cop's perspective, shoot me a PM.

As far as the argument (not a debate anymore) between you two.....I have a bit of a middle-ground perspective, being both a Millenial and having the same line of work.

I like my phone.....you'll see me using it at work, though normally I'm complaining about how many calls, texts, pages, and whatnot I'm getting....especially on day shifts. And the constant communications has gotten ridiculous. One reason I like taking Vacation on my bike is because I couldn't hear my phone ringing if it was on loud over the pipes.....and wouldn't stop to check it anyway.

OTOH, vis a vis accomplishments, I see both sides.

AJ, Karri does have experiences and a paying gig. It does count for something.

Karri, AJ has spent a long time in a field where 'all the losers die' (so to speak)......he's dealt with all strata of society, and has extremely high standards for what he thinks is a worthwhile contributing member.

Not that I'm going to have you two seeing eye to eye....but tone it down, thanks.
                Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                  Nemesis.....now I have something to aspire to.....never had anyone go to the trouble of carving a gravestone for me to take a picture of.....got one or two serving life or better that don't like me though......
                  In Texas at least, if you **** off the AB or AC bad enough, they do it. I am more of an 'honorable mention' than anything else, but I still claim it.

It us juvenile to do so, I know, but I still think it is pretty cool.

Comment

How about some distracted driving.....

He films him but doesn't correct the problem.....

“I was scared, very scared,” said the passenger. “I couldn’t take my eyes of the road, I couldn’t relax, or sleep, or work.”

The passenger said he was reluctant to confront the driver, in fear of angering him.

http://wtop.com/local/2016/05/exclus...o-nyc/slide/1/
                    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

I should clarify my posts, K.

My point is that you are young. Do something with your life. Join the Foreign Legion, or the Peace Corps, or hire onto a merchant ship hauling BMWs to Hong Kong.

Do something that positively impacts others lives, do something brutally hard and dangerous, and do something meaningful.

When to get old, you do not want to climb out of bed with aches and pains and think 'damn carpel tunnel'. At least have a story worth telling, be it shrapnel in Chad, a bar fight in Singapore, a truck wreck while running medical supplies through a civil war in Africa.

Don't get old and look back at 2016 and think, "That was the year I hit level 107 on Angry Birds." Because 2016 might be as far as you get.

You want to write anything with any staying power, you have to have lived. Look at the greats: Hemingway, Steinbeck, etc. They wrote based upon what they lived.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                        Just wait... Soon she'll be in a position of leadership in the Army and she could well end up your Second Lieutenant...
                        To paraphrase an old Navy joke, what is the only difference between a 2Lt and a PFC? A PFC has been promoted twice!
                        Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                        Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
                          To paraphrase an old Navy joke, what is the only difference between a 2Lt and a PFC? A PFC has been promoted twice!

Hehehhe....

Comment

I should clarify my posts, K.

My point is that you are young. Do something with your life. Join the Foreign Legion, or the Peace Corps, or hire onto a merchant ship hauling BMWs to Hong Kong.

Do something that positively impacts others lives, do something brutally hard and dangerous, and do something meaningful.

When to get old, you do not want to climb out of bed with aches and pains and think 'damn carpel tunnel'. At least have a story worth telling, be it shrapnel in Chad, a bar fight in Singapore, a truck wreck while running medical supplies through a civil war in Africa.

Don't get old and look back at 2016 and think, "That was the year I hit level 107 on Angry Birds." Because 2016 might be as far as you get.

You want to write anything with any staying power, you have to have lived. Look at the greats: Hemingway, Steinbeck, etc. They wrote based upon what they lived.
                            Well, a story worth telling or a life worth living. Perhaps they are the same thing. In any case the freelancing should give me the freedom to explore whatever avenue I choose to next. This all of course goes contrary to your legal advice though, at least since I read the likes of Bukowski, Thompson, Burroughs and their ilk, whom are on par with the likes of Hemingway, Steinbeck and others with their staying power.

Though when it comes to writing the two most important things are to read and to write. Luckily it's just about the only passion that has lasted me through my entire life. Or perhaps rather an addiction that has doomed me to this career, if I am to make any career.
                            Wisdom is personal

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X