Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Texting a problem in today's society?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    No she won't. Someone will notice and that will haunt her during her career.

GG
    Yes she will. We already have lower standards for women and now according to the article, they are picking on her because she is a female cadet. PC people just don't know how stupid they sound.
    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
      Yes she will. We already have lower standards for women and now according to the article, they are picking on her because she is a female cadet. PC people just don't know how stupid they sound.
      I considered that argument, and determined that I'll only entertain it when video of disgraceful males surfaces. If she behaved in matter befitting her position, none of us would be discussing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Holliday View Post
        Well perhaps in twenty more years you will have learned some manners...
        Manners change, and for the next generation texting/using phone/etc has nothing to do with manners.
        Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post
          Manners change, and for the next generation texting/using phone/etc has nothing to do with manners.
          Which is to say they have bad manners.

Being self-absorbed is bad manners.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
            Which is to say they have bad manners.

Being self-absorbed is bad manners.
            No it means that texting is a bad manner for you. But not for them. The generation that has been texting since they were kids, who have had phones, smartphones, tablets and computers their entire life are becoming adults now. Well, hitting their twenties. You are not one of them. Just because it is bad manners for you, does not mean it will be for them.

If being self-absorbed is bad manners, then it's both of you. In 20 years it's probably be gong to considered completely normal. Not that it's a good thing, just that it's interesting to see how technology changes peoples behavior like this.

Also the issue is much bigger than just this one. Everyone is glued to their smartphones or other entertainment devices these days. And just getting more so. It's like instead of smoking cigarettes every time you need to wait something for 5 minutes you now look through your smartphone. I rather have cancer than that.
            Wisdom is personal

Comment

Erm.....I'm 31.....technically a 'millenial'.......it's still bad manners.

My brother is 25 and it's bad manners......his girlfriend is 22 and it's bad manners.

'Technology' does not excuse being a self absorbed Sh!t. An example of Technology is an invitation that used to be done by card was then done by phone and now by Facebook group or group text. The form has changed.

For anyone, staring at your phone while actual things are happening around you.....more specifically while you are being addressed or while you're involved in one of the more important things in your life is just being a self absorbed sh!t. I'll bet she'd call off the wedding if her fiancee was texting while she was walking down the aisle!
              Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                Erm.....I'm 31.....technically a 'millenial'.......it's still bad manners.

My brother is 25 and it's bad manners......his girlfriend is 22 and it's bad manners.

'Technology' does not excuse being a self absorbed Sh!t. An example of Technology is an invitation that used to be done by card was then done by phone and now by Facebook group or group text. The form has changed.

For anyone, staring at your phone while actual things are happening around you.....more specifically while you are being addressed or while you're involved in one of the more important things in your life is just being a self absorbed sh!t. I'll bet she'd call off the wedding if her fiancee was texting while she was walking down the aisle!
                I'm not saying it's good, I am opposed to people doing this, but it's the logical conclusion. In any case if everyone thinks that being on the smartphone all the time is bad manners then why are everyone doing it? A lot of people post here through their phones...
                Wisdom is personal

Comment

No it means that texting is a bad manner for you. But not for them. The generation that has been texting since they were kids, who have had phones, smartphones, tablets and computers their entire life are becoming adults now. Well, hitting their twenties. You are not one of them. Just because it is bad manners for you, does not mean it will be for them.

If being self-absorbed is bad manners, then it's both of you. In 20 years it's probably be gong to considered completely normal. Not that it's a good thing, just that it's interesting to see how technology changes peoples behavior like this.

Also the issue is much bigger than just this one. Everyone is glued to their smartphones or other entertainment devices these days. And just getting more so. It's like instead of smoking cigarettes every time you need to wait something for 5 minutes you now look through your smartphone. I rather have cancer than that.
                  Nope, its bad manners.

And you are wrong, not everyone is glued to smartphones or other entertainment these days. Aside from the juvenile absurdity of claim9ing 'all' and trying to justify your bad behavior by the mores of the herd, there are actually young people who are using their time to accomplish things, and make a difference in other's lives as well as their own.

They are their generations' success stories, the valued members. I expect you have never met any, but they do exist.
                  Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Nope, its bad manners.

And you are wrong, not everyone is glued to smartphones or other entertainment these days. Aside from the juvenile absurdity of claim9ing 'all' and trying to justify your bad behavior by the mores of the herd, there are actually young people who are using their time to accomplish things, and make a difference in other's lives as well as their own.

They are their generations' success stories, the valued members. I expect you have never met any, but they do exist.
                    I claim contrary, and also claim knowledge vastly superior to yours due to my age.
                    Wisdom is personal

Comment

I claim contrary, and also claim knowledge vastly superior to yours due to my age.
                      Sorry Karri......I couldn't resist with you above response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLpE1Pa8vvI
                      "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

You can claim what you will, but your inexperience trumps nothing. I have men and women your age working for me to whom I was referring.

You, on the other hand, have accomplished nothing. That is your free choice, but you and your associates are not those of your generation who will amount to anything.

Comment

You can claim what you will, but your inexperience trumps nothing. I have men and women your age working for me to whom I was referring.

You, on the other hand, have accomplished nothing. That is your free choice, but you and your associates are not those of your generation who will amount to anything.
                          Sure chump, you have a couple of people from my generation working under you, and you immediately know my generation better than me. But then, delusions wouldn't be delusions if you could see through them. Not so sure if you should be a cop though with that kind of insensibility.

In any case I've had men your age working under me and they were much nicer and never such closet minds. Also how can you possibly know what I have accomplished and who I associate myself with? How can you even know what I consider an accomplishment? If you had ever accomplished anything worthwhile in your life(have you?) I could out accomplish you just to finally show you how wrong you are about everything.
                          Wisdom is personal

Comment

Sure chump, you have a couple of people from my generation working under you, and you immediately know my generation better than me. But then, delusions wouldn't be delusions if you could see through them. Not so sure if you should be a cop though with that kind of insensibility.

In any case I've had men your age working under me and they were much nicer and never such closet minds. Also how can you possibly know what I have accomplished and who I associate myself with? How can you even know what I consider an accomplishment? If you had ever accomplished anything worthwhile in your life(have you?) I could out accomplish you just to finally show you how wrong you are about everything.
                            Perhaps you meant closed minds - a closet is an old name for a lavatory/toilet/dunny/john - but then again....!
                            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

I deal with a wide variety of people each day, successful, mediocre, and failures. Its my career field. I get a much broader view of society across the age groups than most.

As to what they have accomplished, well, my young employees have solid careers, wives and children, own homes, saved lives, taken lives, delivered babies, and radically impacted the lives of scores of people. Some have made history.

And they're still in the early days.

A few weeks ago you were in the five star grill begging for contacts.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                                Perhaps you meant closed minds - a closet is an old name for a lavatory/toilet/dunny/john - but then again....!
                                This is one of the rare perks I get when speaking English as a 2nd language.

I deal with a wide variety of people each day, successful, mediocre, and failures. Its my career field. I get a much broader view of society across the age groups than most.

As to what they have accomplished, well, my young employees have solid careers, wives and children, own homes, saved lives, taken lives, delivered babies, and radically impacted the lives of scores of people. Some have made history.

And they're still in the early days.

A few weeks ago you were in the five star grill begging for contacts.
                                I wasn't talking about them but you. I have any number of friends, acquaintances and associates who have accomplished what you have listed. Is it supposed to mean something? Personal accomplishment are of course a measure of your personality on some level, but I thought you were talking about something bigger than what anyone can do.

And man, does time fly for you. I was begging for the contacts almost a year ago, last September. As you can check from the actual post. In any case, I didn't get any contacts from you or anyone else. That's about the time I started doing freelancing. I should update that thread to point out that it was 9 months ago, and I've pretty much figured this industry out. Also got offered several jobs which I turned down. And a part of a website which I took, and for which I am now responsible for almost all writing. My rate is still not what I want it to be. I recently got a gig to write for an american open carry blog, something with weapons anyways. Haven't had a decent look yet. So now you might be reading something I wrote, be in agreement with it and never know it. Either a curse or a blessing.
                                Last edited by Karri; 26 May 16, 13:33.
                                Wisdom is personal

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X