Google Want To Spy Inside Your Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Want To Spy Inside Your Home

Google, that champion of personal rights and privacy - - is offering a new device to be used inside our homes, operating on voice commands to provide information, control appliances ans so forth, but they have already admitted that the speaker system, which obviously has to hear us to operate properly, hears everything that goes on in our homes, and so can they.

Welcome to 1984.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Google, that champion of personal rights and privacy - - is offering a new device to be used inside our homes, operating on voice commands to provide information, control appliances ans so forth, but they have already admitted that the speaker system, which obviously has to hear us to operate properly, hears everything that goes on in our homes, and so can they.

Welcome to 1984.

Nothing to be shocked about. If you don't change your settings for google now or siri they are doing the same thing. Amazon's Echo with Alexa which was the first of this type to market does this. Windows 10 has either rightly or wrongly been accused of recording your keystrokes and near everything you do on your PC.

I would imagine the market for these items is a under 40 generation but mostly under 30 and are fine giving up privacy for convenience. The older generation are the ones that are a bit less trusting and are holding on to privacy but they most likely won't be buying these items in droves like the younger people will.

Comment

Hey Google... How does it feel to want?

Comment

Originally posted by A7V View Post
        Nothing to be shocked about. If you don't change your settings for google now or siri they are doing the same thing. Amazon's Echo with Alexa which was the first of this type to market does this. Windows 10 has either rightly or wrongly been accused of recording your keystrokes and near everything you do on your PC.

I would imagine the market for these items is a under 40 generation but mostly under 30 and are fine giving up privacy for convenience. The older generation are the ones that are a bit less trusting and are holding on to privacy but they most likely won't be buying these items in droves like the younger people will.
        Xbox one can not only draw audio, but also video.

Hackers can access both audio and video from computers. Pretty soon from phones, if they can't already.

This is old news.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
          Xbox one can not only draw audio, but also video.

Hackers can access both audio and video from computers. Pretty soon from phones, if they can't already.

This is old news.
          Let them try and see through the electrical tape I have over the camera on this computer...

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
            Let them try and see through the electrical tape I have over the camera on this computer...
            Stopped wearing pants while posting again?
            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
              Stopped wearing pants while posting again?
              I never wore them to begin with...

Comment

I never wore them to begin with...

No one has mentioned that most new vehicles have features that can be used to listen to the occupants. Many also have GPS tracking.

As do most phones.

Comment

Refrigerators now as well.

Comment

[FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Google, that champion of personal rights and privacy
                    Well...

Apple, Microsoft, and Google are among 10 top tech companies that this week signed onto a letter backing passage of a bill that would curtail bulk collection of Internet metadata by government agencies.
                    http://www.computerworld.com/article...nt-spying.html

Google and other technology companies are backing Apple Inc. in its fight against the U.S. government, which is trying to get the company to unlock an encrypted iPhone, a move that the industry fears will lead to greater access by any authorities to private data.
                    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ent-decryption

Anyway, if you're that worried about these kinds of devices you could always download a program like Wireshark and see if the device is actually transmitting data to the outside and where it's transmitting that data to.
                    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                    - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                      Well...

http://www.computerworld.com/article...nt-spying.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ent-decryption

Anyway, if you're that worried about these kinds of devices you could always download a program like Wireshark and see if the device is actually transmitting data to the outside and where it's transmitting that data to.
                      I don't use them.

My computer does not have a camera in it. My cell phone is put away in a drawer at night after being turned off, and I never use Google or Facebook, and I don't need to talk to my handheld. I have a device that never fails me - a map.

I'm neither socially addicted nor socially crippled. I have this unique ability to talk to people face-to-face.
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I'm not sure if I should feel relieved or embarrassed that my wife did the same to my laptop while claiming I was too ugly to be seen by hackers. She did go out of her way to find white electrical tape to match the Apple.

My Windows PC is too cheap to have a camera, so she left that alone........
                        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Welcome to 1984.

And?

Offering a device vs. that device being required? The solution is simple: don't buy it. Duh.

Way to totally not get Orwell's 1984.
                          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                            And?

Offering a device vs. that device being required? The solution is simple: don't buy it. Duh.

Way to totally not get Orwell's 1984.
                            Yes, that appear to be the most immediate answer. However, more and more often we have to obtain a new technology or a new app in order not to be left behind. We are so now getting so accustomed to surrendering our rights to privacy that no one really reads the "agreement" anymore before clicking "agreed" or "submit".
                            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

How do you mute the built in mic?

Don't forget the Smart TV, the mandated cable box, the X-Box, the camera and mic on nearly cell phone, smart phone, tablet, etc...
                              “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X