Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The next Ma Barker? A Hardened Criminal in the Making

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The next Ma Barker? A Hardened Criminal in the Making

    Are we really this paranoid?

    Call out the SWAT team! We need back up! GO IN WITH GUNS BLAZING!!!
    She may have been planning to take her teacher hostage!

    Colorado elementary school burst a 5-year-old girl’s bubble when it suspended her for bringing a bubble gun to school on Monday, FOX31 reported.
    The unidentified kindergartner put the plastic bubble-maker in her backpack when she left for Southeast Elementary School in Brighton. The girl’s mom, Emma, said she was unaware her daughter packed the gun, but she found out later that day when the school called and told Emma to pick up her daughter.
    “If they had contacted me and said, ‘Can you make sure this doesn’t happen again? We just want you to be aware,’ I think that would have been a more appropriate way to handle the situation,” Emma told FOX31. “Could we have a warning? It blows bubbles.”
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/5-y...2K0?li=BBnb7Kz
    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

  • #2

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
      Are we really this paranoid?
      The creeps that teach your kids certainly are.

      Makes you wonder what other tactics they are using to traumatize them, doesn't it?
      Give your kids audio recorders, mini-cams if you can.
      If you care.
      "Why is the Rum gone?"

      -Captain Jack

      Comment


      • #4
        I was just thinking,,,,, are the custodians allowed to pack caulking guns?
        Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
        Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

        Comment


        • #5
          Little girl brings in bubble gun potentially leads to little children bringing in toy gun which potentially leads to more little children bringing in toy guns which potentially leads to one little child bringing a real gun to school.....

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Paddybhoy View Post
            Little girl brings in bubble gun potentially leads to little children bringing in toy gun which potentially leads to more little children bringing in toy guns which potentially leads to one little child bringing a real gun to school.....
            This is exactly the motivation behind the zero tolerance rules.

            You nip it in the bud.

            We hear wailing about school shootings, and then we hear wailing about procedures to prevent school shootings.
            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Paddybhoy View Post
              Little girl brings in bubble gun potentially leads to little children bringing in toy gun which potentially leads to more little children bringing in toy guns which potentially leads to one little child bringing a real gun to school.....
              Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
              We hear wailing about school shootings, and then we hear wailing about procedures to prevent school shootings.
              We also hear about how moronic, ignorant, stupid and paranoid the slippery-slope argument is if it is made in regard to gun-control laws, or illegal immigration, gay-marriage or the transgendered. Yet in this case we are to accept it as valid?

              Zero tolerance policies are a shield for school administrations to have no backbone and no common sense. This makes as much sense as calling SWAT in response to a kid with a PEZ dispenser, and then justifying it by claiming "Well! Pez dispenser today, UZI tomorrow!"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Martok View Post
                We also hear about how moronic, ignorant, stupid and paranoid the slippery-slope argument is if it is made in regard to gun-control laws, or illegal immigration, gay-marriage or the transgendered. Yet in this case we are to accept it as valid?

                Zero tolerance policies are a shield for school administrations to have no backbone and no common sense. This makes as much sense as calling SWAT in response to a kid with a PEZ dispenser, and then justifying it by claiming "Well! Pez dispenser today, UZI tomorrow!"
                No one suggested a 'slippery slope defense'.

                As Paddy noted, there is a distinct chain of events that come into play. Accidental shootings are not as sexy as mass shootings, but they still happen. And the more aggressive the policy, the greater the chance it will be enforced.

                This isn't guesswork, this is the result of careful examination of bitter experience.

                Reduce security, accept the price in blood. That is your only choice.
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                  National Weather Service suspended for thirty days...Air Force ordered to make certain it never happens again.
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                    This is exactly the motivation behind the zero tolerance rules.

                    You nip it in the bud.

                    We hear wailing about school shootings, and then we hear wailing about procedures to prevent school shootings.
                    There are no records anywhere of anyone ever being killed, deliberately or accidentally, by a "bubble gun", not even in Texas.

                    The issue here is not whether or not to take notice and do something; it's the issue of how best to handle it. This was an ignorant, bullying way.

                    In a society which now refuses to give out bad grades because it damages children's little psyches, what kind of damage does this to to that child?

                    Are you seriously suggesting that this could not have been handled in a much more intelligent and helpful fashion by simply sitting the child down with her mother, explaining the issues to her, and getting the full cooperation of mother and child? Is it necessary to treat little children like targets of a SWAT team, while proclaiming to be worried about their self-esteem? Which is it?

                    Do you have children, Rimmer? How do you handle family disciplinary problems? Arrest them and throw them in lockup for a week or so? Or treat them like real people, sit them down, explain the problem and what went wrong, and tell them how to fix it?

                    If the real goal is to prevent school shootings, try education and guidance. Try teaching children real values for a change, instead of the bubble gum crap that passes for school curriculums today.

                    BTW - when can we expect to see "zero tolerance" in law enforcement, politics and government...oh, yeah...school board members?
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                      No one suggested a 'slippery slope defense'.
                      That is exactly the argument Paddybhoy made. A will lead to B will lead to C will lead to Columbine. But that is a stupid argument, as you won't prevent the next Columbine by smacking down a five year old with a Frozen-themed bubble gun.

                      The vast majority of Kindergarten kids operate from the open mindset geared toward the desire to please the adults they interact with. In cases such as this school administrations could avail themselves of that fact, and use the incident as a learning experience for all. But no, zero tolerance policies require the complete absence of both thought and reason. Therefore no thought or reason were applied.

                      Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                      As Paddy noted, there is a distinct chain of events that come into play.
                      Because every kid who plays with a bubble gun becomes Eric Harris or Dylan Klebold.

                      This:



                      Is a screaming call for school administration intervention and action.

                      This:



                      Is a take the toy and a three minute phone call home.

                      Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                      Accidental shootings are not as sexy as mass shootings, but they still happen. And the more aggressive the policy, the greater the chance it will be enforced.
                      Who was this child going to shoot and with what? But maybe you guys are correct. If this kid had gotten away with bringing a plastic toy bubble gun to school, she may have graduated to pop tarts.

                      Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                      This isn't guesswork, this is the result of careful examination of bitter experience.
                      Interesting when considering liberal/progressive policy a five year old with a bubble gun requires a harsh, immediate, and draconian response, yet a five year old claiming to be different sex is to be praised for their wisdom, insight, and courage to speak out.

                      Madness.

                      Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                      Reduce security, accept the price in blood. That is your only choice.
                      This was kindergarten. What security was bypassed here?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        There are no records anywhere of anyone ever being killed, deliberately or accidentally, by a "bubble gun", not even in Texas.

                        The issue here is not whether or not to take notice and do something; it's the issue of how best to handle it. This was an ignorant, bullying way.

                        In a society which now refuses to give out bad grades because it damages children's little psyches, what kind of damage does this to to that child?

                        Are you seriously suggesting that this could not have been handled in a much more intelligent and helpful fashion by simply sitting the child down with her mother, explaining the issues to her, and getting the full cooperation of mother and child? Is it necessary to treat little children like targets of a SWAT team, while proclaiming to be worried about their self-esteem? Which is it?

                        Do you have children, Rimmer? How do you handle family disciplinary problems? Arrest them and throw them in lockup for a week or so? Or treat them like real people, sit them down, explain the problem and what went wrong, and tell them how to fix it?

                        If the real goal is to prevent school shootings, try education and guidance. Try teaching children real values for a change, instead of the bubble gum crap that passes for school curriculums today.

                        BTW - when can we expect to see "zero tolerance" in law enforcement, politics and government...oh, yeah...school board members?
                        If the parents have some cash and even half a brain, it will be handled in a more reasonable manner. They'll sue the school district, get a big settlement and the principal will be transferred elsewhere to shut the parent's and their lawyers up.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Paddybhoy View Post
                          Little girl brings in bubble gun potentially leads to little children bringing in toy gun which potentially leads to more little children bringing in toy guns which potentially leads to one little child bringing a real gun to school.....
                          It all starts with mother's milk! We must stomp out any and all attempts of mothers who encourage their male children to abuse women!
                          Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                          Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                            It all starts with mother's milk! We must stomp out any and all attempts of mothers who encourage their male children to abuse women!
                            I think you have "mother's milk" confused with mother's hard right cross to the head!
                            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Keep in mind that these policies are often determined and voted upon by school boards, who are often parents, people who went through the school district, and retired members of the community. The reality is that Columbine is still a defining force in many of those decisions in Colorado, particularly in the Front Range. No one wants to be the next Columbine school.

                              Beyond that, the kid would have never remembered the event had her mom not made such a big deal of it. She's 5. A couple of years ago a 5-year old in this area brought a real gun to school. The school took the same stance, then threatened to send the kid to alternative school. It boggles my mind that kids don't know the difference between real and fake guns these days, but they don't. Until somewhere has a better way that's proven to reduce the number of guns in schools, I think this is the best course of action.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X