Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many Old Style Republicans plan not to vote this fall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many Old Style Republicans plan not to vote this fall?

I had lunch with some lady friends today. We all are in our 70s. Somehow the conversation turned to politics and I was startled to hear 3 of the 6 ladies at my end of the table say that they did not plan to vote at all in the general election because they are so revolted by the choices. My husband, “the Old Republican”, stated at a family gathering 2 weeks ago that he did not intend to vote either.

So what I am wondering is what are you guys hearing? Are you hearing turned off people saying the same thing? Just curious.

Among the Big Dogs, Lindsey Graham announced that he will not vote for either Trump or Clinton this fall.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/06/politi...nton-not-vote/
    Homo homini lupus

What is "an Old Style Republican" these days, Jannie?
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

^ He's been a Republican his whole life. I have argued with him in years past that the Republican Party now is not the Republican Party of his father. I think he is finally seeing the truth of that.
      Homo homini lupus

Comment

I might qualify.
        I dislike Trump but so long as Hillary is the dem candidate, he will have my vote.
        Trump may be awful, but Hillary is worse.
        Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by Jannie View Post
          Among the Big Dogs, Lindsey Graham announced that he will not vote for either Trump or Clinton this fall.
          Lindsey Graham?!
          C'mon, do I really need to say it?

And the same for Mutt Romney, the ex-speaker and all the rest of them.
          They may be able to broadcast their message into every home, but they are as tone-deaf as an aristocrat living in a bubble can possibly be. \

Maybe we ain't old enough, but I do know a few Conservatives and Libertarians. More than a few, surprise surprise, eh?
          Not a single on of them is planning to opt out, and none of them are all that upset that Trump is the rug of choice this year, most are ecstatic. But hey, this is the real world, something you don't see on TV.
          "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

One needs to be careful about not voting given that to do so will assure a Hillery victory which would complete the destruction of this country as we know it.

The far better solution, stop funding the RNC and all of its spinoff fund raising groups. Stuff those Business Return, pre paid Fed Ex, Priority mailers, other gimmick mailers, etc... with your complaints,

"Not another cent until your leadership stops behaving like Democrat Lite. That behavior is why Trump is now so far ahead of Cruz and other Conservative candidates that you refused to support."
            “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
              I might qualify.
              I dislike Trump but so long as Hillary is the dem candidate, he will have my vote.
              Trump may be awful, but Hillary is worse.
              Harpo Marx over Karl Marx... No brainer...
              Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

I had lunch with some lady friends today. We all are in our 70s. Somehow the conversation turned to politics and I was startled to hear 3 of the 6 ladies at my end of the table say that they did not plan to vote at all in the general election because they are so revolted by the choices. My husband, “the Old Republican”, stated at a family gathering 2 weeks ago that he did not intend to vote either.

So what I am wondering is what are you guys hearing? Are you hearing turned off people saying the same thing? Just curious.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/06/politi...nton-not-vote/
                Trump will carry South Carolina without Goober's vote.

There might be a few Republicans stupid enough to sit out this election because they detest The Donald... But, I have a hunch they will be more than offset by small-r republicans who detest politicians and bureaucrats.
                Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
                  One needs to be careful about not voting given that to do so will assure a Hillery victory which would complete the destruction of this country as we know it.

The far better solution, stop funding the RNC and all of its spinoff fund raising groups. Stuff those Business Return, pre paid Fed Ex, Priority mailers, other gimmick mailers, etc... with your complaints,

"Not another cent until your leadership stops behaving like Democrat Lite. That behavior is why Trump is now so far ahead of Cruz and other Conservative candidates that you refused to support."

BINGO!!!

Comment

^ He's been a Republican his whole life. I have argued with him in years past that the Republican Party now is not the Republican Party of his father. I think he is finally seeing the truth of that.
                    As if the Democratic party is?

My worst jump story:
                    My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                    As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                    No lie.

~
                    "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

And the democratic party isn't even what it was when Clinton was in office.
                      Details available on request.

So how can you still support the dem party?

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

I'm in my mid 50's so I don't know if I would qualify as "Old School". However I did like Ike, even though he was before my time.

I have voted for the Republican for president in every election since 1980 when I voted for Reagan.

I consider my self to be moderately conservative.

I find both Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Trump to be contemptible and below the dignity of the office of the president. So either way it will be a continuation of what we have had the past 8 years.

If Mrs. Clinton is elected it will continue the hard shift to the left that started in 2009.

Mr. Trump makes some noises about being fiscally conservative, enforcing immigration laws and being tough on terrorists.

In our current system a vote for third party is wasted. I wish we would require a candidate to get 50% +1 to get the electoral votes in a state. If they don't it would go to a run off of the top two.

So we are going to have as president in 2017 either:

1. A shrill leftist who will continue the shift to the left.

2. A loud, boorish, arrogant narcissist. Who may not be as bad as the option above.

So it is a choice between defiantly bad and may be bad.

So I'll vote for Trump reluctantly.

Of the people I know who vote Republican I would say about 25% are enthusiastic Trump supporters. 25%are luke warm supporters. 50% Hold their nose and vote for him. I haven't heard any one say they wont vote or would vote for Mrs. Clinton.
                        "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
                        Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Every Republican will turn out and vote in 2016.

If you are not there for your party and country when things are tough, you are not a Republican.

We have to stop Hillary. Seldom has there been so important a mission for the GOP.
                          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                            Every Republican will turn out and vote in 2016.

If you are not there for your party and country when things are tough, you are not a Republican.

We have to stop Hillary. Seldom has there been so important a mission for the GOP.
                            Agreed.
                            I agree with what 17th said above as well, and while I dislike Trump and question whether he is even conservative, he is our only chance to prevent further erosion of our rights.
                            We are already becoming more like "subjects" and less like "citizens", and Hillary will only accelerate that process. So long as there is a buck to be made in doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

I am a Democrat and feel the same way...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X