'Screw the next generation'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Screw the next generation'

'Screw the next generation' and 'Harry Reid's a pompous a**': Democratic congressman writes Anonymous tell-all book slamming 'nation of naive, self-absorbed sheep' as he admits he never reads bills he votes on

• 'My main job is to keep my job, to get reelected. It takes precedence over everything,' an anonymous member of Congress writes in a new book
    • 'Voters are incredibly ignorant and know little about our form of government and how it works,' he writes
    • 'It's far easier than you think to manipulate a nation of naive, self-absorbed sheep who crave instant gratification'
    • The author is a Democrat in Congress who laid out his complaints to a long-time friend and former Capitol Hill staffer who edited them into a book
    • 'The Confessions of Congressman X' will be released May 24 by a small Minnesota-based 'vanity press' publisher

By David Martosko, Us Political Editor For Dailymail.com
    Published: 07:36 EST, 12 May 2016 | Updated: 17:42 EST, 12 May 2016

A new book threatens to blow the lid off of Congress as a federal legislator's tell-all book lays out the worst parts of serving in the House of Representatives – saying that his main job is to raise money for re-election and that leaves little time for reading the bills he votes on.

Mill City Press, a small Minnesota-based 'vanity press' publisher describes 'The Confessions of Congressman X' as 'a devastating inside look at the dark side of Congress as revealed by one of its own.'
    'No wonder Congressman X wants to remain anonymous for fear of retribution. His admissions are deeply disturbing.'

The 84-page exposé is due in bookstores in two weeks, and Washington is abuzz with speculation about who may be behind it.

The book, a copy of which DailyMail.com has seen, discloses that the congressman is a Democrat – but not much else.
    The anonymous spleen-venter has had a lot to say about his constituents, however.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-votes-on.html
    Also
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016..._term=Firewire
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz
    Present Current Events are the Future's History

David...

Is the timing of this book significant? Or the fact that the author is described only as "a Democrat"?

Are the sentiments expressed in this book really new? In Australia, EVERYONE knows full well that politicians are self absorbed egomaniacs, more concerned with their own career and pensions than representing any of their constituents.

This sort of attitude will backfire severely if the wheels of capitalism ever fall off.

Is this anything new? Or just another method for Republicans to propagandize?
    My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
    GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
    Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

^ Didn't work out too well for a lot of Soviet politicians when communism's wheels fell of either.
      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post
        David...

Is the timing of this book significant? Or the fact that the author is described only as "a Democrat"?

Are the sentiments expressed in this book really new? In Australia, EVERYONE knows full well that politicians are self absorbed egomaniacs, more concerned with their own career and pensions than representing any of their constituents.

This sort of attitude will backfire severely if the wheels of capitalism ever fall off.

It's nothing new, we all "know" about it, are willing to condone it for our own purposes, are pretty much genuinely stupid as the "author" says, and you could just as easily swap the Republican moniker for the Democrat moniker, it'd be the same.
        Look at what that schmuck 'The Donald' is doing; and every libertarian proletariat is falling over their own feet to claim he's a populist hero. He's a good salesman which the suckers will eventually find out. Even some of his 17 Republican opponents are starting to fall in and claim they're just trying to keep "Republican" unity on the table. Crock of bull manure....

Comment

Like people needed a reason to not reelect that pompous a-hole....

Comment

Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post
            David...

Chris,

One could read the full article and come across something like this (and maybe a couple other non-partisan gems);

'The GOP have their crazy wingnuts, and we have our loony leftists. Screw them both. What we need are more common-sense lawmakers. Folks who see both sides of an issue. Who are open to accommodating each other's priorities. Today, both sides assume their views are the only logical ones.'

Comment

Whether it is a democrat or republican if you follow or have an abnormal obsession with Politics you would be inclined to believe it to be true. And not just the next generation but 2 or 3 more. 19 Trillion dollars in debt and no end of it in sight. Its now just a grab what you can and screw everybody else. Well we only have ourselves to blame. We have let them get away with it for years.

Comment

Originally posted by boomer400 View Post
                It's nothing new, we all "know" about it, are willing to condone it for our own purposes, are pretty much genuinely stupid as the "author" says, and you could just as easily swap the Republican moniker for the Democrat moniker, it'd be the same.
                Look at what that schmuck 'The Donald' is doing; and every libertarian proletariat is falling over their own feet to claim he's a populist hero. He's a good salesman which the suckers will eventually find out. Even some of his 17 Republican opponents are starting to fall in and claim they're just trying to keep "Republican" unity on the table. Crock of bull manure....
                So you're supporting Hillary?

As to the book, you can find similar claims dating back to the early 1800s, which is why it comes from a vanity press instead of a real publisher.

There are arguments the situation is better now than at any point in US history because thanks to modern communications and travel Congressmen can accomplish fund-raising quicker, and remain in better touch with the bills.

After all, wading through most bills if a staffer's job, with the Congressman reading a brief summary.

Not to mention that Party obligations dictate voting patterns on a majority of bills in any case.
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Business and politics as usual.

Comment

No kidding (Yawn).

How's about something new?

A dimocrat, eh? Maybe they ARE just a little worse than Repuglicans as it turns to "Just how dumb are they (voters)?"

The Dims DO tend to give voice to the real dummies in our society. (At least it seems that way.)

GG
                    "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

Comment

Let organized crime run the country. They'll stop all the BS and even show a healthy profit.

Comment

Just recently read that ALL of the elected Congressional pols in Washington are essentially required to fund-raise.

http://www.newsweek.com/why-do-congr...ving-us-357995

https://www.termlimits.org/congress-...sing-priority/

Since Congressmen cannot make fund-raising calls from their government provided offices they have to go to special “call-centers” to make their begging calls. How humiliating!
                        Rep. David Jolly: We sat behind closed doors at one of the party headquarter back rooms in front of a white board where the equation was drawn out. You have six months until the election. Break that down to having to raise $2 million in the next six months. And your job, new member of Congress, is to raise $18,000 a day. Your first responsibility is to make sure you hit $18,000 a day.

Norah O'Donnell: Your first responsibility--

Rep. David Jolly: My first responsibility--

Norah O'Donnell: --as a congressman?

Rep. David Jolly: --as a sitting member of Congress.
                        http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minut...telemarketers/

By the way the above politician is a Republican and he is rebelling against the forced fund-raising.

http://counton2.com/2016/04/24/congr...000-every-day/

My last two US Congressmen have used big joint phone calls with the constituents to take open questions from us. I often listen in to the calls for an hour or so when I get one of the phone calls. When the anonymous Congressman says that we constituents are naïve self-absorbed sheep I must agree. Some of the folks that I have heard are also some of the most brainless, idiotic people I have ever listened to. I am pretty sure that they are never permitted to make it on the phone-in radio shows or C-SPAN, etc. How the Representative can keep from laughing out loud I cannot imagine. I truthfully think that many are seniors with dementia.

My grandfather was a local politician and my father in law was also a local politician and the discourse in both households at least had some semblance of intelligence. One was a Democrat and one was a Republican, so the party made no difference. I am pretty sure that our political IQ has fallen significantly in the last 50 years.
                        Homo homini lupus

Comment

"A republic, if you can keep it."

Intended for an informed and involved citizenry.

We get the elected representatives that the majority of those whom bothered to cast a vote elected.

The few whom aren't career and have sought to serve for the common good are too often a minority among the rest whom have conned the voters and gained(been returned to) office.

Maybe we should do like jury selection, just randomly draw a name from the list of registered voters and "your it" for this term, congress-person. ???

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
                            Maybe we should do like jury selection, just randomly draw a name from the list of registered voters and "your it" for this term, congress-person. ???
                            I've seen jury selections. That is definitely not the solution for government.

One factor is that to be any good as a state or federal legislator you need education, and above all experience in the office.
                            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Rather than dream about an educated electorate, how about making a law that you cannot serve in elected office or vote if you are past 80. My sister recently suggested that since we moved Mom to my district to an assisted living facility that I get her registered to vote and make sure she does. She is 95 and has trouble remembering her daughters’ names much less remembering what political party she follows. It would be like me voting twice to take her to vote.
                              Homo homini lupus

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X