Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a complete change in campaign tone Trump’s best chance to ‘wrong- foot’ Clinton?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a complete change in campaign tone Trump’s best chance to ‘wrong- foot’ Clinton?

Would a complete change in campaign tone be Trump’s best chance to ‘wrong- foot’ Clinton

Trump I suspect may yet again completely confound the pundits (myself excepted of course).

Far from 2016 being the nastiest and dirtiest election in US history as many are predicting, I think Trump may choose to play a very different game (and get this straight…..to Trump it’s above all a game you know FUN!).
    He may choose to be as civil and serious as he can be (an affected cortex) while still retaining his essential (core) persona. Quite an ask but not I believe beyond his talents.

Trump had to be an all-out SOB to destroy the other GOP candidates because he understood how much the conventional Republican establishment and ‘politics as usual’ was hated by a good 40% of registered GOP voters.
    They had to go down in flames and look like easy meat.
    Why? ... Coz a good 40% of registered GOP voters thought they deserved it of course!

However with the ‘carcass of the Ted Cruz campaign being delivered to the knackers yard last week’ Trump has a clear run to decide how to ‘handle’ Clinton.

I kinda doubt he’s going to just focus on personal attacks.
    I think he has already hinted at a new approach with his victory speech after Cruz withdrew.
    Using words like love, cherish etc.

‘Make America Great Again’ sounded like the most banal, cringe-making, populist kind of …well… trumpery when he first revealed it.

But if he can sell it as making American great by making her feel good again (jobs, no cuts to welfare, ‘a new deal’ (hey there’s a catch phrase) with US allies and China etc.
    A ‘There, there, come to daddy Donald, I’m here to give you all a hug and everything is gonna be okay' approach.

What do posters think?

Regards lodestar

If he reverses his policy statements now he would be branded as the biggest flip flopper of them all and the question asked "can you trust what this man says he's going to do?" Not a sure fire way to win an election.
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
      If he reverses his policy statements now he would be branded as the biggest flip flopper of them all and the question asked "can you trust what this man says he's going to do?" Not a sure fire way to win an election.
      Huh! He flip flops sometimes on a daily basis, during his career he has probably been on each side of every issue (if one is paying attention), I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him with anything he says he will do, only his hardcore supporter will.
      But it really doesn't matter, he will go down in a landslide in the general election.

Comment

Trump not totally out of the picture yet

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
        Huh! He flip flops sometimes on a daily basis, during his career he has probably been on each side of every issue (if one is paying attention), I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him with anything he says he will do, only his hardcore supporter will.
        But it really doesn't matter, he will go down in a landslide in the general election.
        Don't be so sure.
        He started as a joke in the primaries remember.
        Six months is a long time in politics.

He has been called a massive phony for decades.
        He' still standing

Regards lodestar

Comment

I think Trump's best moments versus Hillary will come when the two are at some venue, like a debate, and Trump spins her up. Hillary, from what I can tell, is terrible off script.
          All Trump need do is get her mad about something and watch the "real" Hildabeast appear. That would be devastating to her.

I don't see where she can return the favor to Trump. He's already shown he's willing to talk off-the-cuff, go off script, and argue with opponents on those grounds. Hillary has never had to do that in her entire career. In the few moments in the past like the "What difference does it make" moment you can see a hint of what could potentially be her political demise on national television.

Comment

About the chances of Trump,who are,following certain AC generals inexistent,let's consult an impartial (or partial?) judge :mister Liberal Will Rahn (who eats only liberal sandwiches) from liberal CBS.

On april 28 he said some interesting things ,as

1 ) Yes ,Trump can beat Clinton

2 ) He has a narrow path to the White House

3 ) Trump may be the GOP's most electable option at this point at least among the candidates who are actually still running for the job .

4 ) Trump has a chance

Will the Donald win in november ? It's uncertain:we are at 6 months from election day and the campaign has yet to start .Everything can happen .But a Trump presidency is something one has to make allowance for and can not be excluded .

This will of course produce a lot of nightmares in a lot of bedrooms ,but as the tea drinkers are saying : a fact is stronger than a Lord Mayor .

Comment

What do I think?

GO DONALD TRUMP!

A breath of fresh air is most certainly what the American voter needs.
              Politicians 'flip-flop' most of the time.

What we should do to avoid this is to make campaign promises something that the various people in power actually have to stand by and make happen, not just by voting them out at the next election either.

Somehow, a law has to be passed that makes a campaign promise a legal obligation from the get go.

A law like that would quickly eliminate ALL the flummery from elections.

I would LOVE to see Donald make good his promise. It would benefit the western world to no end. Another area I would like to see him make progress is the attitude of the Great United States to RUSSIA.

Bringing this country in from the cold for the first time since 1917 is high on my wishlist. The Chinese are already looking at a new detente, so we should as well. We could get rid of quite a great deal of international tension with this policy alone.

The Middle East: Short of giving recognition to ISIS, theres really not much thats left to do outside of a battlefield. These terrorists are not interested in negotiation. Shut of the oil dollars and they have nothing left.

Time for a joint American-Russian-Chinese force to turn the clock back to 1944 and CO-OPERATE to destroy the power base of the Middle East.

A big war will provide plenty of jobs.

Hillary and Bill Clinton had their chance and blew it. Hillary's tenure as Secretary of State was disasterous.

Don't give the Clintons even four years, let alone four days, to stuff it up again.
              My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
              GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
              Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

My estimate based on observing the micro cosmos that is the ACG.

Of all those that opposed Obama, only roughly half support Trump, the other half hate him slightly less passionately than they hated Obama.

No one supports Clinton as no one supported Obama.

The ACG is completely unrepresentative of the US electorate at large.

Clinton will win comfortably.
                Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Game.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

The politics of posters

[QUOTE=Snowygerry;3213055]

Yep pretty spot-on.
                  Lot of liberals and moderates out their folks. Most, if they vote will vote for the Dems.
                  The Forum, at least so far as the North America sub-Forum goes, is heavily burdened, with posters of right-of-center, conservative, militaristic, irrationally anti-progressive and sadly, in some cases on some issues reactionary bent.
                  However, having said that....some of these folks are pretty damn good at presenting their case and agenda.

The other regional sub-forums and the actual history sub-forums are more balanced.

Detested in some quarters though she may, she probably will and given the atrocious nature of the GOP field (with the exception of Trump himself whom I find absolutely hilarious and captivating) the best choice for the country.

Well gotta go now, I'm expecting a call from a UC Berkeley, liberal arts/social sciences professor about what approach I need to take with students.

Gonna tell her what was fine in the '70s will do just fine today:

"lodestar has no interest in 'challenging' students, only in crushing their life spirit, turning their belief system inside out, wrecking their chances for a happy future and ensuring they emerge from the 'lodestar experience' with a pathological loathing for their parents, their society, their nation and the whole crackpot, degenerate, worthless and sick 'Western Canon.'"

(just kiddin' fellas and gals just kiddin!)

Regards lodestar

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

Of all those that opposed Obama, only roughly half support Trump, the other half hate him slightly less passionately than they hated Obama.

Whilst one shouldn't really refer to "the xxxx vote" as everyone is an individual it does make a good generalisation. Given that as Trump appears to have peed off the Latino vote, the Women's vote and the Black vote for starters and that he's not going to swing too many male white Democrats his way I'd think that he may have a big hill to climb
                    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

There you are wrong. Hillary lost to Bobo in 2008. She has never run a successful national campaign.

I'm not saying she cannot win, but at this point to suggest that she will win comfortably has no basis for argument.

Firstly, it is still the primaries-partisan politics is still aflame. When the dust settles, the GOP will rally around Trump as the game switches from internal to external.

Next we have the ticket issue: who will be the running mates? The decision will have a large impact upon the campaign, as voters choose a package, not a candidate.

Democrats do not often follow each other; LBJ did because of Oswald, and in the fifty years since no Democrat has followed another. Without considering a candidate the GOP has the edge in taking the White House this go-round.

Hillary is saddled with Bobo. Anything stupid he does or says will be baggage she has to tote, and Bobo is not a team player.

Hillary is old, sick, and worn in appearance. She has won a single district election in her entire career, and she lost a primary bid eight years ago.

You are missing a great deal of the nuances of US politics, and in particular that winning the primary is simply the right to step up to the start light. When the primaries are complete, the campaign begins.
                      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

The A-Hole cannot change his tone no more than a POS can become anything else but a POS.
                        Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                          Not to mention that Trump managed to insult and anger women, African Americans, Hispanics, Muslims, and a sizeable percentage of his fellow Republicans and that they are unlikely to forget it either.
                          Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                          Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

He is going to have to change some elements of his campaign style if he is to win the general election.
                            War is less costly than servitude

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
                              Not to mention that Trump managed to insult and anger women, African Americans, Hispanics, Muslims, and a sizeable percentage of his fellow Republicans and that they are unlikely to forget it either.
                              Oddly, that 'sizeable percentage' didn't stop him from winning the primary.

Lots of whistling past the graveyard.

The key he has is that he is not Hillary. In the end, that is his best selling point.
                              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X