Incredible story of Russian sleeper spies in USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incredible story of Russian sleeper spies in USA

The Guardian published this story today about some Communist Sleeper spies who were sent to Canada to establish North American Identities, took on identities of dead Canadians, had kids who grew up in Canada (and knew nothing about their parent's spying). Moved to the States (Boston), were reactivated as spies by Putin. In Boston they were caught by the FBI and exchanged with Russia. The kids were stripped of their Canadian citizenship and also sent to Russia. The kids dislike living in Russia, are distant from their parents, and have been trying ever since to regain their Canadian citizenship.

theguardian.com: The day we discovered-our-parents-were-russian-spies

The kids are innocent victims they were raised here so they should be able to stay if they want to.

Comment

Originally posted by VinceW View Post
      The kids are innocent victims they were raised here so they should be able to stay if they want to.
      In the article the only exception to getting Canadian Citizenship if you are born in Canada is if your parents are foreign government employees.

In 2010 they were re-named by the Russians; " Tim and Alex were given Russian passports at the end of December 2010; suddenly, they became Timofei and Alexander Vavilov. The names were “completely new, foreign and unpronounceable for us”, Tim says."

Comment

How I caught the story was that it was tweeted by Gerald Butts, the PM's Chief of Staff, so I expect the Canadian government will do something about the situation now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
          How I caught the story was that it was tweeted by Gerald Butts, the PM's Chief of Staff, so I expect the Canadian government will do something about the situation now.
          They should considering how long kids in that situation have lived here.

Comment

Seems harsh to punish the kids for the parents crime.
            Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post
              Seems harsh to punish the kids for the parents crime.
              So white people are finally off the hook for the past five hundred years?
              Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
              Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                So white people are finally off the hook for the past five hundred years?
                Text deleted by ACG Staff

As for the specifics of your post, if you can show me examples of white people being stripped of their citizenship for 'the past 500 years' (whatever that means - I'm loathe to try to get inside your head) then provide details & I'll be the first to condemn. In fact, I'd love to see details of someone whose parents are actually responsible for 'the past 500 years'. They would be a true wonder of biology. You do know that people rarely live past 100, don't you? (really, you do know, yes?)

Please refrain from ad hominem attacks.
                Last edited by Salinator; 08 May 16, 02:45.
                Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

This is no surprise.

The Americans is into its third season.

I find the Canadian involvement in cloning to be far more serious.
                  Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                    This is no surprise.

The Americans is into its third season.

I find the Canadian involvement in cloning to be far more serious.
                    The connection is quoted in the article:

If Tim and Alex’s story sounds eerily familiar to fans of The Americans, the television drama about a KGB couple living in the US with their two children, that’s because it’s partly based on them. The show is set in the 1980s, providing a cold war backdrop, but the 2010 spy round-up served as an inspiration. The show’s creator, Joe Weisberg, trained to be a CIA case officer in the early 1990s and, when I speak to him on the phone, tells me he always wanted to put family at the heart of the plot. “One of the interesting things I saw when I worked at the CIA was people lying to their children. If you have young children, you can’t tell them you work for the CIA. And then, at some point, you have to pick an age and a time, and they find out that they’ve been lied to for most of their lives. It’s a difficult moment.”

Comment

And indeed it's a theme that has been expressed in other places. Graham Greene has alluded to the issue and there was a BBC TV play in the 60s that did so also. It seems that the Canadian incident is a case as Wilde would put it of "life imitating art"
                      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

I'm not so sure about that, according to the FBI, Tim was being groomed as a second generation Russian spy. This from a 2012 Globe and Mail article so who knows.

“His parents revealed their double life to him well before their arrest, according to current and former officials, whose knowledge of the discussion was based on surveillance by the Federal Bureau of Investigation that included bugging suspects’ homes,” reporter Devlin Barrett wrote in WSJ.

“The officials said the parents also told their son they wanted him to follow in their footsteps. He agreed, said the officials. At the end of the discussion with his parents, according to one person familiar with the surveillance, the young man stood up and saluted ‘Mother Russia.’ He also agreed to travel to Russia to begin formal espionage training, officials said.”

The paper was unable to find evidence indicating whether the young man, who is said now to be in Russia, actually pursued the training. And a lawyer who had represented Mr. Heathfield dismissed the report in strong terms.

Peter Krupp said it would have been too risky for the parents to reveal the operation to their son. He called the account given to the paper “crap.”
                        theglobeandmail.com_Russian Spies with-canadian-links-were-prepping-son-for-espionage-report

Comment

Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
                          I'm not so sure about that, according to the FBI, Tim was being groomed as a second generation Russian spy. This from a 2012 Globe and Mail article so who knows.

theglobeandmail.com_Russian Spies with-canadian-links-were-prepping-son-for-espionage-report
                          If that's the case then kick him out.

Comment

If that's the case then kick him out.
                            He's not in, he isn't permitted.

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post

As for the specifics of your post, if you can show me examples of white people being stripped of their citizenship for 'the past 500 years' (whatever that means - I'm loathe to try to get inside your head) then provide details & I'll be the first to condemn. In fact, I'd love to see details of someone whose parents are actually responsible for 'the past 500 years'. They would be a true wonder of biology. You do know that people rarely live past 100, don't you? (really, you do know, yes?)

Please refrain from ad hominem attacks.
                              You are a bit touchy. The sins of the father should not be inherited.
                              Please have a wonderful day.
                              Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                              Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X