Americans renouncing citizenship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    True. I think the current terror situation has made holding a US passport as an ex-pat a lot less appealing for people who have moved to certain places in the world.
    Those that move and give up their passport still need one from some country. They still look Western and even Afro Americans look different than most Africans. Changing the rapper hardly helps to hide whats inside.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
      The US tax system is particularly harsh on Americans living overseas. Only limited double taxation relief is available meaning that an American living and working in the Uk for example could end up paying tax to both the UK and US on the same income. US tax would be liable on the totality of his income. In contrast a UK (and for that matter almost every other nationality) citizen living and working in the US would only pay uk tax on income earned in the uk, not what they earned in the US.

http://world.time.com/2013/01/31/mis...-citizenships/
      That isn't true. While in the US you can not work legally without filling out the federal and state tax forms for tax deductions. It makes sense to pay taxes in the country where you physically work because you are using their services, and taking away someone else job that would contribute.
      My worst jump story:
      My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
      As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
      No lie.

~
      "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
        Those that move and give up their passport still need one from some country. They still look Western and even Afro Americans look different than most Africans. Changing the rapper hardly helps to hide whats inside.
        How do they look different?
        My worst jump story:
        No lie.

~
        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
          That isn't true. While in the US you can not work legally without filling out the federal and state tax forms for tax deductions. It makes sense to pay taxes in the country where you physically work because you are using their services, and taking away someone else job that would contribute.
          I think you misread Surrey's post In such a case the guy would pay UK tax on what he earned in the UK and US tax on what he earned in the USA He would only pay UK tax on what he earned in the UK which is what the post said. The problem for a US citizen working in the UK is that he could end up paying both UK and US tax on the same earnings
          Last edited by MarkV; 07 May 16, 08:04.
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
            There have been times in certain parts of the world when having a passport other than American (and sometimes British) has been useful. I have known Americans who held both US and Irish passports (possible if you have a parent or Grandparent born on the island of Ireland) The Irish passport is often regarded as "neutral" whereas the other two may not. I hold a British passport but am also entitled to an Irish one and have been tempted for convenience sometimes. Colleagues whose work took them to both Arab countries and Israel used to have two passports to avoid visa problems (many Arab countries would refuse entry if you presented a passport that already had an Israeli visa in it).

Many people have two passports because of dual citizenship through marriage. One of my Aunts who married an American working and living in France had both British and American passports - the latter came in rather useful in 1940 however these days some countries are beginning to look a bit askance on dual nationality and putting pressure on those who have it to choose one or the other. I can well imagine that an American married to someone of a different nationality and living in that country, possibly with children might choose to plump for their spouses nationality if pushed to choose.
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
              I think you misread Surrey's post In such a case the guy would pay UK tax on what he earned in the UK and US tax on what he earned in the USA He would only pay UK tax on what he earned in the UK which is what the post said. The problem for a US citizen working in the UK is that he could end up paying both UK and US tax on the same earnings
              And depending on the job and length of stay there are exceptions.
              My worst jump story:
              No lie.

~
              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

There have been times in certain parts of the world when having a passport other than American (and sometimes British) has been useful. I have known Americans who held both US and Irish passports (possible if you have a parent or Grandparent born on the island of Ireland) The Irish passport is often regarded as "neutral" whereas the other two may not. I hold a British passport but am also entitled to an Irish one and have been tempted for convenience sometimes. Colleagues whose work took them to both Arab countries and Israel used to have two passports to avoid visa problems (many Arab countries would refuse entry if you presented a passport that already had an Israeli visa in it).

Many people have two passports because of dual citizenship through marriage. One of my Aunts who married an American working and living in France had both British and American passports - the latter came in rather useful in 1940 however these days some countries are beginning to look a bit askance on dual nationality and putting pressure on those who have it to choose one or the other. I can well imagine that an American married to someone of a different nationality and living in that country, possibly with children might choose to plump for their spouses nationality if pushed to choose.
                It doesn't always work that way. If you have a passport from another country it usually requires that you become a citizen of that country not just a passport holder. Depending on the country the requirement for citizenship can be very easy to near impossible. Also, the US doesn't agree with dual citizenship for the most part, while other countries don't care.
                My worst jump story:
                No lie.

~
                -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

It doesn't always work that way. If you have a passport from another country it usually requires that you become a citizen of that country not just a passport holder. Depending on the country the requirement for citizenship can be very easy to near impossible. Also, the US doesn't agree with dual citizenship for the most part, while other countries don't care.
                  In many countries marriage to a citizen confers citizenship, even in the UK although this is being tightened up. In any case I think you have failed to understand the contents of my post.

Comment

And depending on the job and length of stay there are exceptions.
                    But as has already been pointed out in earlier posts not complete exemptions

Comment

There are many stories here in Canada where people were born to Canadian parents in the US but lived almost all their life in Canada and have only just discovered they are US citizens. Toronto has been described as the "Renonciation Capital of the World" Here is an example of one such person, an Ontario doctor:

Bob, a 79-year-old retired Ontario doctor who took his renunciation oath in December, estimated that he’s spent $50,000 (Canadian) to $60,000 in U.S. taxes and fees to lawyers and accountants. Mistakes made by a lawyer on his original application dragged out the process for more than two years.

Born in the United States to Canadian parents, he left as an infant and lived his entire life in Canada, unaware until recently that he was still an American. “It’s been a long, expensive and distressing situation,” Bob said, unwilling to identify himself because he has an adult child who is still an American.
                      The full article is here

globeandmail-delays-costs-mount-for-canadians-renouncing-us-citizenship/

Comment

There was a similar case over here - the guy only found out because he wanted a passport to visit relatives abroad, applied to for a copy of his birth certificate and discovered that he wasn't British and technically liable to be deported.

Comment

There was a similar case over here - the guy only found out because he wanted a passport to visit relatives abroad, applied to for a copy of his birth certificate and discovered that he wasn't British and technically liable to be deported.
                          Yes, but in the case I mentioned there is no doubt about his Canadian citizenship. Most of the large numbers renouncing US citizenship here are dual Canadian American citizens and they are doing so because of the recent changes in money laundering laws that require Canadian authorities, and even banks to report on US citizens.
                          Last edited by Sparlingo; 07 May 16, 11:14.

Comment

Since we make no effort to regulate the millions who annually enter America both legally and illegally, we have little right to criticize Americans who want to leave. Right of domicile is on of our guaranteed rights.

And if corporations can move billions of dollars in corporate assets offshore to avoid taxes, then citizens can move too.

Many Americans are started to wonder what, exactly, their taxes actually get them, beyond supporting and endlessly growing list of welfare programs and foreign aid handouts. All Americans should be wondering the same thing, because we know our taxes are not going into maintaining our nation in any meaningful way.
                            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

A lot easier for Ted Cruz to renounce Canadian citizenship

For an American to renounce citizenship they need to bring all their tax returns up to date and pay $4,500.00 bucks.

It was a lot easier for TED to renounce Canadian Citizenship, he had to pay 100 bucks fill out a form and meet these requirements:

you must:

* be a Canadian citizen;
                              * prove that you are or that you will become a citizen of a country other than Canada if your application to renounce is approved;
                              *not live in Canada;
                              *be at least 18 years old;
                              *not be a threat to Canada’s security or part of a pattern of criminal activity; and
                              *understand the significance of renouncing your Canadian citizenship.

Comment

My point was that a uk citizen legally working and resident in the us would pay us taxes on the income earned in the us. But he would not then be further taxed on his us income by the uk.

In contrast a us citizen legally working and resident in the uk would be taxed on his uk income by the uk but in addition if he earned more than $97k in the uk (I can't quite remember the number but thereabouts) he would be subject to further us tax on his uk income. Thus he would be subject to double taxation on the same income. There was an American as army type in the office who used to whinge about it.
                                Last edited by Surrey; 07 May 16, 12:00.
                                "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X