Americans renouncing citizenship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Americans renouncing citizenship

Americans are renouncing their citizenship. Should they be allowed to reapply for citizenship after they have renounced it? IMO you be gone, stay gone MOFO!!
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwo.../#124b435d2b66

Seems to have been a large increase since 2009.

I wonder why?

2008 - 231
    2015 - 4,279

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/08/news...-renunciation/

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikeye View Post
      Americans are renouncing their citizenship. Should they be allowed to reapply for citizenship after they have renounced it? IMO you be gone, stay gone MOFO!!
      Renouncing citizenship for money is one thing especially if millions are involved, renouncing it for who is elected president is another, it's pure BS, I seem to remember several Hollywood types that said that they would leave this country if baby Bush was re-elected, guess what, they are still here, renounce you citizenship, pay 500.000 to get it reinstated, how's that.
      my two cents!
      Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by rkohut View Post
        Seems to have been a large increase since 2009.

I wonder why?

2008 - 231
        2015 - 4,279

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/08/news...-renunciation/
        Simple, tax law changes and banking law changes. Not that hard really.
        “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
        “To talk of many things:
        Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
        Of cabbages—and kings—
        And why the sea is boiling hot—
        And whether pigs have wings.”
        ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

It should be a one way street. Anyone who renounces their citizenship should have to re-apply like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
            Renouncing citizenship for money is one thing especially if millions are involved, renouncing it for who is elected president is another, it's pure BS, I seem to remember several Hollywood types that said that they would leave this country if baby Bush was re-elected, guess what, they are still here, renounce you citizenship, pay 500.000 to get it reinstated, how's that.
            my two cents!
            I don't care if people renounce their citizenship but it's the pity party that goes with it like they are escaping a totalitarian government and escaping to freedom that makes me facepalm. As for the Hollywood celebrities claiming that they would move out of the U.S. if Bush was re-elected even if they followed through on it they would still be making movies in the U.S. and the taxes would go to our government.
            “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
            ― Groucho Marx

Comment

They should pay a heavy price should they change their minds later, and want to return, and go through the regular immigration procedures as anyone else trying to get in.

After lots of travel overseas, they will find out the hard way what a s**thole some of those places are.
              Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years...

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                Simple, tax law changes and banking law changes. Not that hard really.
                Simple, under Obama, each year saw a rise in people not wanting to be Americans any longer except for 2012 when there was hope that the goofball might be voted out of office.
                Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikeye View Post
                  My worst jump story:
                  My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                  As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                  No lie.

~
                  "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                  -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                    Simple, under Obama, each year saw a rise in people not wanting to be Americans any longer except for 2012 when there was hope that the goofball might be voted out of office.
                    Go figure...
                    Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years...

Comment

The US tax system is particularly harsh on Americans living overseas. Only limited double taxation relief is available meaning that an American living and working in the Uk for example could end up paying tax to both the UK and US on the same income. US tax would be liable on the totality of his income. In contrast a UK (and for that matter almost every other nationality) citizen living and working in the US would only pay uk tax on income earned in the uk, not what they earned in the US.

http://world.time.com/2013/01/31/mis...-citizenships/
                      "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Its is, as noted, mainly for tax reasons. People of a certain income can move to various places, become citizens, and enjoy a minimal tax burden.

The people are not the issue, its the millions of dollars of capitol leaving the USA that should be of concern.
                        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                          Its is, as noted, mainly for tax reasons. People of a certain income can move to various places, become citizens, and enjoy a minimal tax burden.

The people are not the issue, its the millions of dollars of capitol leaving the USA that should be of concern.
                          Its also ordinary people who might have moved permanently to another nation but kept US citizenship. Suddenly they find Uncle Sam trying to nab some of their income, so they ditch a citizenship that no longer reflects their circumstances.

People who migrate often retain citizenship for sentimental reasons or because the passport comes in handy. Make is a serious financial liability & they might re-think its value.
                          Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post
                            Its also ordinary people who might have moved permanently to another nation but kept US citizenship. Suddenly they find Uncle Sam trying to nab some of their income, so they ditch a citizenship that no longer reflects their circumstances.

People who migrate often retain citizenship for sentimental reasons or because the passport comes in handy. Make is a serious financial liability & they might re-think its value.
                            True. I think the current terror situation has made holding a US passport as an ex-pat a lot less appealing for people who have moved to certain places in the world.
                            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                              True. I think the current terror situation has made holding a US passport as an ex-pat a lot less appealing for people who have moved to certain places in the world.
                              Yes, I imagine so. That said, in many of those areas it might not be that easy to obtain citizenship or you just might not want to unless its a country you have some close ties to. I'm betting most people from affluent Western nations prefer to have a passport from a similar nation.

On the tax issue I would make a distinction between people who are clearly trying to dodge tax & those who are just domiciled in another nation. Seems a bit harsh on ordinary folk for mine, but I guess that's up to 'Muricans.
                              Last edited by BF69; 07 May 16, 05:41.
                              Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X