The Way We Used To Be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Way We Used To Be

America used to concern itself with protecting its women and children. Now we worry about the feelings of a few men who want to wear wigs and dresses.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    America used to concern itself with protecting its women and children. Now we worry about the feelings of a few men who want to wear wigs and dresses.

Yeah.... but now the women are equal and the kids are running drugs because they won't get as hard a fall if they get caught.

Ain't progress wonderful?

GG
    "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

Comment

I don't know. I haven't seen any for so long I don't remember what it looks like.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

We are also worried about hurting the feelings of the men who rape those women and can't call them "felons" any more.
        Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Food for thought; the way we used to be is what allowed us to become what we are.
          "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
            Food for thought; the way we used to be is what allowed us to become what we are.
            something like that. so we haven't learnt shhit about history. Some of the Good ole Days values need to catch up with us once more and be applied. Woman should be ladies and men gentlemen. Woman from nature have a primary goal and that is to nurture the children and not try to balance a career with raising the children. A father should be more than a sperm donor.
            If you don't have the money to buy something that you NEED then save for it. Credit is a down hill ride and nothing is free, somebody has to pay for it. Welfare is for those that really need it for a short time and not a life style. None of this ye babe we need to make another kid so we can afford that Cadillac. We are rotting from the inside out.
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

"Ward the 1950's are on the Phone!"

"Thanks Dear, I'll take it in the Den... Bring me a drink after you hang up."
              “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
              “To talk of many things:
              Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
              Of cabbages—and kings—
              And why the sea is boiling hot—
              And whether pigs have wings.”
              ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Yeah, back in the good old days when colored people 'knew their place', pedophiles were ignored, and it was legal to beat your wife within an inch of her life.

When you could put lead in paint, make flammable baby beds, and lock people up in conditions worse than prison because they were mentally ill.

What a halcyon age, provided you were a abusive perverted white guy.

Today's far from perfect, but I'm not interested in seeing those aspects and American life return.
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                  Yeah, back in the good old days when colored people 'knew their place', pedophiles were ignored, and it was legal to beat your wife within an inch of her life.

When you could put lead in paint, make flammable baby beds, and lock people up in conditions worse than prison because they were mentally ill.

Today's far from perfect, but I'm not interested in seeing those aspects and American life return.
                  “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                  “To talk of many things:
                  Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                  Of cabbages—and kings—
                  And why the sea is boiling hot—
                  And whether pigs have wings.”
                  ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

I will say this in defense of nostalgia. MM isn't talking about bringing racism and lead paint back. He's talking about very specific cultural aspects. I understand the "good old days" had plenty of bad but it's a matter of separating the wheat from the chaff. I totally agree we need to bring back the family values of the fifties and sixties. I'm fine with leaving the racism in the dumpster next to the tie die shirts and beatnik poetry.

Think of it as a cultural yard sale. Buy the nice lawnmower and leave the warped Tupperware. It's not all or nothing.
                    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

When exactly was this wonderful time when woman and kids were protected?
                      "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
                      G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
                      Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

Great post.

Definitely far from perfect. Problem is, we're moving too far in a strange direction.

We have safe zones for hurt feelings.

We consider the rights of the few to be greater than that of the majority.

Concerning mental illness, we've gone from one extreme to the other. Again, no middle ground. We've gone from Wildwood to wandering the streets.
                        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                          something like that. so we haven't learnt shhit about history. Some of the Good ole Days values need to catch up with us once more and be applied. Woman should be ladies and men gentlemen. Woman from nature have a primary goal and that is to nurture the children and not try to balance a career with raising the children. A father should be more than a sperm donor.
                          If you don't have the money to buy something that you NEED then save for it. Credit is a down hill ride and nothing is free, somebody has to pay for it. Welfare is for those that really need it for a short time and not a life style. None of this ye babe we need to make another kid so we can afford that Cadillac. We are rotting from the inside out.
                          Bravo,John.

(Plus one when permitted).
                          "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                          Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                            Great post.

Definitely far from perfect. Problem is, we're moving too far in a strange direction.

We have safe zones for hurt feelings.

We consider the rights of the few to be greater than that of the majority.

Concerning mental illness, we've gone from one extreme to the other. Again, no middle ground. We've gone from Wildwood to wandering the streets.
                            True as well.
                            A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Well said. My first thought when I read the OP was for women & children, members of my own family included, who endured years of physical abuse from their husbands & fathers because they knew there was nothing they could do about it.

Then there were all those kids who went to their parents, teachers, priests & even the police to report abuse & were fobbed off or worse.

So much for 'protection'.

Those things still go on, but we put a great deal of effort into prevention & punishment that was simply unheard of in the 'good old days'.
                              Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X