Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No longer "felon," "convict," or "offender"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Well. PC shall require me to make a few adjustments.

    My paternal grandfather was a "Racetrack Statistician Investment Specialist".

    I have a distant cousin by the name of Charles Arthur Floyd who was an "Asset Stronghold Resource Adjuster".

    In the Revolutionary War I had a family member who was a "German Martial Counterinsurgency Contractor".

    While we're at it, think the libs will mind if we flip some terms. I think "Indigenous Population Relocation" and "Human Resources Management" would fit nicely into our narrative on Native Americans and slavery. Think they'll go for it?
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

    Comment


    • #47
      I made my 6 in four and reelisred into another MOS where I was stuck at 6 for nine years. I was all but ordered to go to OCS, but couldn't even consider being a Butter Bar 2Lt. At about my 18th year our MOS opened up for direct promotion to Warrent which I turned down, wanting to remain hands on with the troops. Looking back I'm not sure if they were good decisions or not. The retirement pay of being a Warrent or Commissed is better than that of E8.

      Next time around I might decide other wise, but I doubt it.
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

      Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

      you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
        I made my 6 in four and reelisred into another MOS where I was stuck at 6 for nine years. I was all but ordered to go to OCS, but couldn't even consider being a Butter Bar 2Lt. At about my 18th year our MOS opened up for direct promotion to Warrent which I turned down, wanting to remain hands on with the troops. Looking back I'm not sure if they were good decisions or not. The retirement pay of being a Warrent or Commissed is better than that of E8.

        Next time around I might decide other wise, but I doubt it.
        Retirement is a major factor for me. I'm not planning on settling down with anyone, and I've prioritized having a comfortable retirement with travel for the later years.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
          Retirement is a major factor for me. I'm not planning on settling down with anyone, and I've prioritized having a comfortable retirement with travel for the later years.
          I've retired twice, and I'm doing my best to enjoy it!

          Pax is retiring in two months, and we will then fire up the truck, provision the travel trailer, and move 'em out!
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
            Well. PC shall require me to make a few adjustments.

            My paternal grandfather was a "Racetrack Statistician Investment Specialist".

            I have a distant cousin by the name of Charles Arthur Floyd who was an "Asset Stronghold Resource Adjuster".

            In the Revolutionary War I had a family member who was a "German Martial Counterinsurgency Contractor".

            While we're at it, think the libs will mind if we flip some terms. I think "Indigenous Population Relocation" and "Human Resources Management" would fit nicely into our narrative on Native Americans and slavery. Think they'll go for it?
            I think they'll have to. It's the PC thing to do. Not allowed to call us "Whitey" anymore, either. Melanin challenged, if you please. Better yet, European immigrants.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              I've retired twice, and I'm doing my best to enjoy it!

              Pax is retiring in two months, and we will then fire up the truck, provision the travel trailer, and move 'em out!
              So I can expect your travel trailer at my place at some point this summer?

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                Well. PC shall require me to make a few adjustments.

                My paternal grandfather was a "Racetrack Statistician Investment Specialist".

                I have a distant cousin by the name of Charles Arthur Floyd who was an "Asset Stronghold Resource Adjuster".

                In the Revolutionary War I had a family member who was a "German Martial Counterinsurgency Contractor".

                While we're at it, think the libs will mind if we flip some terms. I think "Indigenous Population Relocation" and "Human Resources Management" would fit nicely into our narrative on Native Americans and slavery. Think they'll go for it?
                PC began over thirty years ago. It just took a long time to realize what was happening.

                One of my high school friends worked part time at a gas station. He advocated for a title change for his position that was "less demeaning". He went from "Pump Attendant" to "Fuel Transfer Technician". Talk about putting lipstick on a pig! Funny thing is that his job was eliminated when California no longer required an attendant to be on hand to pump gas. I can only imagine the laughter of those reading his job application/resume when they see "Fuel Transfer Technician" as his previous job experience.

                Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                I've retired twice, and I'm doing my best to enjoy it!

                Pax is retiring in two months, and we will then fire up the truck, provision the travel trailer, and move 'em out!
                What about the pets? Are you going to send them over to Bwaha's Pet Boarding Camp?
                Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

                Prayers.

                BoRG

                http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

                Comment


                • #53
                  Biodegradable Fertilizer Specialist.


                  What is the NON PC word?
                  "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                  Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                  you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                    PC began over thirty years ago. It just took a long time to realize what was happening.

                    One of my high school friends worked part time at a gas station. He advocated for a title change for his position that was "less demeaning". He went from "Pump Attendant" to "Fuel Transfer Technician". Talk about putting lipstick on a pig! Funny thing is that his job was eliminated when California no longer required an attendant to be on hand to pump gas. I can only imagine the laughter of those reading his job application/resume when they see "Fuel Transfer Technician" as his previous job experience.
                    Long before then. Over here Rat Catchers became Rodent Control Officers in the late 60s At about the same time Dust Bin Men (Garbage Collectors) began to metamorphise into Environmental Cleansing Operatives or similar silly titles. In the 80s I heard a colleague from the Boston office describe something as being "negatively career enhancing". Perhaps it all comes from George Orwell's newspeak in 1984 "Double plus ungood" = very bad.
                    However it is not even 20th century in origin but 18th century when the labourers who dug the first canals in Britain stopped being called labourers and were referred to as "Navigational Engineers" which became Navigators and then Navvies. And some daft 'aporf called those convicts being transported to Australia "involuntary emigrants"
                    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      In fact I discover that rat catcher was replaced as ealry as 1944 by Westminster council
                      Other examples are
                      • Barmaid = victualler's assistant
                      • Chinney sweep = flueologist
                      • Office messenger = despatch room facilitator
                      • Shelf stacker = ambient replenishment assistant
                      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        One of the challenges in education is making sure you use the right title as to ensure you don't offend the people who actually make things happen, or not happen, on campus:

                        * Para, not teacher's aide
                        * Custodian, not janitor
                        * Cook-Cashier, not lunch lady
                        * Still torn: I think its okay to say secretary instead of administrative assistant

                        Oddly enough, students are still students and teachers are still teachers. I'm okay with that.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          And when did school premises become campuses? which used to be restricted to universities?. We still have dinner ladies (for many dinner is still what you eat in the middle of the day -it's tea and/or supper in the evening)

                          Pupils here no longer fail exams they are unclassified. Fail is another F word
                          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                            And when did school premises become campuses? which used to be restricted to universities?. We still have dinner ladies (for many dinner is still what you eat in the middle of the day -it's tea and/or supper in the evening)

                            Pupils here no longer fail exams they are unclassified. Fail is another F word
                            I wonder if k-12 schools started using 'campus' when we started having to define the entire property of the school for possession of drugs/weapons, strangers/potential threats on campus, and enforcing trespass charges on individuals who were blocked from campus.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              This is a matter when size counts. Many American High Schools have 1to 3 thousand students along with the sport fields.only guessing but that is bigger in area than some universitys in other countries.
                              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                              Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                              you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
                                So I can expect your travel trailer at my place at some point this summer?
                                Sounds like a plan.
                                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                • casanova
                                  Beirut
                                  by casanova
                                  Gigantic explosion in the city of Beirut. 70 people were killed and 2750 men were heavy hurted. The explosion was like atomic bomb. The cause of that...
                                  Today, 00:47
                                • casanova
                                  Nuclear battleheads.
                                  by casanova
                                  A secret UNO report declares, that North Korea owns already nuclear battleheads for tactical rockets....
                                  Yesterday, 23:58
                                • casanova
                                  German Navy
                                  by casanova
                                  250 german marines are going to the mediterianian sea by the German frigate Hamburg to watch the weaponembargo against Libya. It's a EU military mis...
                                  Yesterday, 23:48
                                Working...
                                X