X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The lawlessness of the Maobama Maladministration: MOX Edition

Ex-Sen. Lugar says MOX facility vital to nuke agreement

By MEG KINNARD - Associated Press - Thursday, February 4, 2016

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - Finishing a South Carolina plutonium reprocessing project is critical to keeping up the U.S. end of a critical nonproliferation deal with Russia, one of the federal lawmakers instrumental in the agreement said Thursday after touring the facility that’s still under construction.

“This facility here in South Carolina is about 70 percent completed, and it’s absolutely vital to the safety of the United States of America, as well as the rest of the world, that we complete it,” former U.S. Sen. Richard Lugar, R-Indiana, told The Associated Press.

Not finishing it, Lugar warned, “gives the Russians an opportunity really to back out of the project.”

[...]

But the project is years behind schedule and billions over its original budget. Last week, Gov. Nikki Haley told South Carolina’s attorney general that she wants to sue the U.S. Department of Energy for the agency’s failure to meet completion deadlines.

Because MOX isn’t operating, by law the federal government was supposed to remove 1 metric ton of plutonium from South Carolina by Jan. 1 or pay $1 million a day for “economic and impact assistance” - up to $100 million yearly - until either the facility meets production goals or the plutonium is taken elsewhere for storage or disposal.

Haley warned Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz in December that the state would be forced to sue if his agency didn’t start making payments. A clause in the law, however, makes the fine “subject to the availability of appropriations.”

[...]

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...to-nuke-agree/

What could be better than the Maobama Maladministration flouting Federal law and endangering national security?

Having the poster child of lawlessness call them on the carpet for it...
    Vladimir Putin says MOX shutdown breaches U.S.-Russia deal

Mary Orndorff Troyan, The Greenville News 4:34 p.m. EDT April 8, 2016

WASHINGTON – Russian President Vladimir Putin says President Obama’s decision to abandon the plutonium recycling project in South Carolina violates their agreement on disposing nuclear material and is why Putin skipped an international summit in Washington last week.

[...]

“This is not what we agreed on,” Putin said Thursday in St. Petersburg, according to an English-language transcript provided by the Kremlin.

The U.S. and Russia agreed in 2000 that each country would dispose of 34 metric tons of plutonium, enough to make 17,000 nuclear weapons. The deal, updated in 2010, said the U.S. would recycle the material into fuel for nuclear power reactors, a process that was supposed to happen at the MOX plant in South Carolina.

[...]

Putin’s comments indicate Moscow may not be willing to renegotiate the agreement at all. Putin questioned whether the dilute-and-dispose procedure would allow the U.S. to later retrieve the material and reprocess it back into weapons-grade plutonium.

“Now we will have to think about what to do about this and how to respond to this. By all indications, this will also be an irritant,” he said.

[...]

“We signed this agreement and settled on the procedures for the material’s destruction, agreed that this would be done on an industrial basis, which required the construction of special facilities,” Putin said. “Russia fulfilled its obligations in this regard and built these facilities, but our American partners did not.”

[...]

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/stor...deal/82802598/
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Nothing new. Obama and his Minions of Ignorance hate / loathe all things nuclear.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      Nothing new. Obama and his Minions of Ignorance hate / loathe all things nuclear.
      Doc doesn't care about Obama's stance on anything but Big Oil, for whom he works and from whom he gets those hefty bonuses he counts just another facet of his Church of Climatology in which he constantly preaches ahainst "Moabama" and "Gorebal".

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Doc doesn't care about Obama's stance on anything but Big Oil, for whom he works and from whom he gets those hefty bonuses he counts just another facet of his Church of Climatology in which he constantly preaches ahainst "Moabama" and "Gorebal".
        I know that! At least he didn't include a rigged poll...

But, Obama does hate nuclear and the leading cause is he's a scientific illiterate. I'd even go further and say he's a scientific denier. That is, he wants what the Progressive Left wants and actual facts, figures, rational or logical reasoning play no role in that.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
          I know that! At least he didn't include a rigged poll...

But, Obama does hate nuclear and the leading cause is he's a scientific illiterate. I'd even go further and say he's a scientific denier. That is, he wants what the Progressive Left wants and actual facts, figures, rational or logical reasoning play no role in that.
          I agree. I suspect that his hatred of nuclear power is based on his avid desire to cripple America's energy resources, just as he hates coal.

I often wonder what he thinks the White House is heated, cooled and lighted by.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            I agree. I suspect that his hatred of nuclear power is based on his avid desire to cripple America's energy resources, just as he hates coal.

I often wonder what he thinks the White House is heated, cooled and lighted by.
            I think it's based on his being a scientific illiterate... literally. I doubt he took any kind of science or engineering in school other than what he was forced to take, did mediocre in those classes, and had zero interest in what was being taught beyond getting a grade.
            Since then, he has parroted the Left's views on energy not knowing what the hell he's talking about other than that everybody he knows, who are all Leftists like himself, are saying similar things.

I have zero doubt Obama couldn't tell you how his blackberry gets power to recharge.

Comment

Guys, Obama is nearly out of the White House.
              Now, I understand that people fearing him might call him "Maobama" before the beginning of his administration, in 2008; at the time, one still had not seen what he'd do. So one might fear he'd do something vaguely reminescent of Mao.
              But I don't think he'll introduce Chinese Communism to the USA in the time left. Nor anybody of sane mind would say that what he has done, be it as bad as you might judge it, is Chinese Communism (let alone Mao's own form of that); we haven't seen the Red Guards marching in Washington, or the Cultural Revolution, now have we? Let's be reasonable.

So why not drop the meaningless nickname?
              Michele

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
                Guys, Obama is nearly out of the White House.
                Now, I understand that people fearing him might call him "Maobama" before the beginning of his administration, in 2008; at the time, one still had not seen what he'd do. So one might fear he'd do something vaguely reminescent of Mao.
                But I don't think he'll introduce Chinese Communism to the USA in the time left. Nor anybody of sane mind would say that what he has done, be it as bad as you might judge it, is Chinese Communism (let alone Mao's own form of that); we haven't seen the Red Guards marching in Washington, or the Cultural Revolution, now have we? Let's be reasonable.

So why not drop the meaningless nickname?
                Because I like the sound of it better than Franklin Delanobama...

Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

The stupidity of BHO is matched by his arrogance and his arrogance is matched by his stupidity .

The Clinton woman OTOH is clever, but nobody has accused her to be a decent person .

A lot of people have claimed that Donald is ....and ,but he is popular (which is the first requirement to become president .

Comrade Sanders is honest and a doctrinair Marxist .

Cruz is prompted by his ego : If I can't become president, no Republican will become president .

And Kasich ? Kasich who ?

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                    Because I like the sound of it better than Franklin Delanobama...

good one Doc
                    Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X