Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Alternate Theory on Rising Stupidity (It's not the Millenials Fault)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Alternate Theory on Rising Stupidity (It's not the Millenials Fault)

Anytime I see someone gripe about Millenials I get a bit of a chuckle out of it. Mostly I get this from Baby Boomers and let's just say that it is comically ironic for one generation to emerge from a haze of pot smoke and tie dye to gripe about shiftless young people.

Millenials these days have their heads full of stupid ideas!

I won't give them too much grief about it though because I have cultivated a couple of house rules when it comes to judging the virtues of a generation. 1. You can't judge someone's full character until they are at least in their thirties. 2. You can't judge the full measure of a generation until they all hit that mark.

My reasoning for these rules are simple: everybody is dumb and nave when they are in their teens and twenties and it takes time for them to mature and gain life experience. Looking at an empty headed college kid is like judging the taste of unripe fruit. Kids are going to be dumb and they're going to make bad decisions. That's their stock in trade. it is nothing to be mad at or ashamed of, we all go through that phase. It's the natural byproduct of a sophisticated brain with no life experience. The real measure of an individual is how you mature.

When my Dad was young he might as well have been an extra in Easy Rider.

Add some years in the Navy and wife and kid and by the time I could remember anything he was busy establishing a financially stable home. As did most boomers.

Now, having said that, I have noticed there does seem to be a rise of stupidity and political extremism in America. But I have also noticed that this isn't a generationally specific problem. Awhile back I was browsing through Facebook and came across a pack of rabid Bernie supporters. They were up to their eyeballs in left wing propaganda and rattling off crazy anti capitalist talking points left and right. They were also mostly in their FIFTIES AND SIXTIES. They were well along to being old enough to know better yet they had the political sophistication of nineteen year olds.

So this is my theory. There is something wrong with America, we are seeing a rise of ignorance and extremism. But it is cross generational. It is not the result of one bad crop. And I think the problem lies in educational philosophy.

As I said, everyone is young and dumb at the age of 20 but for most of western history, naivety and ignorance were corrected, not tolerated and indulged. When a young person came up with some random silly idea that was blatantly impractical, he was told to sit down and learn something by those that knew better. With ignorance being corrected by education, it had less room to germinate. But somewhere along the early to mid twentieth century there seemed to be a shift from correcting naivety to indulging it. If a young person came up with a silly notion it was nurtured. Young people no longer had it drilled into them that they needed to sit down, learn, and cultivate life experience, they were told that they were visionaries and this along with a romanticization of idealism lead to people not maturing intellectually. And this is why you see groups of boomers, xers, and some older millennials with crazy ideals. It's not the fault of one specific generation being particularly prone to stupidity, it's the result of an educational culture that encourages impractical, idealistic thinking.

My random theory for the day.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Someone in this forum once said that the worst thing you can do is call yourself smarter than someone, and it is pretty much a truth(although at the time I might have disagreed). For some reason though calling others stupid is not so bad.

OTOH, I think each generation is just a dumb. Millenials perhaps do have more opportunities to express that stupidity.
    Wisdom is personal

Comment

The problem with the Millennials is not stupidity per se, but their built-in attitude of entitlement without working for it, their overwhelming "me first" attitude, and their automatic assumption that a) they are unspecified victims, and b) the world owes them a very good living off the backs of others.

That is the stupid part.

Their other more critical failure is their inability to recognize and act on meaningful issues because they are constantly caught up in PC, feel-good CRAP.

They know nothing, they care about nothing, they produce nothing, they promote nothing and they are going nowhere at full speed ahead. Morals, ethics and simple courtesy ore as foreign to them as Martian. Essentially they are two-legged lemmings looking for the nearest cliff to run off of.

They have never experienced the adversity that builds character and gives meaning and value to life.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        The problem with the Millennials is not stupidity per se, but their built-in attitude of entitlement without working for it, their overwhelming "me first" attitude, and their automatic assumption that a) they are unspecified victims, and b) the world owes them a very good living off the backs of others.

You're describing the 20somthings. Among us older millennials you don't see as much of that and like I said I have seen the same kind of mentality among some boomers.

Young millennials are goofy but let's see how many grow out of it. I grew out of me first and never had much of a dip in victimhood. In the mean time there is a subset of non millennials who no longer have the excuse of youth yet speak the same way.

That is the stupid part.

Their other more critical failure is their inability to recognize and act on meaningful issues because they are constantly caught up in PC, feel-good CRAP.
        I will say this. When you get out into the country even the 20something millennials aren't full of PC feel good crap.

They know nothing, they care about nothing, they produce nothing, they promote nothing and they are going nowhere at full speed ahead.
        That could describe most students of any generation.

Morals, ethics and simple courtesy ore as foreign to them as Martian. Essentially they are two-legged lemmings looking for the nearest cliff to run off of.
        When it comes to manners, that is more geography and family culture. I was once addressed as sir by a church camp kid and this was back when I was just a 20something myself. I see a lot of minding of the p's and q's where I live but this is the Midwest and manners are a stronger virtue out here than in, say, California.

They have never experienced the adversity that builds character and gives meaning and value to life.
        Oh I beg to differ. There are a number of millennials that have been to war, some enduring multiple tours. Millenials face the challenge of coming from families where divorce is at an all time high and trying to make a better life for their children without that positive example all while trying to stay employed after 8+ years of having the economy screwed into the ground.

They haven't experienced the level of toil and turmoil of the Greatest Generation but it hasn't been a cakewalk either.
        A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

I'm from the missing generation - those of us born during WWII - and none of that applies to how we were raised, nor did we ever behave in the way the younger generations do now.

Making excuses for them and diverting attention by constantly claiming that they are no different from previous generations seems to be the politically correct norm, and it's total BS.

The standards, or or rather the complete lack of standards of today bears no resemblance at all to the world I grew up in.

Comment

Blam the parents not the kids. What did the parents do to foster this? Give freely with out question?

MM i assume if you wanted say a comic book your farther made you work for the money. To many kids these days ask and get. I had a list of choirs my mom got home and expected supper cooked. I got a allowances so i would buy my luxury item's with money i worked for. To day kids want a PC game and boom they have it, wants a choclate boom there you go.

So blame the past generation not the current.
            you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

I'd agree with andy that no one knows the value of work anymore. Also the Internet allows people to communicate with those of like mind worldwide, so small groups that ordinarily would dissipate as their viewpoint isn't valid enough for widespread acceptance can share with those of like klmind only and develop serious group think issues.
              Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

I'm from the missing generation - those of us born during WWII - and none of that applies to how we were raised, nor did we ever behave in the way the younger generations do now.
                This doesn't apply to you but it does apply to your "missing generation":

During the late 1950s and early 1960s, novelist Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters lived communally in California. Members included Beat Generation hero Neal Cassady, Ken Babbs, Carolyn Adams (aka Mountain Girl/Carolyn Garcia), Stewart Brand, Del Close, Paul Foster, George Walker, Sandy Lehmann-Haupt and others. Their early escapades were documented in Tom Wolfe's book The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. With Cassady at the wheel of a school bus named Further, the Merry Pranksters traveled across the United States to celebrate the publication of Kesey's novel Sometimes a Great Notion and to visit the 1964 World's Fair in New York City. The Merry Pranksters were known for using cannabis, amphetamine, and LSD, and during their journey they "turned on" many people to these drugs. The Merry Pranksters filmed and audio taped their bus trips, creating an immersive multimedia experience that would later be presented to the public in the form of festivals and concerts. The Grateful Dead wrote a song about the Merry Pranksters' bus trips called "That's It for the Other One".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippie...2.80.931966.29
                Last edited by Nichols; 27 Apr 16, 07:57.
                "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

I was born at the end of the 60's, and it all went downhill after that
                  Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years...

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                    But I have also noticed that this isn't a generationally specific problem. Awhile back I was browsing through Facebook and came across a pack of rabid Bernie supporters. They were up to their eyeballs in left wing propaganda and rattling off crazy anti capitalist talking points left and right. They were also mostly in their FIFTIES AND SIXTIES. They were well along to being old enough to know better yet they had the political sophistication of nineteen year olds.
                    Those were just old hippies that never outgrew it (just like Bernie), I have met a few, one can spot them in public, most of the men are bald on top but still wear a pony tail and the women all have long hair (mostly gray) and still wear their love beads and all of them complain about the price of everything.
                    Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

That is the stupid part.

They know nothing, they care about nothing, they produce nothing, they promote nothing and they are going nowhere at full speed ahead. Morals, ethics and simple courtesy ore as foreign to them as Martian. Essentially they are two-legged lemmings looking for the nearest cliff to run off of.

Sound a lot like the Baby-Boomers who protested Vietnam, burned draft cards and bras, and for much of the 1960s "turned on, tuned in, and dropped out." If Millenials are are possessed of all of those characteristics, then the question that begs asking is, from where did they learn and acquire those traits?

If our children are failing, then the failing is, in all likelihood, is their elders', since they learn far more from our example than they do from any other source. Now honestly, have Baby-Boomers consistently set the best of examples?
                      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Sure you did. There were hippies in that age range. Like I said EVERYONE is nave and goofy when they're 20. Anyone who pretends they weren't is lying.

Also if you were born during WWII your experience wasn't much different from boomers. You're looking at a 5 year gap max between you and the oldest boomers. You would still be a kid during the 50s and a teen/young adult during the 60s.

This is one of the traps of generation labeling. You have overlap and the experiences of one may be similar to the experiences of another. And the generation boundary lines sometimes make as much sense as post colonial border mapping. The current consensus is that millennials start at 1982 although, just like post colonial bordering again, no one can agree on that either. http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...ial-generation

But regardless of which date you choose, the experience of those of us born in the early 80s is extremely different from the experiences of those born in the 90s. The old millennial childhood has more in common with the Generation X childhood. Yet we were lumped arbitrarily together with 90s kids.

Making excuses for them and diverting attention by constantly claiming that they are no different from previous generations seems to be the politically correct norm, and it's total BS.
                        I'm not making excuses for anyone, boomer or millennial. I'm just giving my opinion as to the cause.

The standards, or or rather the complete lack of standards of today bears no resemblance at all to the world I grew up in.
                        Which standard and where? I see plenty of politeness and manners where I live.

Comment

I blame Govt schools.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                            I blame Govt schools.
                            That's part of the problem but colleges and universities play just as big of a role. I would say education culture in general.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
                              Blam the parents not the kids. What did the parents do to foster this? Give freely with out question?

MM i assume if you wanted say a comic book your farther made you work for the money. To many kids these days ask and get. I had a list of choirs my mom got home and expected supper cooked. I got a allowances so i would buy my luxury item's with money i worked for. To day kids want a PC game and boom they have it, wants a choclate boom there you go.

So blame the past generation not the current.
                              I worked all the way through high school. Made me appreciate how money is earned, and to carefully consider how I spent it. It also developed my work ethic.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X