No announcement yet.

Prom shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the moment, I don't really care about the politics. I just wish our kids experience some of their iconic coming of age events as kids. It would be nice if someone spiking the punch, or putting their raincoat on, had been the biggest concern of the evening.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
      No, because Scotland is so small, smaller than most of the 50 states in the US.

Hey, have you guys made Claymores illegal for the Common peons yet?

Allow me to speak for the Liberal orthodoxy-

Heretic!
      Madman!
      Are you saying that Guns can actually prevent crime?!?
      Only the Police, the Army, and all those armed bodyguards for every politician and Rich guy can be trusted to have guns. We little people are just to evil stupid and CRAZY!!!
      Bow down and be meek before your superiors in the establishment.

We now return you to your regular programing...
      Considering that the longest blade that can be legally carried was 3" long (before a recent crackdown - you're now looking at 2 years if you carry a knife in the wrong place), and a Claymore is four-and-a-half feet, do I really have to go into detail ?

Oh, and by the way, a Claymore is a two-handed broadsword with distinctive quillons (forward-swept with three-lobed tips). What most people refer to as a claymore is actually the 3 foot broadsword, with its distinctive basket-hilt.

Our firearms laws are among the strictest in the world.
      Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

But gee, I mean don't you feel les of a man when you can't carry a gun? Every man should carry a gun or two just to prove they are a man. Why can't you understand that logic?
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Of course Scotland isn't really a legitimate comparison. They don't have a failed state on their Southern border pouring illegals, drugs, and firearms across. They also don't have massive street and prison gangs. I'd be willing to bet half of tonight's paycheck that the United Blood Nation gang has more members than Scotland has people. I'm not even looking at associates or affiliates.

We have an entire counterculture that doesn't work, sells dope, produces endless streams of music about b*tches and hoes and dope and fighting the police....and then acts their music, or rather their art imitates their life, it's a toss up.
          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post
            That was my point - a country where shootings are so commonplace as to be unremarkable.

Shootings in the UK are headline news because they are so (thankfully) rare.
            http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2005/s...crime.scotland

Among your peers you are #2 when it comes to homicidal tendencies. Funny.

As for numbers, of course murder is more common in the US. You're a tiny postage stamp in the middle of the British Isles and we span over 4 time zones. More people = more murders. We can't cover 4+ time zones worth of ANYTHING on national news. Where as you guys are small enough for a spelling bee to rate news coverage.
            A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Considering that the longest blade that can be legally carried was 3" long (before a recent crackdown - you're now looking at 2 years if you carry a knife in the wrong place), and a Claymore is four-and-a-half feet, do I really have to go into detail ?

Oh, and by the way, a Claymore is a two-handed broadsword with distinctive quillons (forward-swept with three-lobed tips). What most people refer to as a claymore is actually the 3 foot broadsword, with its distinctive basket-hilt.

Our firearms laws are among the strictest in the world.
              And despite those firearms laws you have managed #2 in the homicide bracket among your peers. Considering you managed that without guns, that's impressive. So the way I see it, forget banning guns. We should be banning Scotsmen.
              A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2005/s...crime.scotland

Among your peers you are #2 when it comes to homicidal tendencies. Funny.

As for numbers, of course murder is more common in the US. You're a tiny postage stamp in the middle of the British Isles and we span over 4 time zones. More people = more murders. We can't cover 4+ time zones worth of ANYTHING on national news. Where as you guys are small enough for a spelling bee to rate news coverage.
                Glasgow has a lot to answer for.
                Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Back in the late 60s when I lived and worked in Glasga news programmes used to refer to "Scotland and Glasgow" as if the latter were an entirely separate entity - "isn' tha' so jimmy".
                  In terms of population density and sheer murderous intensity Glasgow was the equal of any US city except that malcies were used and not guns which kept the collateral down.
                  Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                  Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

To me the question is 'How many of us own firearms and have never broken the law with them?'

I think the real answer is in the millions...
                    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Congratulations. Now you know what it feels like to be an American.

Americans get a lot of flak for crime but that high crime is focused in areas like Chicago. Out here in Centralia you have a gun for every man, woman, and child and no crime to be heard of while in Glasgow you have a gun ban and knife regulations and they still run up the murder rate. Same with Chicago.

Comment

Agreed, it's more a function of people concentrated in a place, and other social factors at work with those situations, rather than simply the presence of firearms.

Comment

Shh, us rural folks like our peace and quiet...
                          Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            At the risk of over-stating the obvious, we are not the UK and you are not America.

Don't beat yourself up about it. I am sure given time that you guys could have come up with the deep fried Mars bar

And while your nation and many others abhors our violence, you never hesitate to seek our help or our aid, especially during world wars.

You might also consider not labeling 300 million Americans the same way you label the violent among us, lest we make the same comparison with the violence in the UK and your own citizens.
                            And in the face of some strong competition we have a winner - cliched American response to anyone from overseas. Self-righteousness, chip on shoulder, whinging about bailing others out and of course five bonus points for mentioning the wars.
                            Last edited by Sergio; 02 May 16, 02:42.
                            "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
                            G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
                            Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                              Agreed, it's more a function of people concentrated in a place, and other social factors at work with those situations, rather than simply the presence of firearms.
                              If that was true then Europe would have just as high a murder rate.
                              social factors play the more important of the two.
                              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                                If that was true then Europe would have just as high a murder rate.
                                social factors play the more important of the two.
                                I'd say the factors work in this progression:

Cultural

Socioeconomic

Density

Where the first two are equal, the higher the density, the more crime per capita. Hence Glasgow has more crime than the Scottish Average, and NYC, Chicago, D.C, and LA have more crime than the American (or even their state) average.

There are significant cultural factors at play, which kind of get glossed over as one side calls Euros 'pansies' and the other side calls Americans 'gun nuts'. On average, a German citizen identifies as German, and German culture...correct me if I'm wrong. What we see in the US is that subsets identify more as being "Blank"-American rather than American, celebrate "Blank"-American culture, and tend more towards conflict with other subsets......or even conflict within their own subset, breaking it down even further. Counter-cultures and alternative cultures are also at a point where they're more popular and more entrenched than even American culture.

A culturally homogenous society (note culture, not race or ethnic) tends to be less violent within itself than a multicultural society.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X