US Navy accuses Gulf commander of misconduct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Navy accuses Gulf commander of misconduct

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) A U.S. Navy officer relieved of commanding a Persian Gulf patrol ship allegedly failed to maintain equipment to the point of exposing "his crew to unnecessary risk," interfered with an inquiry into his actions and once slept drunk on a bench at a Dubai port, according to a naval investigation.

The accusations against Lt. Cmdr. Jeremiah Daley saw the Navy on March 12 remove him from the USS Typhoon, a Manama, Bahrain-based vessel patrolling a region crucial to global oil supplies where American forces routinely have tense encounters with Iranian forces.

Daley, now assigned to Task Force 55, was on leave Thursday and unavailable for comment, according to the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet, which is based in Bahrain and oversees the task force. Later reached by The Associated Press, Daley said he was challenging the report and appealing his punishment as a "good number of things are 100 percent not true." He declined to elaborate, saying he wanted the appeal process "to take its course."
    AP - Full Article

From what I saw deploying to Bahrain, the USN really didn't have the facilities to maintain any sort of combatant locally. The Bahraini's rely heavily on TCNs for labor and really aren't capable of being a substitute.

If you have a ship with a crew where most of the sailors aboard are E-5 and down, doing more than routine maintenance is going to be tough. The Navy simply doesn't put the effort into training people to do difficult repairs and such to equipment these days.

Comment

Wow, the commander of a boat with a 24 man crew is being relieved. Now that's earth shattering news. This guy is just some low-level CO of a boat.

Comment

The Navy requires Lieutenant Commander to run a 24 man crew?

Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post

Pruitt
          It appears that one particular Lieutenant Commander had problems with even that...

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
            It appears that one particular Lieutenant Commander had problems with even that...
            I would argue that by extension the Navy has forgotten how to train leaders and Sailors in its pursuit of social change. (no different than the Army or Air Force)

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post

Pruitt
              The Navy has been taking stupid pills for the last few years, that deplorable aquaflage uniform is a perfect case in point!
              Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
              Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X