• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Exorcist
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkV View Post
    No apes are bright enough to know when to back off
    Looks like you just proved your own point.

Kudos!

Leave a comment:

• Gixxer86g
    replied
    Originally posted by Surrey View Post
    The su24 is quite a big plane. Is it really the ideal aircraft for a close flyby?
    Well, it's an attack aircraft....... And it's big......

Leave a comment:

• Surrey
    replied
    The su24 is quite a big plane. Is it really the ideal aircraft for a close flyby?

Leave a comment:

• Gixxer86g
    replied
    From the BBC article:

"The US Air Force has two solutions: either not to fly near our borders or to turn the transponder on for identification."
    I prefer a third option. Provide our recon a/c with some little friends.

Leave a comment:

• MarkV
    replied
    They are still at it
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36177405

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    Originally posted by Johan Banér View Post
    Really? It was a fairly long time ago, and I feel conflicted by it. It amounted to "out-crazying 'Crazy Ivan" in order to make a fairly dangerous point. But the Soviet pilots and mariners were clearly disgusted by it, which was the intention of course.

It's kind of the problem if going into a fight where you KNOW you're overmatched according all reasonable metrics. You have to summon up this thing the Japanese have a name for — "sakki" — killing intent. No way of even temporarily intimidating a stronger potential adversary (who still doesn't want to get hurt) without it.
    Yes, gives me a warm feeling as well.

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
    There's old pilots and there's bold pilots. There's no such thing as old bold pilots...
    Of course that is totally false.

Doolittle 97

Yeager 93

Apollo crews 80's

Leave a comment:

• Johan Banér
    replied
    Originally posted by johns624 View Post
    PS- I also liked it because it belies the image of Swedes as being peaceful, just because they were neutral.
    Yes, well, not the Swedish airforce at least.

Sweden now since October last year has a new CiC (överbefälhavare, and no it's not technically the king), who is one of these Cold War pilots, Michael Bydén. That's a sign of the times — they've gone and appointed a Swedish armed forces commander who is known to actually like a fight...

Leave a comment:

• Bwaha
    replied
    There's old pilots and there's bold pilots. There's no such thing as old bold pilots...

Leave a comment:

• johns624
    replied
    Originally posted by Johan Banér View Post
    Really? It was a fairly long time ago, and I feel conflicted by it. It amounted to "out-crazying 'Crazy Ivan" in order to make a fairly dangerous point. But the Soviet pilots and mariners were clearly disgusted by it, which was the intention of course.

It's kind of the problem if going into a fight where you KNOW you're overmatched according all reasonable metrics. You have to summon up this thing the Japanese have a name for — "sakki" — killing intent. No way of even temporarily intimidating a stronger potential adversary (who still doesn't want to get hurt) without it.
    Maybe it's because I grew up in Detroit and am only 5"8" and 155lbs. I sorta lived the same way. You never back down to a bigger opponent (all of them). You might get your ass whupped, but as long as they knew they'd been in a fight, you were good after that.

PS- I also liked it because it belies the image of Swedes as being peaceful, just because they were neutral.

Leave a comment:

• MarkV
    replied
    Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
    The psychology of international politics -

strange how nation states (or zuperpowers as my friend Hawker likes to call them), when it comes down to it - behave just like apes
    No apes are bright enough to know when to back off

Leave a comment:

• Gixxer86g
    replied
    Originally posted by DeltaOne View Post
    Regardless of the reason, ordered or not, it is still a very dangerous game being played. What happens when the 'other side' decides to one-up the side who just did this? These things can escalate very rapidly. The slightest miscue and it could lead to war. If I was on either side, I would inform my rival that it won't happen again without a response - that being that the plane is shot down.
    Don, the more I think about it, the more it seems that this was a miscue. I think the pilot intended to make the pass at a less controversial distance but screwed up. A theory at least as valid as any other.

Leave a comment:

• Johan Banér
    replied
    Originally posted by DeltaOne View Post
    Regardless of the reason, ordered or not, it is still a very dangerous game being played. What happens when the 'other side' decides to one-up the side who just did this? These things can escalate very rapidly. The slightest miscue and it could lead to war. If I was on either side, I would inform my rival that it won't happen again without a response - that being that the plane is shot down.
    Yes, and it's why the stronger side tends to back off and cool it. It usually can afford to.

My bet is on the Russians reasonably expecting the Americans to complain loudly, but do nothing to actually escalte. Much as Russia did over the Turks downing one of their planes.

Leave a comment:

• Snowygerry
    replied
    No way of even temporarily intimidating a stronger potential adversary (who still doesn't want to get hurt) without it.
    The psychology of international politics -

strange how nation states (or zuperpowers as my friend Hawker likes to call them), when it comes down to it - behave just like apes

Leave a comment:

• DeltaOne
    replied

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X